Noob Needs Help. CLothing/Armor mods crashing game

MatayoFayo

So I am new to PC and modding on PC. I have quite a few mods active and feel like I've done well to read the mod info and follow load order instructions. Several times during gameplay, i have tried to equip armor and/or clothing and it causes my game to freeze completely. One other thing that occurs is when using the armorsmith bench. If I select a recipe to craft, I cannot back out of the recipe. Again, I am new to PC mods so I'm not super sure what to look for. Any help/info is greatly appreciated.

Edited by MatayoFayo

"Several times during gameplay, i have tried to equip armor and/or clothing and it causes my game to freeze completely"

the majority of clothing and or armor mods require a certain custom body (Such as CBBE, JB Body, etc etc) do you have the required custom body for the mods in question ?

if said armor and or clothing mod does not include a base custom body and you do not have said custom body, the game will likely crash/freeze. as the custom armor/ clothing will not work on a vanilla body.

Also many clothing and or armor mods, come in high resolution textures, such as 2k and 4k resolution, if your computer specs cannot handle these resolutions your game will freeze/crash and perform terribaly. as the resolutions will drain a lot of available memory, if you hardware does not have a lot of memory, this will result in game freezes, but could also result in crash to desktop, and at worst system freeze/hangup (however if the only high resolution textures you have are clothing and armor, then the chances of major issues, is incredibly low, as each armor and or clothing will not use that much memory at all, as oppose to the entire landscape being in 2k or 4k resolutions)

"One other thing that occurs is when using the armorsmith bench. If I select a recipe to craft, I cannot back out of the recipe"

this is caused by having excessive entries in any Workbench, the simple fix to this, is to open console and type: "slm 14" - (without Quotation marks, this will open the character customization menu, click on ok, and you will be able to exit the workbench)

link me to said clothing and or armor mods, and i will double check them for you, and offer help further. (simply copy the link of mentioned mods, and paste in a reply, if its an excessive amount of clothing and armor mods, use spoiler tags)

[*spoiler] List of Armor and Clothing Mods[*/spoiler] <-- (remove the asteriks after the *Open Bracket* to create spoilers)

Note: to open console, press the tilde key on your keyboard, tilde key = ' (the @ key, next to the hash key)

also list all of your mods, as well as your system specs, so i can see if your mod list requires more power then your computer can handle, freezes is almost always caused programs requiring more power then your system can handle. in this case it will be mods.

Note: the most Demanding mods are as follows: ENB, Reshade, Weather and Lighting Mods (Such as True Storms, Vivid Weathers, Enhanced Lights and Fx, Ultra Interior Lighting) and 2k / 4k texture overhauls. (thats high resolution and ultra high resolution textures respecitively

and the absolute most demanding will be 2k and 4k monitor resolutions.

Edited by Guest

Thank you so much for your reply. I apprecite the information. I dont believe I have custom body mods. I basically looked at required mods listed and grabbed those. I will check to see. Is the one youâd recommend? I will get the list of mods to you ASAP.

I highly Recommend CBBE along with Bodyslide and Outfit Studio, to fully customize your character build. (CBBE is for female characters only though, but even if you play as a male, you can still get the benefits of CBBE for every single Female NPC, including Companions, as you get to fully customize female characters, which likewise also affects clothing and armor for cbbe bodies, as long as said clothing and or armor comes with bodyslide files. which the majority do)

Edited by Guest

Awesome, I will look for that one. Sooooo, I deactivated all of the mods I was running. I had 41 mods running... maybe this is part of the problem? I was using AWKCR, Armorsmith Extended and UCO. These are the links to the clothing mods I was attempting to use.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13576

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6091

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2228

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20088

My specs are Intel i7-7700 3.60 gHZ, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080. I'm not opposed to clearing out the mods entirely and starting over. I guess I'm just not very clearly on properly using mods on PC. Console ruined me. As I said in my openeing post, I read the info on the mods I attempted use and looked at load orders but I'm certain I did something incorrectly. Stupid question, but will running the in-game mods with Nexus mods cause conflict?

Edited by MatayoFayo

1. first of all is your game setup for modding ?

Go here: C:\Users\Your Computer Name\Documents\My Games\Fallout4

Ensure that Fallout4Custom.ini Exists, (If It Does not, create it, by opening Either Fallout4.ini or Fallout4prefs.ini, delete everything inside either file, and click on file, Save As and name it "Fallout4Custom.ini" (Without Quotation marks)

then simply click on *Don't Save* (for the Fallout4.ini or Fallout4prefs.ini file)

now inside Fallout4Custom.ini Add this below:

[Archive]
sResourceDataDirsFinal=
bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

now in the same location open Fallout4.ini, and CTRL + F (sResourceDataDirsFinal)

Ensure that line only says this: sResourceDataDirsFinal=

so basically nothing is written after the Equals Sign *=*

now your game is setup for modding.

Continued - (Click on the *Show* button to view Content, i put a spoiler so my post does not take up the entire page, all information in the spoiler is relevant - the *Show* button is next to the word *Spoiler* click on it)

2. on pc the mod limit is 255 active ESP and Or ESM files (you are nowhere near this limit :wink: ), however the total amount of mods you can have is practically unlimited as long as the mods do not exceed 255 Active ESP or ESM files, such as mods that only have loose files, F4SE Plugin files, basically any mod that does not include ESP or ESM Files. (such as retexture mods, animation mods, etc etc)

right with that said onto your mods:

(First Link) Veteran Ranger NCR - AWKCR patch <-- you dont need this mod, the latest versions of AWKCR already make it Craft-able, which is the sole purpose of the patch in question. so i recommend deleting this patch.

all other mods are fine, however AWKCR primary purpose is for its additional custom workbenches, that many clothing and or armor mods use, as an alternative to the Chemistry Lab (however the recent versions of AWKCR does a lot for everything, so yea, brilliant mod, keep it, even if you dont use many clothing and or armor mods, same applies to Armorsmith Extended)

the mercenary pack is perfectly fine as well. although its AWKCR + AE Patch will likely be redundant now (will probably need updating, although their is a good chance that AWKCR fully supports it already). either way you wont need to change anything.

As for CBBE its greatest benefits will be for those that Play As Female Characters, or more Specifically those that use the Plethora of Female Clothing and or Armor Mods that are Specifically made for CBBE. so yea, if you have female companions i strongly recommend getting said armor and clothing mods, let me know if you want recommendations, i love armor and clothing mods, which pretty cover the majority of my maximum 255 mod load order. the rest are weapons, and high resolution texture mods.

Also welcome to pc modding, you have an aweful lot of choice now.

when you say in-game mods, are you refeering to Creation Club Content, or simply the clicking on the mod option on fallout 4 in game menu, which links to Bethesda.net ?

and lastly your system is pretty beastly you have a lot of optionality right there, for a potential amazing gaming experience, if you want mod recommendations, or simply want to know what i personally run, let me know. if you need any more help as let me know.

Edited by Guest

Yeah, I was referring the mod option on the F4 option screen.

I know when I first downloaded Nexus, following a process to set up for modding, but I donât recall the process you included. Its possible I miss that step or typed something in incorrectly. I have about 12 hours gameplay in and was using mods no problem. It wasnât until I tried adding AWKCR and Armorsmith that I had issues. Also, there was some clothing in the Project X mod that froze me up. I know I donât have CBBE in the list. I will follow this information tonight and see what happens. Thank you so much for all of your help and the information! I appreciate you very much!

So i just got home and checked my files. I do have a Fallout4Custom file. I added the info you suggested. In the folder it now reads as follows-

[Display]

iLocation X=0

iLocation Y=0

[Archive]sResourceDataDirsFinal=

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

I checked the other folders and everything appeared to be there. Perhaps it was the info in the custom folder that was killing me?

Also, since you offered ;), which mods might you reccomend? Iâd like to have unique armor and weapons. Honestly my first playthrough, I mostly used those type of mods. Second playthrough I attempted focusing on settlements with minimal mod use. That was all on console. Iâd like to keep using those, but now that I have my PC Iâd really like to open it up and experience the game in a new light.