We're never getting a First Person camera mod, are we?

UlyssesSinclair

I know I may be jumping to conclusions a bit with this--I mean, it took four years before Fallout NV got a mod that let you see you're character's body--but since Fallout 4 has been released I haven't even heard of any modders trying to work on a mod that lets you see your character's body. I mean, there are topics about it of course, and lots of people want it, but no one with the actual skills to manage seem to want to do it.

When Skyrim was released, it took 2 months for a mod to be released that let you see your character's body. 2 months! At first the excuse was that there wasn't a Creation Kit, but that went out the window 2 years ago. Since then the few topics that crop up about it all say that we have to wait for F4SE to release something to make it possible--for crying out loud, the Xbox modders have managed to make a First Person mod before PC! Sure, it's buggy as all hell and removes 3rd person from the equation completely, but if they could manage that much the PC modders--with all their external tools--should be able to make an actual stable version.

Tl;dr I want to see my character's body when I look down, but nobody cares.

the majority of people probably play fallout 4 in third person (on PC) - (i know i do), thus rendering a see your body mod redundant, not too mention fallout 4 does third person far better then skyrim. (the character models, skin textures, movement, etc etc are far superior to skyrim, thus greatly encouraging playing the game in third person view)

skyrim is literally designed to be played in first person, so that warrants said mod to be much more beneficial to skyrim.

why would you want to spend ages creating your character, and downloading all them cool armor and clothing mods (high res skin texture mods, custom hair mods etc etc it goes on), only to never actually see them because you are playing in first person view.

Edited by Guest

Actually, one of the reasons I play Bethesda games more than others, in fact probably THE reason, is the ability to easily switch between 1st and 3rd person. I generally play in 3rd person except when in combat or in really tight confines. Although I spend more time overall in3rd person, it's hugely important to me to be able to switch when I want. I absolutely flippin' love the ability to do that. So much so that, If Bethesda ever got rid of that feature, I'd stop playing their games.

Always 1st person. Feels much more natural and immersive to me. When I walk around in RL I only see myself when passing a window.......... Best thing that happemd to me was ther real ironsights mod for FO3. Much like in NV. Likewise I always install the 1st pseron camera mod when playing NV.

1st person is very good for immersion and seeing what your character sees, thus creating a better roleplay environment.

3rd person is excellent for "cinematic" type of scenes where you just want to see your character , for example, fire a fatman just like in an action movie. Not very immersive , but looks damn good :)

I don't see why we shouldn't get a "see your own body" mod, since it could only make the player feel more immersed in the game.

Original fallout games were made 3rd person because graphics weren't that spectacular at that age - in a trimetric projection game you couldn't expect much but there were some scenes which were incredibly detailed and beautiful. (Vault City, the train station in Boneyard etc)

I'm just dropping my two cents to say that the OP is incorrect when the made the bold claim that Xbox modders made an attempt at a 1st person camera first. Not true by a long shot.

The first attempt for Fallout4 was initially released on Nexus back in November 2015. It was last updated around March 2016 before the author realized that they'd pretty much painted themselves in a corner, due to the way that they'd chosen to impliment it (the mod altered camera values to mimic the look) so development ceased. Not a bad effort all things considered, but buggy & fundamentally flawed

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1944

3rd person is excellent for "cinematic" type of scenes where you just want to see your character , for example, fire a fatman just like in an action movie. Not very immersive , but looks damn good :smile:

That too, I would rather see in First Person, because then what I'm focused on, fills the entire screen, instead of including my character and her surrounding in it, taking up valuable screen space.

Does it not occur to peeps making requests here that certain things may be effectively IMPOSSIBLE with Fallout 4?

Fallout 4 works on a 'wing and a prayer'. An engine actually taken well beyond breaking point. Even Beth knew this iteration of their ancient engine wasn't fit for purpose, but for various internal reasons (most which had to do with originally designing the game for the PS3) made do with it.

So Fallout 4 uses many HACKS that make mods seen for older Beth games far more difficult.

A "see your body" mod would work when it works- and most of the time would look terrible. Modders HATE the negative feedback they get when certain peeps expect perfection. So then the modder would need to fix the rogue cases, which means fighting the game hacks.

But it gets WORSE. Body mods and clothing/weapon mods that so many peeps use would not be compatible. And most good modders run their Fallout 4 with other good improving mods. So you'd need a very good modder who thinks using vanilla Fallout 4 worthwhile. Not a likely combo.

And no really good SYSTEM/coder modder liked Fallout 4 to the degree to make the same effort seen in Fallout 3 and Skyrim (with a few notable exceptions).

Sorry, the advice for Fallout 4 gamers is to accept the game for what it is. Plenty of good 'cosmetic' mods exist. iNPC adds some excellent new content. But the form and mechanisms of Fallout 4 are pretty much set in stone, because of the very cruddy engine.