Conflicting hair mods

Vaalyah

@Thandal, thank you, I didn't know that. It makes sense. I hope with the next game they're able to find ways to open up modding more.

@Vaalyah, what I do for my Inquisitors is I create the face first and then take screenshots of all of the sliders for my own reference. That way, after I test their faces (faces always look/move differently in the game than they do in the character creator) if I want to re-create them, I have a reference. I went through six versions of my "canon" Inquisitor this way before I got his face the way I liked it, and three versions of my "canon" Hawke.

With that said, you can always make whatever face you want, then play through the game until you are able to save. Then you can close, change mods, re-open, and test, and keep doing that until you decide which mod you like. That way you can test all the hairs without having to re-make your face, but it only works if all of the hairs are replacing the same vanilla hair. Otherwise, you have to wait until you have access to the Black Emporium, or do it in character creation as above.

It allows direct porting of the game code with minimal effort to all three major platforms; PC, XB1, PS4.

Why every damn thing that I find 100% idiotic in this game is ALWAYS due to the porting on console? Why??? T_T

When many reviews online, many years ago, said that console would have killed good gaming on pc, I believed they were a bit on the apocalyptic side. But lately I am starting to think they were right: almost everything I love in RPG on computer has been removed due to... console average player-base or hardware. -_-'

@ Unniebee: in the second way you are suggesting, I can only change many meshes on, ie: ponytail, but I must have used that mesh and saved the pc with it. What if, don't know:

- try a whole set of hair mesh

- save with ponytail 3

- then I discover that bob-hair 4 (that was not loaded at creation time) is better?

It is not a "change mesh into mod manager", because it has been created on another slot (the bob one, not the ponytail).

If that's the case, you have two choices: start over and re-make your character, or wait until you get access to the Black Emporium, assuming you have the Black Emporium DLC.

The Black Emporium DLC comes with a "magic mirror" that lets you change your character's face mid-game. However, it DOES NOT like most of the mods, and will freeze if you walk in there with 95% of the mods on the Nexus.

In order to change hair mods using the BE:

1. Figure out which vanilla hair your new mod replaces (most mods will say so in the description, and if they don't a lot of times it's been asked/answered in the comments on the mod)
  2. Save and quit the game
  3. Uninstall ALL mods (except eyebrow mods if you want, those usually work fine)
  4. Reload the game
  5. Go to the Black Emporium using the war table or world map
  6. Use the Magic Mirror to change your hairstyle to the one your new mod will replace
  7. Leave the Black Emporium
  8. Save and quit the game
  9. Reinstall all your mods, including the new hair mod
  10. Reload the game and test.

It seems annoyingly long, but it doesn't actually take that long to do. You get access to the B.E. after you finish the prologue and introduction scenes and can use the War Table for the first time.

Yes, I have Black Emporioum, but as you pointed out in my other thread, it seems that in in it, cosmetic mods are always messed up ^^'

I am afraid I would spend hours (again) in creating my pc for 2nd play through. But your idea of screenshot for were sliders are is interesting...

Oh lol that was you. Sorry, I answered a bunch of threads at once one day and forgot who had posted what.

Yeah, the only way to change hair with the BE is blindly. If there's clipping issues with the forehead or ears, you'll have to take a screenshot of them, then go into the BE without the mod and make the changes based on your screenshot, your memory and your best guess. It's not an easy process, unfortunately.

For slider screenshots, I upload them all to my Google Drive account, and then I can flip through them on my phone while I'm trying to recreate the face on my PC. It's not perfect, but I usually end up making changes anyway.