Security updates: reCaptcha and Two-factor Authentication

SirSalami

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #61982862.

Gummiel wrote: Aww no option to use a 2FA app on your phone? Ofc this is better than nothing, and deffinatly a step in the right direction, but 2FA with email only is rather cumbersome to use, compared to an app on your phone

i prefer 2fa email tbh

In response to post #61982862. #61985287 is also a reply to the same post.

Gummiel wrote: Aww no option to use a 2FA app on your phone? Ofc this is better than nothing, and deffinatly a step in the right direction, but 2FA with email only is rather cumbersome to use, compared to an app on your phone
kojak747 wrote: i prefer 2fa email tbh

Well I never said to replace it, but offer it as an option beside it, that said the kind of 2FA that utilize a phone app, is in fact more secure, since with a mail based system there is a mail that could be intercepted with the code needed to get into ones account, where as the app based 2FA dont have any data being send at at all, so they would literally have to hack into your phone first to then get the code

I prefer 2FA email aswell, one of the things that made me move away from TF2 was when they forced people to enable phone based 2FA, stupid escrow. Sorry valve, I am mature enough not to fall for Tf2 trading scams, and If I do fall for them It's my own fault. Personally they should have just added some new stuff to the steam policies that the user agrees to that purges all Valve liability from trade scams. Since it is more the user's fault for falling for scams like that in the first place.

In response to post #61982862. #61985287, #61989602 are all replies on the same post.

kojak747 wrote: i prefer 2fa email tbh
Gummiel wrote: Well I never said to replace it, but offer it as an option beside it, that said the kind of 2FA that utilize a phone app, is in fact more secure, since with a mail based system there is a mail that could be intercepted with the code needed to get into ones account, where as the app based 2FA dont have any data being send at at all, so they would literally have to hack into your phone first to then get the code

I agree that there should be an option for 2FA by phone. It doesn't even have to be an app. I've seen it done by text message as well.

In response to post #61983402.

ConnieandMike wrote: I don't mind the capta but when it starts wanting me to click on pictures that have this or that in them... I can't stand that. It just goes on & on sometimes.

Cause you are a robot.
Gotcha!

In response to post #61981992. #61982887 is also a reply to the same post.

CreeperLava wrote: This fallback for captchas seems like a very bad idea from à security standpoint. If the alternative is less secure than google's, it's easy enough to force it to appear instead of google's. Kind of defeats the point of having it.
DaedalusMachina007 wrote: The capcatcha failsafe is there to have something available instead of locking people out of their accounts until the service comes back up.
Considering how reliable Google's services (usually) are, this will be a rare occurance if nothing else.

It doesn't 'defeat the point' of having capcatchas at all; it is something I (rarely) encountered when I was still living in an apartment complex and sharing the same IP with others. Nexus has to balance security and convenience and I feel they've struck an acceptable balance between the two. Besides, in a worst case scenario you have a vandal who messes with a modder's settings or something that can be easily undone if reported quickly enough.

The main reason we use the backup captcha is for users in China, where Google is blocked so they can't use the regular Captcha. Of course there are also those who are super-sensitive about their privacy online and block Google (among other) services. So it's an effort to cater to all our users.

In response to post #61983402. #61992362 is also a reply to the same post.

ConnieandMike wrote: I don't mind the capta but when it starts wanting me to click on pictures that have this or that in them... I can't stand that. It just goes on & on sometimes.
Kenrox wrote: Cause you are a robot.
Gotcha!

And robots don't complain!!!