Unable to get NIF models working in game

EDIT = I've got the Nif Tools for Blender working now! Turns out my dumb *rear end* was downloading experimental version of PyFFI and Blender NIF Scripts, that had more prerequisite requirements than listed on the website. I used stable version and everything is golden.

Hi Everyone,

Novice here! I'm familiar with the Creation Kit for Fallout 4, and used to do level design for mods for Skyrim. I decided to have a bash at making an item mod for Fallout 4. I have the .obj file ready to go, but I'm unable to get it in game. I've looked up many tutorials and troubleshooting, and nothing has given me a clear answer or workaround.

I've tried importing the OBJ file into NIFScope. It doesn't give me any errors, yet nothing shows up in NifScope. It does say there are a number of vertices and objects in the file, yet it will not show them. Figuring the object is there (as NifScope says they are there) I saved it to a NIF file. When I try to set the model in the Creation Kit, I get an error and nothing works.

I've tried installing the NIFtools for Blender, but the installer for the prerequisite Python software will not install and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to fix it.

Any advice on how to get an OBJ file correctly imported in game? The rest of the mod is ready to go!

I'm not adverse to anyone wanting just convert the models to NIF's themselves - I don't know if that's easier than trying to explain it!

Thanks in advance,

Erith - Hibblejaybob

Edited by Hibblejaybob

I don't know much about Fallout 4, but I do know that .obj files will not display in the game. NifScope also will not display .obj files. Any .obj files must be converted to .nif files through Blender.

There is a certain install order that must be followed when installing Blender.

1. Install Python

2. Install Blender I don't know if there are any NifScripts available for Blender 2.79. If not, you will have to install Blender 2.49 also.

3. Install PyFFI

4. Install NifScripts

5. Install NifSkope

Be sure to download the latest version of the above.

I would advise against installing any of the above in the default "Program Files". Instead, create a new folder on your hard drive named for the program you are installing.

After installing Nifscripts correctly, you should be able to open the Files drop menu and highlight either "Import or Export" and you will see NetImmerse/Gambyro. If you cannot access the .nif import/export, the tools were not installed correctly.

I don't know much about Fallout 4, but I do know that .obj files will not display in the game. NifScope also will not display .obj files. Any .obj files must be converted to .nif files through Blender.

There is a certain install order that must be followed when installing Blender.

1. Install Python

2. Install Blender I don't know if there are any NifScripts available for Blender 2.79. If not, you will have to install Blender 2.49 also.

3. Install PyFFI

4. Install NifScripts

5. Install NifSkope

Be sure to download the latest version of the above.

I would advise against installing any of the above in the default "Program Files". Instead, create a new folder on your hard drive named for the program you are installing.

After installing Nifscripts correctly, you should be able to open the Files drop menu and highlight either "Import or Export" and you will see NetImmerse/Gambyro. If you cannot access the .nif import/export, the tools were not installed correctly.

Hi, thanks your reply.

I'm aware that obj files don't work in game. NifScope has a function that allows you import from an .OBJ file then save it as a NIF, but something seems to be going wrong with that.

I'm also aware of the load order for Blender - as I said, I've tried, but I'm getting an error I can't get around. After installing Python and Blender, I try to install PyFFI, but I get an error message saying I am not using the right version of Python.

I've tried using the latest version of Python (3.7), the version specified on the NIFTools website (2.6.6), and the version specified in the ReadeMe of PyFFI (3.0) - It wont let me install it.

If I could get round that, I think I'd be fine.

The blender-plugin does NOT support FO4. It may be good for NV or FO3 (don't know), but it can not emit FO4-compatible NIFs. That's also true for NifSkope. If you export obj-files with NifSkope, they do have a wrong version and they are using data-structures which are not supported by FO4.

Instead you may use BodySlide to convert obj to nif. That's a well known and established method to create FO4 compatible NIFs.

The blender-plugin does NOT support FO4. It may be good for NV or FO3 (don't know), but it can not emit FO4-compatible NIFs. That's also true for NifSkope. If you export obj-files with NifSkope, they do have a wrong version and they are using data-structures which are not supported by FO4.

Instead you may use BodySlide to convert obj to nif. That's a well known and established method to create FO4 compatible NIFs.

Thanks for the suggestion. BodySlide does seem easier, but it's not working. I just get "Invalid Directory" when I try to import the file into the Creation Kit (Same as Blender / NifScope)

You should save your NIFs in the game directory -> Fallout 4/Data/meshes/ Create a directore here and save your NIF within.

Thank you. Now I'm not getting "Invalid Directory" errors, but the Creation Kit is crashing to desktop when I import my BodySlide NIF file, without giving any errors. I've tried running the NIF through the Elric tool, but whether I do or don't it just crashes the CK when I add the model. Any way of working out the issue?

For the nif, check the BSSKin::Instance, the skeleton root points to the root parent instead of None ..

Sorry for being an utter novice, but I have no idea where that setting is, I've checked OutfitStudio, Elrich and Blender, I can't seem to find it.

I think the root of my problem is "unweighted vertices", but I'm not familiar enough with FO4 modding to know what to change the values to (I'm much more familiar moddeling on other games). I don't know if this BSSKin::Instance setting overwrites the need to add weights in Blender or not?

Open the nif with nifskope and check the BSSkin::instance. Some version of Outfit Studio output nif with the BSSkin points to none instead of the root parent and this can cause your CK or Elrich to crash when u import the nif ...