Content is no longer present warning

audiodef

I have not played FO4 for a couple of weeks or so. In that time, I have changed nothing - did not update FO4, did not update NMM - did not touch anything FO4 related.

Today I tried to play and got this: https://steamcommunity.com/id/audiodef/screenshot/963091938892120178

I looked around to see what needed updating. I let Steam go ahead and update FO4. I downloaded and installed the corresponding F4SE. I tried reinstalling one or two of the mods that are "missing." None of that helped.

In addition, I get popups after trying to launch that say:

"Unsupported runtime version (expected v1.10.82). cc_cleaner will be disabled."

Followed immediately by:

"LooksMenu version Error: expected game version 1.10.82.0

your game version is 1.10.98.0

some features may not work correctly"

And then:

"Your game version: v1.10.98.0

Expected version: v1.10.82.0

Mod Configuration Menu will be disabled."

Then the game runs, and the missing plugins error appears when I try to load a save. If I ignore the warning, the game actually loads, but mods are obviously missing.

Actually, I think I know what needs to be done about the last two - I'm just including them for completeness.

What the heck could mess up my game without having touched it at all?

EDIT: Checked my Skyrim SE with NMM, seems okay, so I think I can rule out general filesystem booboos. Everything else in my Win10 setup works.

Edited by audiodef

What you're experiencing is what happens after an update of the game:

- Every new version of the game also requires to update F4SE - which you obviously did.

- What you probably didn't do: Along with F4SE, there are aslo some mods depending on it, that must be updated, too. To be clear: Not every mod using F4SE must be updated every time there is a new version of the game and F4SE, but some have to.

- The error messages basically tell you this: You'll have to update some mods depending on F4SE. In your case this is Looksmenu, CC Cleaner and MCM. Download and install the latest version of these mods.

- There might be other mods, too, that need an update. If you still got issues after updating these three, you may have to go through your load order, look for other mods depending on F4SE and check for updates.

If you don't like these somewhat annyoing update procedures, you can prevent the game from auto-updating: Set the update options in Steam to "update on launch only" (or whatever it is called exactly), then always launch the game with F4SE. Steam won't count this as "launching" the game - meaning no more forced updates for you. ^^

I wondered if I need to update the mods. I'm going to look into that, but... I posted this because all this happened BEFORE anything updated. To reiterate:

1. I played, things worked, I exited to desktop.

2. For two weeks, I did not even touch NMM or play the game, or run Steam.

3. Some time later, I ran NMM and played and this happened. The same game version was still there on my system that I used last time.

4. To troubleshoot, I THEN updated the game and F4SE.

So this was really weird. None of my other NMM games had any weirdness.