Nude mods and other rabbit holes

MidbossVyers

I'm considering jumping back down the rabbit hole of ES modding. I found that Oblivion was marginally easier to mod than Skyrim. Obviously, I will first be installing all necessary unofficial patches. Afterwards... Yes, I will be "reclaim the territory" that was lost from Daggerfall. In other words, characters should be all nude if you strip them. Initially, I thought that this would be easy. Choose a nude mod for females (HGEC), and choose a nude mod for males (probably Robert's newest version, which I believe is 5, unless someone says otherwise). However, browsing through my download history, I found https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/40048

Apparently, getting nude mods for both males and females screw up Khajiit textures. Obviously, this is not covered in the unofficial patch as it is a fix for a mod. Hopefully, this fixes that, but are there any other glitches that I should be aware of that are not covered by the unofficial patch? Oh, yes, even not counting Khajiits, there are apparently seams that I should be aware of: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/19738 In terms of glitches that have nothing to do with nudity, there is apparently something called the "double face" glitch: https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/34753

Between the base game, the aforementioned nude mods, and possibly Modular Beautiful People, are there any other glitches that I should be aware of (hopefully with fix patches)?

• 4 months later...

That mod appears to require Seamless Equipment, which itself appears to require Universal Skeleton. Would that be incompatible with Coronerra's Maximum Compatibility Skeletons? Unless of course, Universal Skeleton is included in Maximum Compatibility Skeleton, or Maximum Compatibility Skeleton is included in Universal Skeleton. As for Khajiit feet, I see that there are many hits when I search it, but is the one that I originally linked the best, or is there a better alternative?

Yes, Universal Skeleton came after Maximum Compatibility Skeleton and added another layer of compatibility over it. Using Universal Skeleton will satisfy most, if not all, mods requiring Maximum Compatibility Skeleton just as well.

As for "Khajiit feet" I'm not seeing anything regarding this linked to in your posts. If you mean the texturing problems with body mods, caused by the Vanilla game using the same texture, the male one, for the foot texture of both genders, and body mods using the foot texture for full-body coverage, then it of course depends on the other mods you're using.

Robert's Male requires the male Khajiit foot textures to be its "textures/characters/Khajiit/male/RTfootmale.dds", while Exnem/HGEC requires the female foot textures to be "textures/characters/Khajiit/male/footmale.dds" (they don't have a plugin, so they don't change the Vanilla setting here).

But depending on other mods you're using (OCO/2, cosmetics mods, race overhauls, etc.) this could've been completely changed as well afterwards, or the Vanilla issue already fixed even.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, that actually made things worse. Either, I install that mod, and female textures are screwed up, or I reactivate HGEC for female Khajiit, and male textures look even worse. Is this because for some odd reason, Bethesda thought it a good idea for male and female Khajiits to use the same textures?

Yes, the plugin from Robert's Male body replacers will make it so the male Khajiit foot texture will be "textures/characters/Khajiit/male/RTfootmale.dds" and the female "textures/characters/Khajiit/male/footmale.dds" as per Vanilla settings.

HGEC by default will install its female textures under exactly that name, so there shouldn't be issues when using only both.

The problems only come from using "more" than the two alone. This "Khajiit Female Texture Fix" for instance change the above files to be "textures/characters/Khajiit/male/footmale.dds" for the males and "textures/characters/Khajiit/female/footfemale.dds" for the female Khajiiti. And this is where the problem comes. The fix provides a plugin with path changes for both but only the files from HGEC in the right location, Robert's Male, only providing "RTfootmale.dds", is screwed up.

That's where Wrye Bash and its invaluable Bashed Patch comes in to the rescue. With the proper Bash Tags for each of the plugins, it can be made so only the male path from Robert's Male plugin is preserved, together with the female path from the Khajiit fix. Without the Bashed Patch each will screw up the other again, as in normal plugin merging done by the game on load each plugin will incorporate its own settings for "both" genders again. (Oblivion doesn't even know gender distinction without the Bashed Patch.)

By default using only HGEC will screw up Vanilla male Khajiit bodies' feet.

Using only Robert's Male will not mess up anything.

Using Robert's Male "and" HGEC will also work perfectly fine.

Introducing the Khajiit Fix (or any Khajiit fix) will mess both up, and only comes with internal fixes for one, the females, so the males are screwed.

The Bashed Patch can fix all of this, if all plugins are tagged properly (the mentioned ones usually are by default, or by BOSS) and the merge is done correctly.