Vortex Config files

Gloweye

I'm looking for the config files of skyrim se in my installation.

I had it installed and working perfectly fine, then windows broke and I reinstalled it.

I'd like to just restore the old config. Problem is, my drive letters got switched out. So I'd like to find whichever file they're stored in so I can switch them back to the way they should be. However, I've looked around in the installation folder, as well as appdata and the mods folders, but i can't find where those paths are.

Could someone, pretty please, inform me where they are ?

What paths exactly are you trying to change? The mods/download paths? The game path? Why can't you fix the paths inside Vortex?

Vortex doesn't use textual configuration files, it uses a database so we can store more complex data. This database is under %APPDATA%\vortex\state.v2
(or c:\programdata\vortex\state.v2 if you're using shared mode), but there is no way to edit it directly.

What you can do is open a command line, cd to where your vortex is installed and then run

vortex --get settings

to show the settings.

You can further filter what is being shown, for example something like that

vortex --get settings.window.size

And then you can change settings with something like

vortex --set settings.window.size.width=1280

But you have to be extremely careful that the format of what you have behind the = matches the existing setting, otherwise vortex may not start until you fix it.

If you're using shared mode you have to add --shared to all of these commands, e.g.

vortex --shared --set settings.window.size.width=1280

I was hoping, skyrimSE installation path, mod folder, vortex's own folder.

I probably could reinstall and reconfigure them all, but I was hoping for a shortcut.

I think I'll reinstall and then put the old database file over the new one.

Thanks, and consider this closed. Think your time is more valuable than just finding more shortcuts I could get myself with the start you've given me.

• 1 year later...

Hi and thanks for the awesome program and for this info.

I have a question though: I switched from "per user" configuration to "shared" configuration, in the hope that my settings would be preserved, but alas instead all my settings have reset.

This is quite dire, indeed, and I would like to know:

- is this intended?

- can I restore my settings somehow? There were quite a lot of games and quite a lot of mods

Thanks in advance