Photo

Fallout 4: Mod Lists in Nexus Mod Manager?

mod modding lists change

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

KerrdogJ

KerrdogJ

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hello all! I am relatively new to modding and have been enjoying the MXR videos on YouTube so far. I've been trying some of the weapon mods there and recently tried an ENB and water mod. However, I want to create a new character for a new play-through, and I want to use a second, new ENB and a second, new water mod. However, because I have a couple dozen mods activated, currently, I don't want to lose them on my old save file. Is there a way to jump back and forth between mod lists? I tried using Profiles, but that doesn't seem to work at all in the Nexus Mod Manager. Deactivating and then reactivating them each, one by one is rather time consuming.

I know that some mods can be activated, deactivated, and replaced with a conflicting mod without impacting the game too much (or so I've learned by experimenting with weapon mods). However, I've learned the hard way that this doesn't usually work well for large mods that affect the game's visuals or character meshes. I guess I'm trying to preserve my old save file and playthrough while at the same time enjoying a new playstyle in my new playthrough. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My technical ability is rather low, which is why I like the Nexus Mod Manager. It's easy to understand and use as far as activating and deactivating mods is concerned. My PC literacy is not particularly high, so I've had issues with manual installations and such. I like simple. :)

Thanks in advance!

WastelandAssassin

WastelandAssassin

Your Friendly Neighborhood Assassin

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,790 posts

I'm not sure how the profile system works in NMM , but in Mod Organizer 2 you could do that

however , as far as I'm aware , ENB presets are installed outside of your data folder . in such a case , I'm pretty sure you can't install an ENB preset with a mod manager , and if that's the case the profile system won't help with managing different presets

so in the case of presets , you would probably need to manually switch files by hand , depending on which character you plan on playing

I could be wrong on this matter though , as I don't usually use ENBs

so if you don't mind the learning experience , I would really recommend moving over to MO2 instead of NMM

however , since it seems you already have mods installed , it may require some extra work , as you may need to remove those mods and install them using MO2 , otherwise you may have issues (that depends on how you've installed these mods and where , so it's hard to say)

KerrdogJ

KerrdogJ

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I'm not sure how the profile system works in NMM , but in Mod Organizer 2 you could do that

however , as far as I'm aware , ENB presets are installed outside of your data folder . in such a case , I'm pretty sure you can't install an ENB preset with a mod manager , and if that's the case the profile system won't help with managing different presets

so in the case of presets , you would probably need to manually switch files by hand , depending on which character you plan on playing

so if you don't mind the learning experience , I would really recommend moving over to MO2 instead of NMM

however , since it seems you already have mods installed , it may require some extra work , as you may need to remove those mods and install them using MO2 , otherwise you may have issues (that depends on how you've installed these mods and where , so it's hard to say)

I appreciate the advice! I did some Googling earlier and I see Mod Org 2 referenced a lot. It looks like I might have started out using the wrong mod manager right off the bat. I even found a thread saying that Nexus Mod Manager was being discontinued!

I'll give Mod Org 2 a shot. I may be back with more questions though as I try to figure it out. :)

KerrdogJ

KerrdogJ

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Okay, so I have Mod Manager installed now and am actually liking it quite a bit. The tutorial was very well done and did a terrific job helping me learn how to use it. However, it didn't cover much on mods that already exist on the computer. Is there a way to import them into the Mod Manager, or do I have to uninstall them and then completely reinstall them again?

WastelandAssassin

WastelandAssassin

Your Friendly Neighborhood Assassin

• Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,790 posts

I think it depends on where they are installed , and how

if the mods are installed inside your Data folder , they will appear inside MO2 as unmanaged mods , which you don't want . so in such a case , it would be best to uninstall them , make sure to remove every trace of them , and installing them via MO2

if they are installed to a different folder , maybe you could try to move them to your Mods folder , though I think it depends on how they are installed in terms of the folder structure etc

all in all , I would recommend just uninstalling everything and installing again via MO2 . it might take more time , but it's the safest method

Miller_Heavy

Miller_Heavy

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

AGreatWeight

AGreatWeight

• Premium Member
  • 3,681 posts

For switching between ENB presets, you should use this handy little file Enb and Reshade remover. It removes all files related to ENB/presets from your Data folder, also works with Reshade files if you happen to use Reshade, and saves you having to manually delete all the files yourself. You'll have to manually re-add the .dll files from ENB again when you want to switch over to another preset, but you won't have to worry about orphaned files from a previously used preset/version of ENB conflicting with the what you're currently using.

Housekeeping advice:

I'd strongly advise that you create a folder somewhere and call it ENBs, which you can use as a backup. Inside that folder create two seperate folders and name them ENB and Presets respectively. Inside the ENB folder place the unzipped ENB files you downloaded from the ENB site (I'd highly recommend downloading all available versions for Fallout4, in case at a later date you choose to switch to an ENB preset that requires an earlier version) Then within the Presets folder you've made, place any ENB presets that you've downloaded into there.

HeyYou

HeyYou

Resident poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,758 posts

For switching between ENB presets, you should use this handy little file Enb and Reshade remover. It removes all files related to ENB/presets from your Data folder, also works with Reshade files if you happen to use Reshade, and saves you having to manually delete all the files yourself. You'll have to manually re-add the .dll files from ENB again when you want to switch over to another preset, but you won't have to worry about orphaned files from a previously used preset/version of ENB conflicting with the what you're currently using.

Housekeeping advice:

I'd strongly advise that you create a folder somewhere and call it ENBs, which you can use as a backup. Inside that folder create two seperate folders and name them ENB and Presets respectively. Inside the ENB folder place the unzipped ENB files you downloaded from the ENB site (I'd highly recommend downloading all available versions for Fallout4, in case at a later date you choose to switch to an ENB preset that requires an earlier version) Then within the Presets folder you've made, place any ENB presets that you've downloaded into there.

That sounds like it would be a good feature request for Vortex.......

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mod, modding, lists, change

Page loaded in: 0.872 seconds