Cant move during certain times in third person

SirSnagglepuss

Ok, this has been happening pretty much forever and I can't find a fix for it. there are a few scenarios where my character can no longer move in third person mode (moves fine in first person.)

1: my character is over-encumbered. when my character gets over encumbered they stop moving completely instead of just slow. if you switch to first person you can walk slowly and if you switch back to third while walking you can keep walking, but as soon as you stop you get stuck again.

2: During some combat animations. as an example, my newest character is an archer but she loses the ability to strafe when you draw an arrow sometimes. specifically, if you are moving when you start the draw animation you can keep moving, but if you are stationary you get stuck and cant move.

Like I said I have had this problem pretty much forever with a whole host of different mod setups, so I'm just wondering if it is a common problem or something, or if you experienced the same thing in the past and fixed it. my current guess is fnis since the problem looks to be related to animations and finis is the only animation mod that I have had from the beginning.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had this issue with mods that change the breast size and also add weight to the breasts. With wrong MCM setup I could get the breast weight overfill and had like -1400 (that's a minus) carry weight. Then my character couldn't move at all except for 1st person view.

For *one potential solution, you can use console (~) and enter

player.setav carryweight (N)

where N is a value that will increase your carry limit to a value above your current load.

ex: current carry weight is 4538 (and no, that's not a typo. I am currently carrying around 7K weight on one of my characters)

Enter player.setav carryweight 5000

Alternatively, there's a mod called "expedition necklace" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/19386)

that adds a 9K boost to one's load limit, if you're not adverse to such a boost due to some personal "immersivity" contention.

• 5 months later...

For *one potential solution, you can use console (~) and enter

player.setav carryweight (N)

where N is a value that will increase your carry limit to a value above your current load.

ex: current carry weight is 4538 (and no, that's not a typo. I am currently carrying around 7K weight on one of my characters)

Enter player.setav carryweight 5000

Alternatively, there's a mod called "expedition necklace" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/19386)

that adds a 9K boost to one's load limit, if you're not adverse to such a boost due to some personal "immersivity" contention.

Have the same issue and it's driving me crazy. It appeared from nowhere and I got stuck with it, as I don't want to start a new game. I've been starting from the damn Abandoned Prison so many times, I lost count. And my carry weight is always 21500 (I'm using an essential mod for that, I can't even think of playing this game without), so it looks like that's not going to help resolve the issue.

If any of you guys find a solution, please post it here, it would be most appreciated.

Edited by Incubusbul

Are you being t-boned, locked up via some mod animation failing to close correctly, penalized for some action by some mod (I;m almost positive some mods do this on purpose, since the paralysis often goes away after a "timeout") or just sluggish?

• if t-boned, check FNIS and possibly your skeleton
  • if an animation is closing incorrectly, idk what you can do other than disabling the animation or removing the mod that contains it.
  • being penalized? deal with it and consider removing the mod responsible (it's pretty easy to figure out which animations I'm talking about, and the mods that use them... and if you have no idea what I'm talking about then it's probably not an issue for you, so nvm)
  • just sluggish? Bump up your carryweight. Push come shove, the player.setav (or modav) carryweight works really well without any need to install an additional mod once you get into the 15-20K range or more.

One additional thing I'd note about large carryweights. When you're carrying that much stuff on your person, you're also carrying around an enormous database load, which (at least in my experience) often causes problems well beyond walking. I try to keep mine below 7K to avoid interminable delays in opening inventory, that is caused by that large number of items, as well as other sideffects that can lead to the game stuttering (and imo/ime, even CTDs).

The conversions thread over at Lover's lab has a series of debugging guidelines/recommendations too, so I'd recommend checking that out (even if you're not using adult mods).

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/94228-sse-conversion-tracking-dec-29-4342/

(see the heading "Common problems" about a half page down OP sticky in that thread.)

One additional thing I'd note about large carryweights. When you're carrying that much stuff on your person, you're also carrying around an enormous database load, which (at least in my experience) often causes problems well beyond walking. I try to keep mine below 7K to avoid interminable delays in opening inventory, that is caused by that large number of items, as well as other sideffects that can lead to the game stuttering (and imo/ime, even CTDs).

Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest, in my frustration I didn't even notice this thread is for SSE. For the moment I'm playing LE. Anyway, I guess your note about large carry weights is valid for the LE as well. I'll remove the mod (in my case 100x Your Carry Weight - or 10x or 25x) and try the command player.setav carryweight (N) instead.

My problem with this particular issue (and another one concerning character movement - my thread here) is, I cannot trace the mod or mods triggering it, as it seems to happen randomly.

For example, yesterday I changed the hair of my character and right after I left Racemenu, she started walking normally again. Later on, after some carnal adventures, she was slowed down again for annoyingly long period of time (and still moving only in first person), despite the fact that I zeroed and deactivated all options in the different mods that might penalize/slow her down. I changed her hair again, just to check if that will bring the normal movement back, but it didn't work this time. And then again, out of nowhere, she started walking normally again with no evident reason.

Edited by Incubusbul

• 6 months later...

I'd appreciate any help, My problem is similar to this, but instead, my first-person mode can only look up and down, while my third person can seemingly walk and attack like normal but can no longer interact with either doors, NPCs, and the like. This has happened to me more frequently, but it had happened on an older save once. I'm thinking it's something to do with joy of perspective, the physics, or the modded weapon I happened to have. I've ctds only once, saving me some time, but in the majority of the cases I've had to task manager my way to freedom.

I'd appreciate any help, My problem is similar to this, but instead, my first-person mode can only look up and down, while my third person can seemingly walk and attack like normal but can no longer interact with either doors, NPCs, and the like. This has happened to me more frequently, but it had happened on an older save once. I'm thinking it's something to do with joy of perspective, the physics, or the modded weapon I happened to have. I've ctds only once, saving me some time, but in the majority of the cases I've had to task manager my way to freedom.

IDK why this happens, whether it's an intentionally malicious bit of code or just crappy programming, but whatever. It happens (and almost predictably after completion of certain often-installed... ahem... animations).

Anyway...when it does happen, I've found that initiating a crafting station animation *seems to reset things to normal with a high reliability (I have yet to see it not fix the issue). And yes, that means getting yourself to some crafting station, be it smithing or potions or enchanting. Something in the animation of the character beginning and ending use of the station usually clears the issues (for me) . Of course, getting there from a dungeon can be a real PITA when your view is kerfuffled. Outside, you can just fast travel to some known location that has them (ex: whiterun is a good one, since the armor shop is right inside the gates along with its grinding stone, leather station, forge, and armorer's bench, any of which will do the job.)