Skyrim Without Sound

Talamaeus

Okay, so my computer decided that its USB and sound were going to stop working without my permission. Any chance someone knows of a way to either A) Fix these problems, although I've tried driver install, uninstall, replacement, using older versions, and even contemplated taking my laptop apart, but holding off for now. or B) Simply make Skyrim runnable without sound? I know Oblivion works without sound, and so do Unreal Tournament 2004, UT3, SimCity Societies, etc. In otherwords, the only game right now that I am interested in playing won't work because Skyrim refuses to function without sound. Help?

What do you mean it won't work without sound? I turn on the subtitles and play it without sound all the time.

edit: you probably have a loose connection somewhere that's making your sound/usb not work

Edited by thompsonar

Make sure to take the opportunity to add your own sound effects to the game by making sounds with your mouth. :biggrin:

Always.

As for the game not running because it can't detect your sound hardware I'm not sure... have you looked into a virtual sound card emulator (search it on google). I don't know how they really work as I've never used one, but I would think you could set up one of those and see if the game detects it (like a virtual disk).

Edited by thompsonar

@Talamaeus, wondering what brand/model laptop and OS you're having trouble getting sound/usb's working again.

Some laptops come with so much crappy bloatware and badly devised driver schemes/configs i'm surprised

you haven't found a fix for your 'it suddenly stopped working' issues posted somewhere on the net.

All i'm saying is you/something may have disabled/tweaked a service or driver or application setting that indirectly has

dependencies impacting the usb ports and built-in sound chip in your system.

It doesn't seem like anything is physically broken, just needs to be reconfigured correctly.

I think there may be a lot of people here running Skyrim on laptops that may be familiar with your specific issue.

Edited by xlcr

I had an old Toshiba that had issues with some of the peripherals coming unplugged. This was 10 years ago though. I had to open it up a couple times and reconnect the headphone jack, and the usb ports.

But it could very well be a software/driver issue as well as xlcr pointed out. But if not it's either a bad card or a loose connection in there somewhere. Does the system recognize the device as present at all? If you look in device manager are you seeing anything under sound/audio (or whatever) or are there any "unknown" devices being picked up?

I don't know if there's any sort of edit you could do to skyrim to take out the sound device check.

It registers the card, but keeps saying the device cannot start. Other than that, I may have to look inside, and I'm not used to working on the inside of laptops. Desktops, no problem. Laptops, never tried it, so I am a bit nervous about it. I do know, however, that the warrantee is voided by now.

Well if it's detecting it everything should be physically connected on the inside. Perhaps the card just went bad. I've had mixed results when opening up laptops. I've done it on about 4 of them and fixed 3, the 4th I screwed up and it never worked again. My old Toshiba was one I fixed and got back together no problem, just had a couple screws left over (oops).

I recommend taking pictures so you know where everything goes and doing it all in one sitting. The one I messed up I left for a day and came back and had no idea where everything went (and I didn't have pictures).

Most of them you end up taking completely apart just to access anything. Usually have to take off the screen completely to get to some screws, and every panel that you can remove along with any cards that can be accessed externally (they have screws under them sometimes that hold something else in place). It's kind of a pain.

One I took all the way apart to get to the hard drive before realizing that all I had to do was open up one panel on the side and it was right there... DOH! Live and learn.

But I think your problem is a bad card or a software issue (but who knows, I could be wrong). I'd make sure I tried everything else I could think of (and searched the problem thouroghly on the internet and contacted the manufacturer) before opening it up. Best of luck though.