Need Help - I give up trying to get Quest/Courier to begin

I'm at my wits end.

I've tried several options and cant seem to get the mod I'm working on to fire and I'm frustrated at this point. My mod is meant to begin with the courier bringing the letter to the player, giving you a note, the actual side quest beginning onread but no matter how I set the note/give aliases or configure this/that based on several online resources -- including the CK wiki -- I can't get it to start up. In other words, the Courier won't come find me and the debug notif won't display. I'm pretty sure I followed this site to the teeth -- https://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Using_the_Vanilla_Courier.

The other resources:

http://www.gamesas.com/tutorial-using-the-vanilla-courier-t329988.html

So, if anyone is interested in downloading (downloading the esp+bsa (scripts (psc+pex) + seq) and testing out my mod to see if you can figure it what in the hell is causing the courier not to start -- - and looking at it in CK 2.0 to see what the hell I'm freakin missing, by all means, send me a message!!

I appreciate your time and effort, suggestions!

Click here to view screen shots that hopefully/alternatively help show how I have things setup -- including the script.

Edited by justinglen75

From what I recall that tutorial is pretty good.

I had a problem getting it to fire once and like many quest start-up issues I've had, it wasn't anything to do with the set-up, it was to do with the quest itself and how it was set up in the story manager.

You haven't said whether your quest is starting from an SM event node or not.

Have you tried making the quest start game enabled? You don't want to do this normally, for memory issues but if the courier runs up after you've done it, it proves that the fault lies with your quest set-up, not necessarily the courier part.

Alternatively or in addition, you could add a line into the papyrus fragments of your quest stages such as:

Debug.messagebox("MyQuest stage ## started"), where ## is the stage you're adding the fragment into. Repeat for all stages of the quest, or at least the ones up to where you read the note.

Then you can see if it starts at all and which stage it hangs up at.

@Cumbrianlad Awesome, thank you for looking at this :smile:

After some extraneous trial and error (hehe), I was finally able to get the courier to start my quest via adding a trigger box at one of the entrances of Riverwood and adding the usual defaultsetstageonenter script to the trigger ref. I also made an adjustment to the courier script in my quest. Below is an excerpt of the primary QF quest script and property setup (that's pertains to that part of the script) that seems to work without issue. So, once I enter the trigger box, the courier brings the note, puts it into my inventory and the quest begins. This solution would then require me to create trigger boxes at all the main cities, or xmarkers -- and I don't really want to do that.

I would rather the quest that I'm working on begin with the courier looking for me once I become a level 10 or greater in the game -- so in other words, once I become a level 10, the quest will set the stage that initiates the courier looking for me. I tried looking at other quests in the game and I just don't see any sort of level-trigger or condition I can set to get that going. Any ideas or guidance on that area?

I tell you what, just the fact that I've gotten that far makes this stuff fun, and highly addictive -- but it's work! I have a much higher appreciation for all the work that gets put into this stuff, hehe.

WICourierScript Property CourierScript Auto
ReferenceAlias Property Alias_JWDCourierNoteALIAS Auto
Book Property JWDQuestCourierNote Auto
Quest Property CourierQuest Auto

Function Fragment_8()
;Courier is going to deliver a note that starts the quest
   Alias_JWDCourierNoteALIAS.GetReference().Enable()
   Debug.Notification("The courier is going to deliver you a message")
   (CourierQuest as WICourierScript).AddItemToContainer(JWDQuestCourierNote)
EndFunction
Edited by justinglen75

Yeah,

that's a whole lot of work for something that should work normally on change of location into any of the towns or cities.

I'll take a look at mine which works. I did it a long time ago now but it most definitely works without putting trigger boxes of your own all over Skyrim and Solstheim.

It's so long ago I'm struggling to find my scripts (I've archived them somewhere!) but what I can see at a glance is that I actually had it start game enabled.

I based mine on this tutorial, which is much easier to understand.

Skyrim creation kit tutorial 05: a courier quest by Doug.

it shows you how to set up the courier quest and adds a stage to meet someone in a tavern. Hope it's some good to you, but that's exactly how I set mine up. I didn't add any scripts to the note itself. I think this is a much better way to handle it since the script is done with as soon as the quest ends.

If you follow Doug's tutorial exactly it will work but it is difficult to get it because when there is one little error you can't ID where it is. I'd suggest set aside a couple of hrs and then go through each step and recheck yourself after each step making sure it's all there. The note does have to have a unique ID otherwise it won't work, as I remember. I've done this twice using this tut but did get messed up along with way both times. You have to just check and recheck until it works. When done right, it goes of flawless.