Turn based Strategy

Shadowcran

My two gaming passions are RPG's and strategy, specifically Turn based. My eyesight just isn't good enough for RTS.

Turn Based strategy hasn't gotten much attention over the years except in handheld consoles. However, many, many great games have come about on PC or console.

Final Fantasy Tactics, Panzer General, Battle for Wesnoth(a free online game where new campaigns/quests are created by players), the Shining Force series, the excellent Tactics Ogre or Ogre Battle series, and many others are to be discussed in this forum.

Feel free to mention any that have given you joy as I may go try to find a ROM or copy of it myself.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I hate turn based strategy as it is too slow paced for me and you lose the factor of doing some cool things in a match against other players. Especially luring them into traps, a favorite tactic of mine :P Like retreating with only a few units left and them following your 'defeated' army, then destroying them with the army you sneaked in behind them while occupying them with the first force.

But one TBS I've played on PSP was really great, warhammer. Really fun game that. Another I enjoyed on PC, although I doubt it counts as TBS, was Lords of Magic.

The X-COM games (the strategy ones), as far as I'm concerned, are the best games ever made. Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep were turn-based and Apocalypse could either be played turn-based or real-time. I play Apocalypse once a year.

Heroes of Might and Magic 1 - 4 are brilliant turn-based strategy/RPG games and HoMM 5 was OK, if not a little too cartoony for my liking.

• 2 weeks later...
The X-COM games (the strategy ones), as far as I'm concerned, are the best games ever made. Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep were turn-based and Apocalypse could either be played turn-based or real-time. I play Apocalypse once a year.

Heroes of Might and Magic 1 - 4 are brilliant turn-based strategy/RPG games and HoMM 5 was OK, if not a little too cartoony for my liking.

Ditto from me on the X-Com series! They were great fun, and delivered many hours of great gameplay (on a 386 processor, no less!)

Chryssaloids... damn, I HATED those things.

Well I still think (in my opinion) that Heroes of Might and Magic III was the best of all. I also liked Disciples (I had the gold edition) which was a lot like HOMM III.

Ahhhh....the good old times :P

Cheers :thumbsup:

Maafiaman

Well if you ask THE turn based strategy game, x-com it is... In fact I still play ufo enemy unknown (though I need to run several programs in the back to slow it down :D) the HoMM series were good, Also there was this great Warhammer game, warhammer Chaos Gate, I still have it but cant get it working and dont know why...

Also there was this great TBS/RPG hybrid, jagged alliance series... Especially the second game, Unfinished Bussiness was great, the graphics were simple yet enjoying, the characters were fun (there were many to choose from)

Well if you ask THE turn based strategy game, x-com it is... In fact I still play ufo enemy unknown (though I need to run several programs in the back to slow it down :D) the HoMM series were good, Also there was this great Warhammer game, warhammer Chaos Gate, I still have it but cant get it working and dont know why...

Also there was this great TBS/RPG hybrid, jagged alliance series... Especially the second game, Unfinished Bussiness was great, the graphics were simple yet enjoying, the characters were fun (there were many to choose from)

Ohhhh...I really can't believe I forgot about Jagged Alliance II...damn now that was a cool game. Even if I was getting constantly killed in some mine (don't remember which one).

And also spending money on hiring more mercenaries until I got bankrupt and had to start the game again ;).

Nice game...kinda difficult but great!!!

Maafiaman

I like TBS. My favorites are games from the Civilization and Age of Wonders II. I also liked the Ogre Battle game the created for the Nintendo 64, but that was the only game of the series that I played.

I am currently making a mod/scenario for Age of Wonders II: Shadow Magic based on TES3: Morrowind. If I ever manage to complete making unit retexed units and finishing the map, it will be Hlaalu and Imperial Empire vs. Redoran vs Telvanni vs Dagoth Ur. Good way to combine RPG and TBS.

Ohhhh...I really can't believe I forgot about Jagged Alliance II...damn now that was a cool game. Even if I was getting constantly killed in some mine (don't remember which one).

And also spending money on hiring more mercenaries until I got bankrupt and had to start the game again ;).

Nice game...kinda difficult but great!!!

Maafiaman

Lol yea it was damn tough game, I never finished it on medium difficulty... There was one little trick thou, after you find night goggles, you would make operations at night, with a few flares, drop a flare near the enemies and take them out from afar :D

I still play the game from time to time, I just loved to hit a guy with a sniper and watch him fall from the roof or making a headshot and watch the guy's head pop up :D

I am emberrassed to forget the Sid Meier (God bless him) and his many turn based masterpieces, Civ series and Colonization :D