Convert SE mod to LE

Sticz

A little late, but the problem with your method is that the records you copy this way will still have form 44, not 43 in them, which is like doing nothing at all. This means the only possible way to copy them from an SE plugin is to do everything by hand, first creating the base categories, then the entries, and only then copy the actual content.

• 5 weeks later...

Backporting meshes is not at all the same as trying to backport the .esp file and it's disingenuous of you to imply otherwise.

There is no such thing as a successful backport of the .esp file - which is the most important part of 99% of the mods you'll find out there. Those will break, period. Actively campaigning to break peoples' saves is abhorrent.

Well first of all dont install mods midgame. SO what if I, like everybody should start a new game with it? Stop talking already. if it works it works. The modding community would be nowhere as of today with people like you thinking nothing is possible out of the ordinary

A little late, but the problem with your method is that the records you copy this way will still have form 44, not 43 in them, which is like doing nothing at all. This means the only possible way to copy them from an SE plugin is to do everything by hand, first creating the base categories, then the entries, and only then copy the actual content

dude, that's pretty much what the method does. Did you read it? You're making a whole new .esp in form 43. You are copying over all the entries into form 43. You're just doing it in the easiest and quickest way possible.

• 1 month later...

Whenever I copy the records from the source file (SSE mod) to the empty esp (from LE), the SSE esp becomes the master of the LE plugin. I guess I'm missing something.

Apologies for just seeing your message. What you do in this case is that instead of "copy as overwrite" you "Copy as new record" into you new blank esp. Make sure the new blank ESP has any other masters added to it.

ie. You want to port over Vivid Weathers.esp from SSE to LE.

1. Make your blank (name is Vivid Weathers_Temp.esp for now)
  2. Open both esp's in SSEEdit
  3. Click and select all the items below "File header"
  4. Right click and select "Copy as new record" or "Deep Copy as new record"
  5. Add them to "Vivid Weathers_Temp.esp
  6. Sometimes it will ask you for a prefix. Add the first 2 alpha-numeric characters - Here's an example of where you find the number (only you'd take the ones from the Vivid Weather_Temp.esp) : https://i.imgur.com/YVhxk8c.jpg
  7. If it asks you for a suffix, just skip and leave it blank then continue
  8. Click ok
  9. once finished, open the location where Flowers_Temp.esp is located and change it to Flowers.esp (the same name as the SSE version of the file.
  10. Place in your Skyrim LE load order.

... This should make it where you don't need the other as a master

Can your method still work if I use one of the plugins from the high res texture pack?

They're empty esp files but they are Form 40, not 43.

Also your step 9 confuses me. I'm not sure how changing the name of the temp file takes care of the SE esp being a master

Edit: Decided to just open the SE plugin in the CK and save. Then opened it in TES5Edit and SSEEdit to confirm the form change. Don't know if it's really that simple but the mod itself isn't complicated. just some changes to vanilla assets.

Edit 2: It works just fine. Who knew it would be even simpler than copying the records in xEdit. Just open the esp in the CK and save. I suppose it's ok since it's a very simple mod, either way though I'm happy....for now. Thanks Phoenix.

Edited by RyanBurnsRed

• 2 months later...

@r02B

Open Tes5Edit

Copy something simple (like a piece of armor or something) as overwrite into a new .esp

delete just the thing you copied (the piece of armor from the example) but keep the .esp

continue as I mentioned above

@Arthmoor

It really doesnt matter if you buy it or not particularly if you havent even done it. It was suggested to me via reddit, I tried it with potions patch, it worked. Fact. Two playthroughs later, no issues. Now in my defense, this was a patch and didnt involve meshes, but I did it, and it worked. Plead your case all you want, but the fact is that it worked for me. The only real bogus claim is your being stuck in something you supposedly knew, discrediting me without even an attempt at this, and possible refusal to learn something.

Hate to bother, but is it possible for you to go into deeper detail with the entire process please? I have no experience (I mean none at all) using either TES5Edit or SSEEdit (due to the fact i never cared to use either program), and would a mod like Revenants Of The Forbidden Order be able to port to LE? (The mod itself contains a small quest and 2 armor sets, one of which I would like to get my hands on within LE, as I do not own SE.)

Hate to bother, but is it possible for you to go into deeper detail with the entire process please? I have no experience (I mean none at all) using either TES5Edit or SSEEdit (due to the fact i never cared to use either program), and would a mod like Revenants Of The Forbidden Order be able to port to LE? (The mod itself contains a small quest and 2 armor sets, one of which I would like to get my hands on within LE, as I do not own SE.)

Sure just sent you a DM

The point that seems to have been missed here, is that some types of form are unchanged between 43 and 44 whilst others are differently structured. If the record structure is the same, you can backport that form. If the record structure is different, in general you can't because LE won't understand records with the new structure. So whether on not you can backport a mod depends on what kind of mod it is and what kinds of forms it contains.

That you can successfully backport a mod containing certain types of form does not mean that your technique will work on other types of mod.

What you need to be asking is which types of form have changed and which types of form are unchanged.

Oh trust me, the point was not missed at all here:

... Now in my defense, this was a patch and didnt involve meshes, but I did it, and it worked.

The problem that started all this was due to archaic thinking with supposedly meshes not being able to be converted, etc. well, we all know that's not the case anymore.

And you're correct that record structure needs to be taken into account. You're pretty safe with the majority of mods, though but either way, you always want to really look and compare the mods when you create your new blank plugin in form 43. Some of those more complex records (again, I can't think of any atm) would have to be manually copy or even re-create .

Also, I didn't make up the method, it was shown to me. At the time of entering this conversation I had no idea it was such a contemptuous issue. lol

• 3 weeks later...

Quoted for Ding

I've a small handful of personal mods I've created . . .

I have a mod that is a helper script with added console commands for moving s#*! around the cell.

Another is a modernized version of Portable OnDemand Disposable Unlimited Mannequins (I call it Better Unlimited Mannequins... BUMs)

And then I have a pretty good handful of armor/outfit mashups, basically a bunch of handmade ESPs built from various other armors/outfits using Nifskope, Bodyslide Outfit Studio and TES5Edit.

I know I'd have my work cut out for me . . . but I'm just getting started on the mental process of conversion.

But my question is, conceptually speaking, i'm trying to get a handle on how "difficult" it's going to be, per mod, to up-vert to SSE?

Also, while I'm at it, is SSE the same as SE, just a different term?

Thanks for any reply.

----

Also also . . . it's my favorite thing ever when people can't admit a mistake. Double, triple, quadrupling down on their own accomplishments, moving the goal posts, appeals to credibility, etc etc. When all they have to say is "Huh. I didn't know that."

I had a very similar conversaion with a Cities: Skylines modder about documentation of all things, and the belief that documentation at any level is extra work. "You wouldn't last for a day" he says. Well, so, I had to link him to the docs I wrote on the Slab of Lovers (ahem I dunno if there's still drama but just in case) for HDT Physics Extension . . . posts with couple million total views and only a few hundred posts.

Professionalism isn't a skill that comes easily. For those that need it most, it's usually learned the hard way.