Hello. Newbie here. Is modding safe?

ironsapp

Hello everyone. I play Fallout 4. I had some OS stability problems after installing around 150 mods from Nexus through the mod manager. I was wandering if it is safe to do so. The GeekSquad at Best Buy couldn't determine if they were safe or not after doing a fresh OS repair. They were really kind of useless except for the OS repair, but knew nothing about gaming on the PC. So is modding safe?

P.S. I also used Loot and Wrye Bash, and downloaded the Fallout4 Script Extender.

Edited by ironsapp

safe how? I mean , if you know what you are doing , you shouldn't be able to damage your PC with modding (unless you install some shady mods from other sites , which could contain viruses)

can it harm your game installation? technically yes , it can . nothing that can't be fixed with a fresh new installation , but it could cause issues

don't know if it could somehow causes OS problems , never heard of such a case (and I believe that if the mod doesn't contain any virus or malware , it shouldn't cause any issues with your PC or OS)

personally I've been modding games for around 10 years now , and never really had any issues with it (other than me making mistakes or trying to use incompatible mods , errors on my end)

so I would consider modding to be safe

but if you want to explain the specification of your question , it would help us give you a better answer

How much more specific can I get? It wasn't until I downloaded the mods from Nexus that I started get BSoD Crashes. Fallout 4 ran fine at first. Then Squad would BSoD Crash on me. Then Squad just wouldn't load, as well Fallout 4. Then my Taskbar wouldn't work. All in that order. The only apps I downloaded not from Nexus to assist in the mods and load order were Loot, Wrye, and F4SE.

from the original post , I don't think it was clear that the problems actually began right after installing the mods , nor what the problems actually were

as for your issue , I don't think I've ever heard of mods causing BSoD........ this is the first time I'm hearing of such an issue

have you tried uninstalling these mods? I'm not quite sure as to the normal causes of BSoD , and I wouldn't hastily recommend something like a full format of your system , but I somehow doubt it's related to the mods

could this be due to an issue with your hard drive? have you tried going through a full checkup of your PC , to try and find the source of the problems?

It is a 3 month old computer. I use it only for gaming purposes. I have a separate computer for office and personal type needs. I did a Win10 refresh and then a complete reset wiping all files from the computer and it was still not operating properly. I ran all kinds of check ups, so many I can't even remember all what I did. I eventually just had an OS repair done. I really want to play Fallout 4 running the mods I was using from Nexus but I'm weary about doing so. Repairing and maintenance takes up a lot of my time when I work 60+ hours a week.

well , I doubt that mods could really cause your issues , but I can't say for sure

I don't know which mods you wanted to use (though I could look through your download history , assuming that it contains all of the mods you wish to use , and only these mods)

but I'm pretty sure that if you want to use some of the more popular mods , you should have no problems (others would have reported similar issues , if these mods would cause such issues)

if you want to ask about your desired mod list , you could post links to the mods you wish to use (preferably with their names beside the link , and please do it inside a spoiler tag if you do) , and we could try and take a look at the mods in question . if the mods were indeed the cause of your issue , maybe we could find the mod responsible for this

That would be greatly appreciated. If I could learn what I'm looking for that would be even better, but yes my download history with the exception of CBBE, Janes Bod, and A Touch of Green, are all the mods I want to use. I also use Loot, Wyre Bash, and F4SE. I assume you have access to my download history. If not I will put up a list.

I personally have access to your download history , due to my status as a staff member . but most users don't have such access

and since I don't know many of the mods for this game , it would really be best if you could post the full list , so that other users will be able to comment on the matter

hopefully with the help of other users , we may be able to at least minimize the list of possible culprits to something manageable , upon which we could actually try to do something about it

• 3 weeks later...

Hey just using long term experience here if you are unsure about the software you are using and/or mods, extensions, plugins. Just go ahead and back up your system before you make any major changes. If it is just one game you are worried about simply back up that program/directory before installing mods so that you can always go back.

There is also software that can track changes made to your system so that you can be aware of what is changed and revert if you must.

These are good skills if you get into modding older games/engines because you are often on your own testing old packages and have to take a 'ground up' approach.

Hope this helps!

Edited by garbitos

Hello everyone. I play Fallout 4. I had some OS stability problems after installing around 150 mods from Nexus through the mod manager. I was wandering if it is safe to do so. The GeekSquad at Best Buy couldn't determine if they were safe or not after doing a fresh OS repair. They were really kind of useless except for the OS repair, but knew nothing about gaming on the PC. So is modding safe?

P.S. I also used Loot and Wrye Bash, and downloaded the Fallout4 Script Extender.

I'm going to hazard a guess that you were using mods that overtaxed your Video card and overheated it, causing the BSODs

Such as 4K and 2K retextures etc...