Vortex Criticism

pacfish

Dashboard

This one couldn't have been more screwed up -- If I close an internal window I have no way of opening back up again. Given how close the move buttons are and the close button are, I feel sorry for anyone with a image on their mouse pad or a cat that managed to get a hair in the laser tracker area of the mouse. I feel that scrolling inside a very long window, such as the news updates on the people or things I'm tracking cause issues when I'm trying to scroll on the entire page in general. This is a let down because I have a cat (and it's summer) and my news feed is quite long for no particular reason. I would preferred a more condensed version or a way to remove content inside these windows that I have either reviewed or have no intention of reviewing.

Game Buttons

The ones highlight by the screen shot have a very small activation area. There is a noticeable graphical difference when mousing over these areas but they do not function in any way and take up space.

Suggestion: Have them launch the default application.

Downloads

Stream limit - This is nonsense and software based cap on our end. The one users can't control is the rate of which downloads are being uploaded from the mirrors (which require authentication for to have decent speeds.

I can see this going three ways -- people getting upset and removing the restriction by "modding" since it's in the software. The nexus putting restrictions on it's mirrors to only allow one download at a time (upsetting a lot of people) or development removing this feature for us. I've already started digging through the decompiled code, it's only a matter of time before either me or someone else figures out how to undo this. Reasoning is pretty sound in my opinion - if my web browser can easily download multiple items at once at a rate of 1 mb/s for each file up to my bandwidth, why would I use vortex's download manager which is handicapped to a max of 1mb/s AND a max of 1 file at a time. Look I get Robin has to run a business - but impose the restriction everywhere (and I truly mean everywhere Mr. IT guru) or not at all.

THIS PROCESS WOULD BE MUCH EASIER IF A COPY OF THE SOURCE CODE WAS PROVIDED AS A REQUIREMENT OF MAINTAINING THE GPL-3 LICENSE. THIS APPLIES TO EVEN ALPHA PRODUCTS.

But hey, no one reads those files, *points at Dark0ne's image uploads*.

EDIT: Apparently posted to a different location. I don't think this meets the requirements still - I believe the download link provided on the same page or with the download. See https://softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/compliance-guide.html section 4.1.4 paragraph 3.

Settings

Profiles should be enabled by default. The job posting for this was very clear - "virtualization". Keep my game installation file CLEANED! There was a reason Mod Organizer was so successful and it was because it had this feature over Nexus Mod Manager. Another reason was because the ini files are stored in the profiles. Sometimes we want to just test a mod out and if it doesn't work we want to be able to quickly go back to our original game and continue playing anyways. Maybe it was a bug or a conflict or often in my case caused issues with my current ini files because I have a 21:9 screen. So I would swap back and forth between 16:9 and 21:9 for troubleshooting but I always wanted to play the game after I got tired of trying to fix it.

Save games

"Actions" -- You got a delete button but can we delete a character? Bethsda's games are smart enough to know which index we are on when saving even if we return to a previous save or a different character and save again. Could we delete a character from this screen? Could we delete everything from this screen (not sure why but Steam Cloud comes to mind).

Themes

include a sample file for people to actually create their own (as in your "This directory exists only to make the "default" option available without hard-coding an exception for it." should maybe have content in it).

Edited by pacfish

Dashboard

This one couldn't have been more screwed up -- If I close an internal window I have no way of opening back up again.

You can, maybe investigate a bit more before criticising? It's on the first page of settings, so not really hidden...

Given how close the move buttons are and the close button are, I feel sorry for anyone with a image on their mouse pad or a cat that managed to get a hair in the laser tracker area of the mouse. I feel that scrolling inside a very long window, such as the news updates on the people or things I'm tracking cause issues when I'm trying to scroll on the entire page in general. This is a let down because I have a cat (and it's summer) and my news feed is quite long for no particular reason. I would preferred a more condensed version or a way to remove content inside these windows that I have either reviewed or have no intention of reviewing.

Well, I find this post quite long for no particular reason and I would have preferred a more condensed version too. Or individual feedbacks for issues so that I can review

and track them individually.

Game Buttons

The ones highlight by the screen shot have a very small activation area. There is a noticeable graphical difference when mousing over these areas but they do not function in any way and take up space.

Suggestion: Have them launch the default application.

Again, it would have been the smart thing to do to investigate before you criticize. The top left button lets you toggle between your managed game, it only has the one

entry because you're not managing more than one game, but I hope you're not suggesting the button should behave differently between having one game or having multiple.

Same for the other button on the games page, clicking it activates that game to be managed, which obviously doesn't apply to the game already being managed.

But obviously it would be horrible if something completely different would happen for the managed game, just so the button has any function

Downloads

Stream limit - This is nonsense and software based cap on our end. The one users can't control is the rate of which downloads are being uploaded from the mirrors (which require authentication for to have decent speeds.

I can see this going three ways -- people getting upset and removing the restriction by "modding" since it's in the software. The nexus putting restrictions on it's mirrors to only allow one download at a time (upsetting a lot of people) or development removing this feature for us. I've already started digging through the decompiled code, it's only a matter of time before either me or someone else figures out how to undo this. Reasoning is pretty sound in my opinion - if my web browser can easily download multiple items at once at a rate of 1 mb/s for each file up to my bandwidth, why would I use vortex's download manager which is handicapped to a max of 1mb/s AND a max of 1 file at a time. Look I get Robin has to run a business - but impose the restriction everywhere (and I truly mean everywhere Mr. IT guru) or not at all.

The limit is intended to be 1MB/s in total for non-premium users everywhere, and sooner or later it will be applied everywhere. Vortex is just a bit ahead on that.

THIS PROCESS WOULD BE MUCH EASIER IF A COPY OF THE SOURCE CODE WAS PROVIDED AS A REQUIREMENT OF MAINTAINING THE GPL-3 LICENSE. THIS APPLIES TO EVEN ALPHA PRODUCTS.

But hey, no one reads those files, *points at Dark0ne's image uploads*.

EDIT: Apparently posted to a different location. I don't think this meets the requirements still - I believe the download link provided on the same page or with the download. See https://softwarefreedom.org/resources/2008/compliance-guide.html section 4.1.4 paragraph 3.

a) ffs, investigate before making an a** out of yourself. The source code is publicly available on github, that is perfectly fine with the GPL.

b) Learn what a license is, please. We are the copyright holders of this software! The license is how we allow others to use our software. It's a right we allow you out of the goodness of our hearts, it is not us giving up our own rights.

c) The GPL requires the source code to be available, it doesn't specify how. If we make the source code available by asking you to send in an email and then sending you the code on floppy disks, that would be fine with the GPL

Settings

Profiles should be enabled by default.

says who?

The job posting for this was very clear - "virtualization".

Sigh...

a) Learn what virtualization means

b) What job posting? What are you even talking about? You're trying to use our own job posting (which was posted when Vortex was already in alpha release btw and I'm pretty sure no one traveled

back in time to create Vortex, you know) to prove how Vortex is supposed to work? Are you for real?

Keep my game installation file CLEANED! There was a reason Mod Organizer was so successful and it was because it had this feature over Nexus Mod Manager.

Umm, I'm the creator of MO, I know why it was successful, thank you very much. But successful here means that MO had a share of around 7% of the Nexus user base?

The vast majority of users use NMM, Steam Workshop or beth.net, so your argument is irrelevant, you can't argue based on success for the solution that had 7% and against the one that had 90%.

Save games

"Actions" -- You got a delete button but can we delete a character? Bethsda's games are smart enough to know which index we are on when saving even if we return to a previous save or a different character and save again. Could we delete a character from this screen? Could we delete everything from this screen (not sure why but Steam Cloud comes to mind).

This is actually not a horrible idea, but I'm not going to track it with this thread. Send in a feedback for this issue alone (or do it on github directly).

Themes

include a sample file for people to actually create their own (as in your "This directory exists only to make the "default" option available without hard-coding an exception for it." should maybe have content in it).

It's css. There is little in this world for which you can find more samples.

Investigated - Found it. User experience: Difficult.

"First page" -- Only page, at the bottom. The other tabs don't have much of anything in them.

Suggestion: Put right click menu available in the frame. Make the menu a toggle / checkbox type thing for the various panes.

TL;DR - sorry I should not have ranted about personal life stories when giving criticism. The buttons seem very close. Why are there buttonS? Moving some of these panes around cause ugly spacing, closing and opening menus could be solved with that right click menu that I mentioned above, Moving things around should just be a click (hold) and drag of the pane (after the sizing is fixed so that spacing is fugly).

Going to chime back on the user experience bit here for the buttons I was pointing out in the photo. So when I first set it up, I was thinking that the top bit was going to be the user's games displayed across the top similar to web browser tabs, switching or launching by clicking on it, doesn't matter to me. THAT WOULD BE SO COOL was going through my mind. The problem here is that with a single game being managed, I see a graphical indication that something should happen when I mouse over my ONE game. This is an alpha product and I get there are bugs and features missing. So I'm thinking something is wrong with the software, not my lack of content on my machine. Consider disabling this feature when only one game is being managed?

I'll come back to this when I've installed more games to see what this is suppose to look like.

Graphic at the top has a very small area for the launch button. Suggestions -- Maybe double click for launch? Maybe right click for the menu from the game section of the same grpahic? IDK seems difficult to launch given the size of the button.

The graphic in games seems different given your response - again I'll come back to this when I have more games installed.

The artificial limit: I get you are doing what you're told, what the boss wants, but this is just going to be ugly down the road. I see the work around to this being using multiple accounts through various proxies to avoid this limitation. The reason I see this as a problem is because of content creators and end users who say want to use something like Static Mesh Improvement Mod. No matter how well you setup the servers, nothing is going to stop multiple accounts through multiple proxies. Firewall proxies? There are reasons they exists. Blocking them is like saying "We hate all our Chinese users." I just don't see this going over well with the community when the changes go live. But I do understand that Robin has a business to run and hosting SMIMs and the bandwidth for it is damn expensive (when it shouldn't be (F*** ISPs)).

And from an IT standpoint, this limit should be enforced on the server side, not in the software. Talk with your PM about this, if you are the PM, than talk to Robin or some other superior about it. I'm not crazy, this limit control shouldn't be in the software that's under a GPL-3, it'll just get removed, circumvented, and ignored. The other alternative is beaten by proxies and multiple accounts but specific rules can be setup to help prevent that but even that's not 100%.

I forget the exact wording for the job posting. But I do know your sandboxing in MO is virtualization. I also know it's why I didn't apply. I don't know how to do what you did with MO. I haven't looked at how it was done and I probably won't for a long time, though I should because I still am amazed by it. That said, learn what criticism means. It's not negative. I didn't expect you to be the one who responded. It would have been a little more direct. I expect some lacky to read it, interpret what it means, and then pass along the important bits to the development team. Sorry, I must be too used to working with AGILE PM's who don't know what they're talking about either. So instead of taking jabs at each other, how about I give feedback for the feedback you gave me?

MO is amazing. The reason behind this is that it can manage content completely independently of each other. If don't have to decide at the time of installing the mod like with NMM which files I want to overwrite. Instead I can manually go through and quickly decide how I want my game to look and feel. MO did this with profiles and it's unique environment. MO never had the numbers because NMM was familiar to users, it had more tutorials on youtube, more articles on the nexus, had a download link at the top of every page, and was made first. Here's a bit of insight on why Microsoft is so successful: they basically give their software away for free to public education, grade schools, so that children grow up with their software. They become familiar with it and learn how to use it and are accustomed to it. MOST people don't like change even if ti's something better because they have to learn something new. Microsoft got huge backlash (and their stock suffered) when they put out Windows 10. 10 is arguably better for the environment we live in today - tablets and PC working together in a single uniform environment (this is another reason why the nexus switched to a uniform site experience) - But windows 10 was nothing like any of the previous versions - Even going back to MS Dos, windows has always had a similar feel to it. The default windows 10 (back when it first came out) was all about apps and start menu everyone was so accustomed to took us to app home screen... WTF is this noise?!?! It wasn't well received and now we have a more traditional start menu by default.

So when you say "Says who?", I say says me, because you lacked the marketing and were late to the game. 7% is still more than the user base that use Linux in the states... And that's after Steam OS and all the effort Valve has pushed to get people away from Windows (the reason it's failing is because unfamiliarity). Shut up and accept the fact that your product was better than the piece of trash that came before it, but most importantly, understand why it was better and why it failed - development stopped, lack of marketing, late to the party. You have the ability to set the standard for the way things are going to be done in the future by having the default set a specific way for the right reason.

Give and take:

Would you like the ideas / feedback provided sent in individual tickets or in one organized list that is perhaps a bit longer free of rants and raves sent through the vortex feedback feature?

Themes:

Found it in the source code - where it should be imo. Didn't update the post that I had found it.

License:

I referenced a specific paragraph because my understanding of that paragraph is that the source needs to be provided at the same location (same web page in this case). Yes you can provide it any way you see fit, however if I'm downloading it from the site, I believe the site must also contain a link to the source (hosted on the site to avoid complications with 3rd parties [that bit is in another paragraph somewhere]), and you wouldn't be obligated to have a copy on a floppy unless the content was distributed via floppy.

Edit: it's 3am and I'm an idiot for not proof reading -- grammar nazis have fun.

Edited by pacfish

Investigated - Found it. User experience: Difficult.

"First page" -- Only page, at the bottom. The other tabs don't have much of anything in them.

Suggestion: Put right click menu available in the frame. Make the menu a toggle / checkbox type thing for the various panes.

TL;DR - sorry I should not have ranted about personal life stories when giving criticism. The buttons seem very close. Why are there buttonS? Moving some of these panes around cause ugly spacing, closing and opening menus could be solved with that right click menu that I mentioned above, Moving things around should just be a click (hold) and drag of the pane (after the sizing is fixed so that spacing is fugly).

Going to chime back on the user experience bit here for the buttons I was pointing out in the photo. So when I first set it up, I was thinking that the top bit was going to be the user's games displayed across the top similar to web browser tabs, switching or launching by clicking on it, doesn't matter to me. THAT WOULD BE SO COOL was going through my mind. The problem here is that with a single game being managed, I see a graphical indication that something should happen when I mouse over my ONE game. This is an alpha product and I get there are bugs and features missing. So I'm thinking something is wrong with the software, not my lack of content on my machine. Consider disabling this feature when only one game is being managed?

I'll come back to this when I've installed more games to see what this is suppose to look like.

Graphic at the top has a very small area for the launch button. Suggestions -- Maybe double click for launch? Maybe right click for the menu from the game section of the same grpahic? IDK seems difficult to launch given the size of the button.

The graphic in games seems different given your response - again I'll come back to this when I have more games installed.

No offense but this is quite pointless. You are welcome to make suggestions for UI improvements but the only way they will actually be useful is

if you make them through the feedback system and one at a time, so they can be assigned to the right person and prioritized.

The artificial limit: I get you are doing what you're told, what the boss wants, but this is just going to be ugly down the road. I see the work around to this being using multiple accounts through various proxies to avoid this limitation. The reason I see this as a problem is because of content creators and end users who say want to use something like Static Mesh Improvement Mod. No matter how well you setup the servers, nothing is going to stop multiple accounts through multiple proxies. Firewall proxies? There are reasons they exists. Blocking them is like saying "We hate all our Chinese users." I just don't see this going over well with the community when the changes go live. But I do understand that Robin has a business to run and hosting SMIMs and the bandwidth for it is damn expensive (when it shouldn't be (F*** ISPs)).

And from an IT standpoint, this limit should be enforced on the server side, not in the software. Talk with your PM about this, if you are the PM, than talk to Robin or some other superior about it. I'm not crazy, this limit control shouldn't be in the software that's under a GPL-3, it'll just get removed, circumvented, and ignored. The other alternative is beaten by proxies and multiple accounts but specific rules can be setup to help prevent that but even that's not 100%.

a) When you download from Nexus it incurs a cost that has to be covered by ads or Premium accounts. There is nothing wrong, neither morally nor technically with Nexus motivating you to pay for the service you're provided,

for example by limiting the bandwidth like here. I stand behind that and I would do the same if it was my business so that has nothing to do with saying what the boss told me. Robin never gave me rules on what my public opinions should be

b) I don't disagree with your "IT standpoint" but the problem is that we live in a reality and in a reality things aren't always as easy as they may seem in your imagination

c) Vortex has been out in source-code for over 5 months and so far there is no fork that circumvents this very very simple limitation and is kept up-to-date for more than 2 weeks so maybe you're over-estimating the lengths to which users are willing

to go just to save others a few dollars. Remember: There is a very easy way to avoid the limitation without biting the hand that feeds you.

And most people probably realize that if this gets abused then Nexus may be forced to do more serious limitations that you may not like.

Live and let live is a good motto, even in IT.

That said, learn what criticism means. It's not negative.

Just because you're calling it criticism doesn't mean it is. And even criticism is only good when it's constructive.

Your first sentence was "This one couldn't have been more screwed up". Right there, you made it immediately clear that your intend was not to give constructive

feedback but to antagonize and annoy.

MO never had the numbers because NMM was familiar to users,

Except MO has been around longer than NMM.

it had more tutorials on youtube, more articles on the nexus,

because more people use it...

had a download link at the top of every page, and was made first. Here's a bit of insight on why Microsoft is so successful: they basically give their software away for free to public education, grade schools, so that children grow up with their software.

Except this has nothing to do with Nexus. Wrye Bash and MO have also been free, have been around before Nexus had an "official" mod manager and Nexus has never made

any effort to lock a tool out. The APIs for example have always been open. Nexus is nothing like MS.

I say says me, because you lacked the marketing and were late to the game.

I was not late to the game, as I said. I didn't lack marketing, MO was suggested in STEP, it had a thread on nexus, the bethesda forum and pretty much any other community.

The reason MO stayed relatively small was that it was (intentionally) targeted at the subgroup of heavy modders that switch between mods a lot. It is doing a great job

for that user group but that user group is not the majority of users.

Give and take:

Would you like the ideas / feedback provided sent in individual tickets or in one organized list that is perhaps a bit longer free of rants and raves sent through the vortex feedback feature?

Yes, please

The screwed up comment was because I'm not sure if it's a bug/missing feature. I'll work on clearer language. Your response showed I had screwed up and I tried to point out I wasn't trying to be an ass (when did donkey need to be censored? you did it, so I'm not sure)

Who wants to maintain a fork that's in alpha to penny pinch? Wait for a more stable release for the fork to become known.

I would bet on another game to come out that MO2/NMM can't handle to come out for this fork to become public information. The lack of a tool that can handle everything won't exists outside of Vortex and the users will discover that the download speed is trash and might look for alternatives or just download the content manually. I'm thinking right about the time the game crackers get steam's anti piracy protection out of it and then discover there is an artificial limit on open source software use to modify that game they just cracked. And I don't think the Nexus has the ability to stop this group.

The IT / Server side attempt at the limitation isn't meant to be easy. Not with multiple mirrors all over the world but I can think of a few things to try and make that work. When first downloading the file, checking the other servers for the "is this person downloading anything flag" if the session user isn't flagged as a premium user. Logging IP addresses with user accounts. Locking downloads for X hours when the IP address is different than the previous and account creation.

Pain in the neck but if the job is worth doing, it's worth doing right.

I still remember why I haven't looked back when switching from NMM to MO. I still remember why I tried NMM and how I found MO. A lot can be attributed to Gopher. Look at the timeline for his videos related mods for FO3 and FONV. That's your marketing man. Also is this 7% related to when his videos came out on MO or are they related to the current situation where MO doesn't support SSE (it's an important distinction)? SSE being the most current stable version that isn't VR. What is the user base for multiple games like FO4 AND SSE? Do you think this user base would prefer using multiple programs to manage their mods or just one? What programs support both without too many issues? I think you might want to attribute a vast number of that 90% to games supported and not wanting multiple management systems installed rather than "intended audience". Because I use MO solely because I got pissed off that when I didn't like a texture mod after following Gopher's video and tried to remove it, I broke the texture and found the game unplayable. NMM is to blame since it didn't keep track of the files effectively. I'm not sure if that's changed but I haven't looked back since and would prefer to only have one mod manager on my system.

Can we start a poll on how people prefer to launch their games? The information may prove invaluable. I would say just put in a tracker into vortex but you would lose out on over 97% of the users input - polls don't do much better I suppose.

I ask because I usually launch SSE through MO2. If the majority launch through their mod manager, then the mods don't need to be with the game by default -- Though I think even you managed to make a shortcut feature that loaded the profile for MO (never used all the bells and whistles it came with - don't consider myself a heavy modder).

What is a heavy modder anyways? How many mods? I don't think MO or NMM ever sent meta data on my load order over the net but what do I know. I look at the highest number of uniquely downloaded mods and I see tools, loose files, frameworks, and patches... frameworks and tools aren't at the top because they are standalone mods. Silverlock would destroy the numbers on these pages if the script extenders were standalone content. You even included an option for FNIS in vortex by default, why is that? FNIS requires more advance instructions to be followed than just drag and drop.

If the user needs to revert to a vanilla state of the game. The fastest and safest way to do so is to always have a vanilla state.

Steam updates will break mods - average joe doesn't know how to disable it. average joe isn't going to know about profiles either and will be frustrated his game doesn't work at all.

Can uninstall a mod without needing a huge file tracking installed content, install order, and what was overwritten

Less bugs and easier to track down.

Portability - niche markets have feelings too -- but being able to share experiences is much easier this way and takes up less space

Heavy modders - niche market?

Do it for the right reasons. I will only continue to find more examples to support profiles and why the way you did things was better than NMM.

I never was a good little soldier - I always seem to find myself pushing for something absolutely ridiculous because it was right, just, and fair. Couldn't even keep my first job because my boss was breaking safety regulations and I tried to educate him, I lost my job eventually but his business was shut down shortly after. Am I doing it again with this damn profile thing, licensing crap, and download limitation? Granted I don't know the security concerns for doing things this way but I assume it's no riskier than installing a mod directly to the game directory. [i still encourage including a download link for the source at the same location as the distribution location]

edit: I just hate proof reading in a text box.

Edited by pacfish

What I did not see Tannin mention:

Say what you like in the forum. Great place for interactive discussion.

If you actually expect to give feedback that results in action, do it through Vortex.

Open Vortex, click on the upper right three dots..

Select "Send Feedback".

Limit yourself to one addressable item at a time, and enter it here. Make the little relevant.

These will go into Tannin's queue, and not get lost in the forum.

They will actually be tracked through Vortex's Dashboard, so you know what happens to them.

If the user needs to revert to a vanilla state of the game. The fastest and safest way to do so is to always have a vanilla state.

Steam updates will break mods - average joe doesn't know how to disable it. average joe isn't going to know about profiles either and will be frustrated his game doesn't work at all.

Can uninstall a mod without needing a huge file tracking installed content, install order, and what was overwritten

Less bugs and easier to track down.

Portability - niche markets have feelings too -- but being able to share experiences is much easier this way and takes up less space

Do it for the right reasons. I will only continue to find more examples to support profiles and why the way you did things was better than NMM.

Your posting is very hard to read and it's even harder to understand your point.

But I guess you're arguing that a virtual filesystem, like MO is using, has the advantage that the game's installation directory stays clean and unchanged.

That's largely true.

But I don't see this as a real disadvantage for Vortex, because you can get the same result with just one click: "Purge Mods" undeploys ALL mods all at once. After that, the installation is clean again. And you know what? A single click on "Deploy Mods" recreates the previous modded state without any difference (bugs not withstanding, but there are none in this regard I'm aware off). All lose file overwrites are still intact, the load order is not changed, either.

I guess you didn't even know that this feature exists, and that's exactly the problem with your whole rant. You write walls of text and complain about a lot of things (in a questionable language) while you don't even completely understand the product your criticizing. So some of your complaints just are born out of misunderstandings and ignorance (not meant negatively).

A virtual file system like MO uses, has fundamental disadvantages, by the way.

First and foremost, all apps have to be started through MO to see the virtual file system. That always caused problems. If you forget that and start a tool without MO, chances are, that this tool even causes some damage to the installation, because it doesn't see the proper structure.

And then there's always the issue of bugs and compatibility. A bug in MO's implementation of the virtual file system - which is, as far as I know, nothing else but huge number of DLL-injections into many system routines, so that those routines 'behave' as if the additional files and directories were present in the game directory - or if an application uses a system function which is not properly adapted by MO, will cause loads of potential problems. Including a slight chance of destroying data on the disk.

So all in all, even though I initially was a bit disappointed, too, that Vortex uses a different approach than MO, I can understand why they made this decision and I think it was the right one. The way Vortex works is superior in almost all regards. The only remaining slight disadvantage over the MO-way would be, that Purging Mods or Redeploying them takes a bit of time (but really not that much, even on big mod installations).

They are getting better as I get more focused and spend time rereading them. if the lack of quotes makes the reply difficult to read i'm sorry but I'm confused as to why you would quote a list without addressing things on the list.

Buttons that don't clearly state what it is they do, are hard to read because of color choices and font, and only found in one location don't have a good user experience. Learning how something works without instructions, tutorials, tooltips, etc is difficult. Average Joe won't know where this is or what it does. If you read my very unorganized post I comment on poor UX decisions. This would only solidify that point. I also don't see any functionality in this button - am I pressing it wrong? Nothing actually changed in my data directory.

I believe there was a way to create a shortcut that loaded some of MO's file injection processes and start the game if you created a shortcut through MO. At the very least, this process wouldn't be hard to implement.

If things are worth doing, they are worth doing right.

@rmm200 - it was mentioned twice. Singular suggestions through vortex is what is wanted. I feel this has evolved to an argument for a virtual file system, source code (maybe he's looking into it since he left it out of his last reply), and the download limit. And at the very least two of these three topics deserve discussion but I didn't expect tannin to be the one responding. Maybe Robin to comment on the download limit but I honestly expected some SCRUM / AGILE staff member response. It's what I'm used to -- though I should have spent more time going over what I had written. It's sloppy AF. I'm putting more thought into what I type in the feedback feature of vortex.

EDIT: it doesn't do anything because I've enabled a profile after installing mods. Feature?

Edited by pacfish

EDIT: it doesn't do anything because I've enabled a profile after installing mods. Feature?

What exactly do you mean "it doesn't do anything"?

Whether Profiles are enabled or not doesn't really change the way Vortex is working. It just enables the option to use multiple mod profiles for each game.

I mean the button doesn't function as intended with how things were setup in the steps leading up to what happened. It's a bug. It'll get reported properly. I have this feature working properly after adjusting how things were setup. I'm not sure this addresses those other needs.

Though I will say one of my favorite uses for MO was taking the old files with bad edits from the CK, cleaning them, and then installing them as a mod. I got to keep a VANILLA copy in the same location but managed to get the wild edits out while playing the actual game. I guess this would be under the heavy modding category.