New Ryzen Build. (Bit of a budget build!)

It's not the cheapest rig, but in terms of what it's capable of I'd say it is.

Ryzen 3 2200G (Half as cheap and about 6% faster than a Ryzen 5 2400G at gaming!)

2 x 8 GB G.Skill DDR4-2666 (Dual Channel)

Gigabyte X470 motherboard

Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 Gaming OC 4GB x 2 (CrossfireX)

AOC 1080p @ 75Hz, FreeSync Monitor

Adata Ultimate SU650 SSD x 2 (Raid) (Cheap and fast!)

I just wanted to see if the CrossfireX in combination with FreeSync would work, and it works like a charm. After a lot of tinkering I have found that with AA off while rendering everything on 2K VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) and capping FPS at 57-58, while running on 59Hz, results in smoother gameplay then AA on at 1080p. It's funny, but that seems to be the case. I get pretty sharp and clear images and it just runs like a charm. I play most games at Ultra settings, no problems. Not bad, considering I spent about 700 Euro for the whole PC.

The orginal plan was to put two RX 580's in Crossfire, to make better use of the 75Hz monitor, because that would probably keep up or come close to a Vega 56 or even a 64, but even the RX 580 is too expensive for my taste at the moment. So I decided to keep the monitor running at 59Hz so these cards aren't stressed too much and maybe wait for the prices to come down again for a couple of months. (Damn bitcoin miners!)

I'm happy with this build. It's not my dreambuild, but for now I need the money for my study.

Who else is miffed with the prices of GPU's? (I bet a lot of you are!)

:laugh:

Ok, you have made some weird choices.

Why a processor with an igpu? Why not a regular ryzen 1300x?

Why an expensive x470 board?

Crossfire is dead, just get a single card.

Agree with all minus the Crossfire/MultiGPU use is dead, is not as with Dx12 and or Vulkan you can implment multiGPU it is brand independent BUT and here is the BIG BUT the developers have to code it in.....and we know how lazy they can be to implement new stuff.

Agree with all minus the Crossfire/MultiGPU use is dead, is not as with Dx12 and or Vulkan you can implment multiGPU it is brand independent BUT and here is the BIG BUT the developers have to code it in.....and we know how lazy they can be to implement new stuff.

From my perspective, the minor performance boost from multi-GPU's simply isn't worth the cost. Vid cards ain't cheap.... and I would rather spend the money on one REALLY good card, and call it a day. I get 90% of the performance, for half the cost.....

Developers still haven't coded to take advantage of multi-core CPU's....... For the games I play, a decent dual core yields the same performance as a quad core...... or eight core.... etc.

Gigabyte's X470 gaming ultra is not that expensive, really. (149 Euro!) Why? Because this motherboard supports Hybrid CrossfireX, which means the Vega 8 iGPU on the Ryzen 3 2200G shares a small portion of the workload with the pair of RX 560s, which means I have a litte more room to crank up settings. Why not a regular Ryzen 1300X? Well, the regular Ryzen 1300X is about 1% percent faster than the Ryzen 3 2200G, doesn't have an IGPU and is obviously more expensive, so I'd say better value for money in this particular set up. (Because of the Hybrid CrossfireX on this motherboard!)

With FreeSync, the lastest drivers, frame-pacing and enhanced Sync, Crossfire is anything but dead. I easily achieve a constant 75 FPS, which is just about perfect for my FreeSync monitor at 75 Hz. I can also choose to cap the framerate at 60Hz and I won't see a flicker or a tear, and I can crank up the graphics even more!

There are many game profiles you can load into the startup settings of the Radeon Adrenalin version, but in case a game can't be found I'd recommend the ''optimize 1x1'' setting, because this particular setting seems to work perfectly fine with games that are supposed to be Crossfire incompatible.

From my perspective, the minor performance boost from multi-GPU's simply isn't worth the cost. Vid cards ain't cheap.... and I would rather spend the money on one REALLY good card, and call it a day. I get 90% of the performance, for half the cost.....

Developers still haven't coded to take advantage of multi-core CPU's....... For the games I play, a decent dual core yields the same performance as a quad core...... or eight core.... etc.

Video cards ain't cheap, no, but where I live two RX 560s cards are slightly cheaper than one RX 570, and with the Hybrid CrossfireX function on this motherboard I can achieve more than a RX 570. I've tried Dragon Age: Inquisition on Ultra settings without FPS cap and I'm getting a stable 80-81, while 73-74 is absolutely fine for my monitor.

I just wanted to experiment with CrossfireX on a bit of a budget and I think I'm liking it enough to consider a Crossfire configuration for 2K once I have a bigger budget. Because I want 2K gaming at 120Hz, and I'm quite positive this can be achieved with two RX Vega 56s, but these babies are a little bit too expensive at the moment. Maybe in two years. Maybe!

I hope this explains my ''weird'' choices. This rig as a whole didn't cost me too much and I like the results. For me it works better than expected, really.

• 4 weeks later...