Turn based Strategy

Shadowcran

I like to play Civilization 4, but mostly beause it has nukes (Where are the massive exlosions they oughta have?). One of my favorite TBS games isn't on a computer, though. Anyone ever played Warhammer/ Warhammer 40,000? I also like the Dungeons and Dragons Quickstart Battle. But Warhammer's my favorite. :bomb_ie:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and Diplomatic victory, as well as building a space station, are the dumbest ways to win Civ. Build a massive army in secret, then surround your enemy (pick someone who looks at you funny), and CRUSH THEM! Works like a charm. That dork from Persia kept looking at me oddly, so I sent a nuke straight after him. Actually, several nukes. Okay, I lie, I built about 50 ICBMs and blew him off the Earth. :rolleyes:

wow. I hadn't checked this thread I started in a while. After 3 or 4 weeks with nobody posting I assumed the subject was simply dead.

Finally, about 2 minutes ago, I got an email stating this topic finally had a response....3 pages of them. What the devil?

About the ongoing Civ discussion. Victory by any means is a victory. Some call a victory by war a failure of diplomacy.

Yeah, it's cool to crush your opponents, but it's also cool to crush them without them knowing it. Read some Machiavelli and you'll see where true power lies. However, you can't make others see your point while they're invading, so having a great military backing up your words puts the punctuation mark on it.

I do believe in Theodore Roosevelt's policy of "Speak softly but carry a big stick".

The only time I'm aggressive is when I'm short a resource that someone else has inside their borders. I then open up a can of whoopass on them...until the resource is securely mine! I then try for diplomatic solutions to end the war. Clever or nasty? you decide.

Just reading the first few posts I see there's some great suggestions that I need to do a little research on. By that, I mean find them, download them, and play them.lol

I've a quick question for all that have posted. Would you play an Oblivion Turn based strategy game?

I do believe in Theodore Roosevelt's policy of "Speak softly but carry a big stick".

The only time I'm aggressive is when I'm short a resource that someone else has inside their borders. I then open up a can of whoopass on them...until the resource is securely mine! I then try for diplomatic solutions to end the war. Clever or nasty? you decide.

It is only nasty if the peace agreement extorts gold or technologies from them. The spirit of Versailles is alive in Civ.

Of course, my policy is extremely Bismarckian. Isolate your enemy, crush them, then leave them either weak and isolated or completely crushed; nothing is worse than an adversary coming back for revenge or an unexpected ally joining in the war against you for that matter.

I've a quick question for all that have posted. Would you play an Oblivion Turn based strategy game?

Not Oblivion since the only factions would be outlaws, Imperial Legion, and daedra. However, Morrowind would make an excellent turn based strategy game since it has plenty of factions: Imperial Legion, daedra (if the game's time frame continues into Oblivion), the five Dunmer great house, and House Dagoth. The Morrowind TBS is the idea of a mod that I mentioned earlier, and that I need to get back to working on.

One of my all time favourite TBS was Master of Magic. It was one of the first Turned based games I ever played, which led me to such classics as Colonization and of course the original Civilization.

midniteinc

Although Master of Magic is something like Magic, the Gathering, it indeed worked well as a TBS. I did like using Ariel, white magic may be deceptive (well, blue is the real deceptive, but...)... and her avatar kickass :)

As I commented in another thread, a TBS I wish I could rediscover (among the lost and no found games I have) it's CD (hoping it would work in the new machines) was Total Annihilation... a very interesting TBS unlike any other in it's time, and maybe even now.

Edit: correcting myself ... TA is a RTS, sorry, off topic

Seems to be a pattern here. You play one and it whets your appetite for more.

Has anyone ever played Battle for Wesnoth?

This is a turn based strategy where players can create campaigns or scenarios to add to it. There's hundreds of them made. If you are interested, don't get involved in their forums as it's been taken over by trolls for years now.

It's a fantasy based strategy btw.

Well as a Civ 4 freak, I once won a culture victory while I was chasing the space race... Space race is too lame to chase but AI loves to chase it... I dont really like to fight too much in Civ4 but the sad part is the scoring system is broken, the more land you gain, the more score you get... so late in the game you need to start a war with another nation...

I agree. I hate having to resort to the later war, but it's been almost necessary since Civ 2(I've never played the first one so I can't speak for it). I tend to rely on tanks, bomber/fighters, and even though in real life they'd be obsolete, battleships, with mech infantry doing the occupying. In the wars I fight, I tend to focus on coastal cities. Heck, you cut off a civilization from the water and they're as good as Mongolia(dead in other words) in the later years.