ANOTHER Script Extender Update

MrManovar6

In my case, I have Steam to update my game till I launch it but my game started to CTD unexpectedly ... so I got out of the game and found out there was an update. At that point I guess I could have turn my game to go offline and continue playing but what I did was to accept the update because I only have 2 mods that depends on F4SE : Mod Configuration Menu and Place Everywhere ..... since I do not use MCM that much and since my home has been already created, I did not give a s**** to update the game.

I continued playing without the F4SE and yesterday this script was update so I updated F4SE.. In reality, if you do not have any mod that depends on F4SE, then there is no point to worry about those updates I guess. The problem is when you have several mods that depends on it so a different approach is necessary.

However, it is annoying to clean the game cache and clean the master files again due to the update which it is a recommended step after each update, so from now on, even though I only have 2 mods that required F4SE to properly work, I will setup my game to offline and probably do the shortcut setup advised above ( download the mod suggested by HadToRegister ) and avoid unnecessary waste time.

you can always unroll your version in the steam console. A bit of a hassle, but once you've set up the shortcut, you're ready for next time Bethesda tries to take your toys away.

1. find your steam executable (usually in Program Files (x86)\Steam)
  2. Create a shortcut
  3. Open the shortcut properties and add -console to the end of the target
  4. Target will now look like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -console
  5. Close out steam ALL the way
  6. Open with the shortcut and you should see the console tab in Steam
  7. Copy/Paste the following into the console and wait for it to finish downloading
download_depot 377160 377162 2144426079840954483 for the lastest version
Inside whatever directory the console stated (mine was C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\content\app_377160\depot_377162) you should find a shiny new 1.10.98.0 version Fallout 4 exe
p.s. is it just me, or is Fallout 4 the mod equivalent of self flagilation? I can't ever remember having to jump through so many effing ridiculous and often somewhat painful hoops just to get my character to wear pretty pretty earrings and tight shorts. Sheesh!

"The program can't start because steam_api64.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

• 2 weeks later...

what do you mean when you say (create a shortcut)?

right click on f4se_loader - and select *Create Shortcut* - (the option above *Delete* and below *Copy*)

then you can drag the f4se_loader (shortcut) to you task bar, now all you need to do is launch steam each time after a system restart, then click on f4se_loader (shortcut) icon, and you will then launch straight into the game. bypassing the steam game launcher, which then means you did not launch the game as far as steam is concerned, and thus steam will no longer update fallout 4.

Warning!: do not attempt to load the game via Steam, via Fallout4.exe, or Fallout4launcher.exe (Otherwise it will update the Game, thus breaking F4SE). only launch it via F4SE or its Shortcut.

Note: ignore Asteriks, i use them to highlight important relevant words to the reply

Note: a Shortcut is a duplicate of the original file (without the relevant data), that allows you to launch the original file from a different location via the shortcut.

Edited by Guest

"" then you can drag the f4se_loader (shortcut) to you task bar, now all you need to do is launch steam each time after a system restart, then click on f4se_loader (shortcut) icon, and you will then launch straight into the game. bypassing the steam game launcher, which then means you did not launch the game as far as steam is concerned, and thus steam will no longer update fallout 4. """

>> You meant, create the shortcut ( f4se_loader ) and place it our desktop … "" now all you need to do is launch steam each time after a system restart """ ( I do not understand that sentence if you do not mind to explain yourself please ? ) …..

In my case, I have my f4se_loader icon ( shortcut ) in my desktop. When I log into my computer, I get the Steam login screen so I log in to it and then I launch the game by double clicking on my f4se_loader shortcut … is that what you are advising ? Please clarify ! Thanks.

"You meant, create the shortcut ( f4se_loader ) and place it our desktop"

No i literally meant what i said, drag the shortcut to your taskbar, preferably next to the start button, then you don't even have to double click on the f4se shortcut, you can single click on the f4se shortcut.

"now all you need to do is launch steam each time after a system restart"

every time you boot up your computer or restart your system (Via Pressing the Reset Button on the Tower Case, or Pressing Start - Shutdown - Restart Computer), you load steam, then once steam has loaded, you click on the f4se shortcut, it does not get any more simple then that.

Note: Look at the very first line directly underneath the quote 2 posts up from this post. it says what you need to do, add the second line of my reply to the first line.

Edited by Guest

There is "literally" no difference between a shortcut on the desktop or the taskbar. Also, a shortcut is not a duplicate of the original file. It's more like a link a website, or a bookmark.

In my case, I have my f4se_loader icon ( shortcut ) in my desktop. When I log into my computer, I get the Steam login screen so I log in to it and then I launch the game by double clicking on my f4se_loader shortcut … is that what you are advising ? Please clarify ! Thanks.

I have no idea what twistedfatal is trying to tell you, but this sounds correct to me.