3D Export/Import issues (Niftools-addon, Blender) FNV

Emalphi

Some time ago i released my service rifle remake for FNV, which is fine and dandy but I have realized that during the implemetation I screwed up the vertex normals. I suspect, from what i have read, that this occured when exporting to .3ds before importing into nifskope since this strips the normals and nifskope generates them instead. so I thought that a reasonable solution to this were to export directly to .nif using the blender niftools however this has shown to be quite frustrating to do.

When i export to .3ds, I get the uv's but not the (vertex) normals but when I export .nif using niftools-plugin for blender the opposite happends, perfect normals with no uv's.
I'm not sure how i should procede from here, I need help, since I do want to make more weapon mods but not being able to get this step down is a bummer.

I have looked for tutorials on the subject and have found a couple, but none of the have completely addressed the problems I'm having.

.ps. I'm using Nif plugin 2.60 alpha experimental and Blender v2.79b

.pps. I've tried exporting .obj and subsequently importing .obj into Nifskope using two different version of nifskope, which results in errors and no uv map.

.ppps. I also tested the 2.49 version of blender+nifplugin, same results.

Any help would be appriciated.

Does the "Update All Tangent Spaces" Spell have any affect for you?

I have never modded for FNV, but I recall if you don't have certain settings ticked regarding tangent space ticked in the 3DS exporter for FO4 your normals get messed up, and the nifskope spell above fixed it. (Sorry, I can't look up the 3DS exporter settings in question as I no longer have 3DS.)

Edited by mmdestiny

Does the "Update All Tangent Spaces" Spell have any affect for you?

I have never modded for FNV, but I recall if you don't have certain settings ticked regarding tangent space ticked in the 3DS exporter for FO4 your normals get messed up, and the nifskope spell above fixed it. (Sorry, I can't look up the 3DS exporter settings in question as I no longer have 3DS.)

Thank you for writing. Yes, I've used that spell and it improved the normals a bit, but they're not the "original" normals, so to say.

Only other advice I can give is something that I may be the only person on earth that uses haha - do your modelling work in Cinema4D and generate the nif through Outfit Studio (I have yet to meet another Nexus user that uses C4D).

Again, YMMV for New Vegas because I'm not sure what the nif file structure differences are, but with FO4 you can export your mesh from C4D back to .obj, import the .obj in Outfit Studio, uncheck the "SubIndex" and "Skinned" properties, and export to nif that way. Then you just need to cut the BSTriShape out and paste it into your working nif. If it is truly 3DS that is messing things up, it's worth a shot if you have access to C4D.

Edited by mmdestiny

Only other advice I can give is something that I may be the only person on earth that uses haha - do your modelling work in Cinema4D and generate the nif through Outfit Studio (I have yet to meet another Nexus user that uses C4D).

Again, YMMV for New Vegas because I'm not sure what the nif file structure differences are, but with FO4 you can export your mesh from C4D back to .obj, import the .obj in Outfit Studio, uncheck the "SubIndex" and "Skinned" properties, and export to nif that way. Then you just need to cut the BSTriShape out and paste it into your working nif. If it is truly 3DS that is messing things up, it's worth a shot if you have access to C4D.

That's interesting. I've never heard of Cinema4D yet. Why do you like that particular program? I'm always interested to learn more about programs as I think a big part of the matter is finding programs that fit us as users. I hate Photoshop for instance but am exploring the possibility that I could get into texturing through other methods involving different programs.

C4D is primarily a movie vfx/CGI software (for example, the Iron Man movies used C4D heavily). It's only recently (last 10 years?) started being used for games. I love it because it's UI is infinitely more intuitive and user friendly than anything Autodesk puts out, plus it's what I was trained on in school. It's also nice that they still do perpetual licenses unlike Autodesk, but it's a high-end software so it'll put you back like 5 grand haha. Edited by mmdestiny

There's a few things u can try in Nifskope; right click the mesh and try "Face Normals'', or "remove duplicate vertices", and if all else fails, smooth normals at 45 degree angle. If all of these fail, u need to go back to blender and weld all overlapping vertices in there as well as reapply your smoothing groups before export.

While i don't have access to C4D, I'll test outfit studio, if I'm able to, and see what results i get.

There's a few things u can try in Nifskope; right click the mesh and try "Face Normals'', or "remove duplicate vertices", and if all else fails, smooth normals at 45 degree angle. If all of these fail, u need to go back to blender and weld all overlapping vertices in there as well as reapply your smoothing groups before export.

Yeah, I've tested all of those, except for that last one, I'll see if I can do something with it.

Thank you.

I'll second that. I do everything for FNV in Blender 2.49b.

I see no end of problems that people have in these forums using newer versions of Blender. If you want things to work, 2.49b is your best bet.

You can find a link to Blender with all of the right versions of the nif tools all in one package here:

https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Getting_started_creating_mods_using_GECK