A Question About Steam Workshop Mods

FlameNoir

I play with a lot of mods (which I get from Nexus Mods), and to do that, I use Mod Organizer. The reason I am posting here and not on the MO forums is because I don't THINK this problem has to do with what mod platform I use. But, maybe I am wrong, and in that case I guess I'll end up asking there too.

So, what's my issue? There is a mod, on the Skyrim Steam Workshop, which I would very much like to use. Basically, it adds an "elemental fury" enchantment to the game, which even affects bows. It seems very cool, and by all indications it even works. I'm not sure if posting links is allowed here, so I'll just say, the name of the mod is literally "Elemental Fury Enchantment" and it's authored by a guy named Relic.

My first thought was, "Well, I guess I'll have to install it manually, by downloading the file and dropping it in the mods folder." I have never done it before, but I could probably figure it out, right? Well, there is another problem: in order to download the mod file from Steam Workshop, I have to 'subscribe' to the mod. I am concerned that if I do this, it will interfere with the normal startup of the game via Mod Organizer. Perhaps my concerns are unfounded, but in the past I have tampered with mods in a way that SEEMED like it ought to be harmless, and suffered disastrous results. So, I wanted to ask around and see if anyone can suggest how I might best do this. I am cautious partially because some of those "disastrous consequences" occurred when I was using Steam Workshop with a different game... I do NOT want any CTDs or other nonsense to come about just because I wanted a cool enchantment :[

Thanks in advance.

(I may or may not post a similar topic preemptively on the MO forums as well, in case anyone sees it there.)

I suggest against using Steam Workshop due to how it handles mods (auto installs any mod updates often breaking the game or overwriting other mods) but if the mod isn't updated frequently it should be fine. Also another method is to install the mod and find and copy it's files then unsubscribe from the mod and install the copied files manually.

How Steam installs mods is similar to how it installs dlc to games.

Nothing wrong with most of the mods on the Workshop. But as stated always un subscribe. It probably wont matter with MO which doesn't use the Skyrim Data directory but on principle try and avoid stuff that updates without asking!

Yes that is the problem I was thinking of--where it would apply the mods and interfere with the operation of my other mods and/or Mod Organizer. So, once I "subscribe" and "download" the mod, I simply need to find the folder (presumably under the steam folder) where it was downloaded to, copy the mod file, paste it in the CORRECT (mod organizer) location, and then I can simply unsubscribe from the mod on Steam Workshop? The mod seems to have had no activity since 2014, so updates likely would not be a problem, but as you said, I prefer to keep my game fairly distant from Steam Workshop...

Thanks for the help btw