Saved Game Runs, New Game does not ... Same Mod Load

bchick1

Hello,

I am a somewhat experienced user but cannot figure out why I can run a previously saved game but cannot start a new game.

The new came is starting with the same mod load/order as the saved game which has no problem staring and running.

The new game 'hangs' at the point right after I select 'New .." from the initial menu. There is the Skyrim symbol logo, some 'mist' plays across the screen but it does not go any further.

In MS Task Manager I see a relatively low cpu useage but high [ >2GB] memory activity. There is no HDD activity indicated.

This has me kinda stumped!

I am carrying a rather heavy mod load which is definitely a contributing factor but I cannot understand why the saved game starts and runs fine.

I would reduce the starting mods and add them in later but I read where that is NOT GOOD.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Did you update any of the mods, from prior to now?

IE: SkyrimMod. ( 07/31/2018 ) - to - SkyrimMod ( 08/06/2018 ) version?

And did you meet the needed REQUIREMENTS?

Some mods are going SKSE64 .. and will not work w/out it - and / or - you need to update accordingly.

Hello JJB54 ….

I have NOT updated any mods. The mods are identical and mod order has not changed.

My rig is VERY FAST since my hardware upgrade a few months ago. Normal Skyrim Startup is about 5 seconds. This is all it takes for the saved game to start.

I have 16 GB DDR4 ram. Task manager shows 2.39 GB holding /used for the Skyrim process. Not sure what is going on 'under the hood' at this time but there appears to be no HDD (actually an SSD) activity, or that would tell me SOMETHING.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with MODS starting up for THE FIRST TIME in a new game ??

This of course is not an issue with an established save game.

I do start to get messages (about 3) from mods starting up when I go to a new game prior to the 'hang'.

When ARE mods supposed to start? It seems there should be some kind of delay to let the primary skyrim exe to get established. {?}

there are mods that might break a new start , especially if used in conjunction

so it really depends on which mods you are trying to run together , specifically mods that might affect the new game sequence , or mods that initialize upon making a new character

though if you have previously managed to make a new game with this load order (the save file that you can load) , it would make little sense that the problem should start now.......

so the best way to try and figure it out is to compare you trying to make a new save now , and when you first started your current save file

if you still have the first save file when starting that character , you can try to look at the mods you had installed at that time (there are tools available that allows you to see which plugins were active in that save file , though I can't recall the name of the tool . a quick google search should provide you the answer)

because it sounds like that load order and your current one aren't the same

also , I've heard that people suffer from save issues if their save folder has too many files . so maybe try moving some of your older saves out of that folder , and see if it makes a difference?

this is a bit of a stretch , but your issue is a rather weird one

Thanks Wasteland Assassin (cool !)

I guess I should mention that I am using Skyrim SE if that makes any difference …

BUT, I would tend to agree with your assessment, at least in theory. I tried VERY HARD to NOT add mods into the mix on my last play-through, as I am looking for that Nirvana of the 'perfect Skyrim game' ….but I got tempted by some other mods along the way. … hmmm, reminds me of dating in High School…. but I digress …

I would not mind disabling (using NMM) all active mods and beginning with a clean base game with just environments and texture mods plus 'Skyrim Unbound' … except that I have read that I should NEVER change the load order or add new mods. But I might just have to break that 'rule' … [?]

adding new mods to your game isn't recommended , but it could be done

it really depends on which mods you plan on adding , and what you do after adding them

for example , mods that edit leveled lists would usually require you resetting these leveled lists (by sleeping or waiting for the time it takes all leveled lists respawn)

but some mods are based on quests or scripts that run on specific instances , so adding such mods after making a new character might break them

generally speaking I recommend reading the mod's descriptions , and seeing if it states something on that point . if it says that you must start a new game with it , it's probably best to start a new game with that mod enabled

What I usually do is add mods ( such as environment, weather, texture) first. I usually run LOOT and Wrye Bash and then start a new game and save it. Rinse and repeat. I use LOOT and Wrye Bash along the way and any cleaning (SSedit) that needs to happen.

At this point, I am aware of those mods that need to have a new game so those of course go in.

I COULD use NMM or Wrye Bash to disable a few of the usual suspects in the new game load to see if / when it starts....

Getting Skyrim to run is almost as much fun as the game itself!