Heavy Traffic ×

Fallout 76 is tickling my survival training brain cells.

Deleted54170User

Do you think there will be anything different about it from the games Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 4?

I wasn't able to afford a doctor after I got out of the house. People would walk up to me and tell me I should see a doctor when I was ill traveling around the states looking for work. I began to learn how street people doctored each other. It was almost like Mom did while growing up.

But things got so we had to rely on what we all already knew. If we didn't disaster happened. If we learned new health safety while on the streets looking for work we became survivors. We shared it too.

There are different types of people in the survival world, "Seeking to survive after leaving home, seeking to survive in the woods wilderness finding no means of help from people in the towns and big cities, and survivalist where we are fighting with the diseases spread among the less educated members of society and learning to medicate ourselves without becoming addicted to drugs.

Which survivor level do you think describes the way of life in the Fallout Series of Games?

My impression was that they will concentrate on PvP more, so my guess would be - no.

I would have plenty of ideas for PVE survival online game - adding to the survival mods for the previous Fallout games and adding new - monsters. I would think about inspiration from Jurassic Park Movie with big predators, where the tense was stronger with audio alerts - like big steps, also nights would be more dangerous. The new role would be - more close to nature instincts and skills. Like the possibility to craft more of traps to protect your home, hiding before them and so on.

I never played online crafting games with PvP added, which have high numbers of players on steam- like Arc or Rust - it felt like very static and boring game combined with very annoying and frustrating PvP experience, but this survival jungle mod with high AI of animals would be much more interesting for me.

They showed some monster fights, but it looks like traditional boss fights. If it would be what I imagine, it would be combined with horror elements, but light - you could seek how to protect yourself during the day and during the night it would be survival - like in Aliens. So I think it will not be there - it was looking like a very classic pvp survival (meaning crafting) open world with hints of quests/discovery. and survival elements similar to what was in Creation club for Skyrim and for free for Fallout 4.

So I guess if it should fit into your question - it would be "seeking to survive in the woods wilderness finding no means of help from people in the towns and big cities" :smile:

And my guess the reality will be - "Seeking to survive after leaving home"

There are survival PVE games, which catched my attention, where they used basic needs mainly - like Hobo - living as a homeless or Subnautica - about searching for lost civilization with complicated base building, but those games have huge part of gameplay focused on other features - like deep background informations or minigames, in Hobo also a lot of dialogues, which I'm not sure would be in PvP oriented game.

EDIT:

also their focus on "play with friends" giving groups a lot of advantages, leaves all solo mechanics pretty much out of spending their time.

Edited by Mudran

• 11 months later...

You are welcome :tongue:

Still I'm not sure what to think about F76, it is clear they are trying to clear their name because of Starfield, still their "biggest" project even with their new roadmap doesn't look like having that ambition, unless it is - we never did survival game, we never played survival game, so for us it is the "biggest", the same with pvp, the same with MMO aspect, which is maybe the reason why it looks like Anthem, and also question why they didn't start with an MMO version of Fallout 4 if their the biggest ambition was - make it survival pvp and online only, because everything in F76 looks like that - like Fallout 4 online, which would be fine for many players. That is why I didn't like F76 - because it felt like filling all points of "what players of FNV wouldn't like" instead of "what would work well together in MMO". Or like someone's version of MMO - like what people who play MMOs would like and everything mixed together without any real plan.

For a standalone MMO I believe is important something Todd also never did before - to divide players into categories and cater those people equally with all the details instead of usual Bethesda: good enough for everyone.

Then you would see there are probably 4-5 possible groups of players:

builders, pvp players, explorers, roleplayers and pve grind players (they are the only one left with enough of content to do).

Then I would think about what is the most important feature for each group, and would end up with something like this:

- builders needs safe building, place where they could concentrate on building, maybe even buying things for that from an online shop, you need those things not to be destroyed.

- pvp players needs good balanced combat, something timed if you want to bring them together, that means something like tower defense

- explorers need something harder to discover and maybe combined with harder conditions of environment, they usually travel alone, so perfect combination is something where groups cannot go

- roleplayers need a lot of costumes, a lot of tools and even skill based builds generally, they are sometimes confused for casuals, because they need similar just for fun features

- farming/grind players - I guess they are the only one with content with events

Generally survival shouldn't be about chores, it should be about an obstacle, where you need skills to overcome it and it gives you reason to go out there and not to feel too much safe and bored.

So if all listed here, I'm not sure if just another feature with NPCs and dialogues added on the pile of all kind of MMO features will help the game, or if it will just bring another group of players unhappy with the rest of content in the game, but maybe they have some plan or there is something more to it.

Edited by Mudran

I forgot to add the final piece:

so if you list all the possible players I would place their territory on the map:

- builders will not mind being around vault, also it is a good lore reason why they wouldn't want to wander more far away from the starting point - now you don't have to force them to do it, also it could be a place for town, loaded separately. If they would want to build outside with danger it is up to them. Now in most of survival games you can build towns, but you have to be in a guild or some power group, I wish it could be really just an independent town

- explorers would like to go to the corners of the map

- pvp players would want to have their ground somewhere in the middle together with grinders, it doesn't have to be big towerdefense, it could be something similar, but smaller, or just outposts. There are a lot of alternatives how to do PvP, I'm not really happy with the openworld version which is now in games, but a lot of players seem to enjoy it, so I don't know.

All of those should have their equal rewards, so it wouldn't feel like wasting their time for nothing and feel forced to play what they don't want.

I'm not sure if it would work - I guess they were looking at survival games like Rust like something similar to their vision of natural openworld, but maybe there is not enough from their playerbase who would enjoy it - I never played Rust or Arc, so I don't know why it is successful.

EDIT:

maybe those survival games are successful because

1) they really go for that feeling of danger, where you have to survive harsh conditions/players and that is something I don't think Bethesda would ever want to do - they tried something similar in hard mode, but it is not the same like a whole gameplay based on that.

2) because of the complicated crafting mechanics, where you have the feeling of growth, and that is something Fallout don't have as well

3) complicated building mechanics - missing in F76

4) because you can harass other players with your group I guess :tongue:, or it is easy to manage a group of players going anywhere, killing hard mobs together or building their towns - that is something they tried to add in F76, but for me it is the most annoying part of survival games - this forced group content giving power to dedicated groups over others.

But I have no idea why for example Arc is more successful than Miscreated or why Rust is better than DayZ. Maybe Arc has more of mechanics like taming dinosaurs, or Rust shooting/building mechanics, because all of them have a lot of bugs.

Edited by Mudran

• 1 month later...

The song that Fallout 76 has about 'country roads take me home' made me wonder this morning. My memory of that song had the singer I heard it from first bringing it to thought. I just read a year old Reddit and iTunes pulled the Fallout 76 version because of Copyright infringement back then.

Since I haven't played the game in over a year I wonder if they have stricken the song from the game too and replaced it with a different song?

• 4 months later...

I read about how the group went about creating Fallout 3 back when they were preparing it. Same thing they did with FO: 4, and FO: 76. It's Bethesda Softworks developers way of taking a paid vacation to the places they made the games around.

I see the three games as extraordinary tour pamphlets and see them as a tourist might. I haven't decided whether I want to see Washington D.C., but if I did I am sure I could find my way around with ease using the subways routes. Fallout 4. Just to go see the museum of the Salem Witch trials? Fallout 76, maybe more a lot more interesting because of the Mothman museum. I wouldn't want to meet up with any of the wild creatures from their history told at their fireside story times out of West Virginia's past.

Some people do though.

It's a great fun way to see what those who traveled to the cities on business, i.e., taking pictures, and then transforming the photos into a video game.

A movie? :laugh:

I would just as soon sit in a room waiting for the paint to dry so I can get out of the corner I painted myself into.