BAT file needed to remove *.vortex* files

grrlie

Can anyone write a bat file to remove all of the vortex backup files from my FO4 installation? Thanks

FYI I found this mod manager is a piece of ....... difficult to use (and I'm a retired techie), adds shyte not needed, and impossible to completely uninstall. Please continue updating NMM - at least it works and allows you to set your own load order without jumping through hoops and back.

Not to break the install - but to completely uninstall the thing. Those vortex_backup files are duplicates of the original file and take up just as much space on the drive. Why the developers thought this was a great idea is beyond me and I'm not interested in using a tool that is harder to use than manually installing mods.

Not to break the install - but to completely uninstall the thing. Those vortex_backup files are duplicates of the original file and take up just as much space on the drive. Why the developers thought this was a great idea is beyond me and I'm not interested in using a tool that is harder to use than manually installing mods.

You might not know this, but Tannin is the Developer for Vortex, at least the Main Developer.

Also instead of just throwing out criticism, and saying it's s#*!.

Why is it Difficult to use? I've been using it since it was in closed Alpha and it's just as easy as using NMM, even easier actually cause it does it's job better.

What s#*! does it add? Other than the files you want removed which, I believe hold the stuff that tells Vortex what it's installed. I've just looked through my Skyrim SE Data folder and FO4 Data folder, the only stuff Vortex has added are the mods's I've installed and files that are required for it to do it's job.

I haven't tried, nor wanted to uninstall Vortex so I cannot comment on that.

They aren't "duplicates of the original file", they are backups of the files that vortex found (externally installed) when deploying the mods you enabled in vortex.

Vortex has to create backups of those, otherwise it would not be able to restore the game directory to its original state and also risk irreversibly deleting files that you made manual edits to or that you otherwise can't recover.

If you want to get rid of vortex you just have to click the "Purge" button inside vortex, that will restore the game directory to how it was before you activated mods through vortex.

Thanks Tannin - I totally missed the purge button. Grestorn, I hope you are never frustrated about a piece of software you are having trouble learning ... fyi I was an Infrastructure Tech (hardware). Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have not been able to get loose files to work since the 106 update ... or Mod Mgr 2 or NMM or Vortex or BEth.ini to get loose files to work . Now in process of deleting all Mod managers, uninstalling FO4 and starting all over.

Edited by grrlie

@grrlie, I don't mind people asking questions, I don't mind people not understanding things which seem obvious to me, I don't mind explaining things in detail and I can understand if people get frustrated.

What I don't understand is why you have to call names ("piece of ...") just because you don't get something. From a quite objective point of view, Vortex is much much better than NMM. That it seems to be more complicated at first is mainly caused by the complexity of modding itself, especially Bethesda games. NMM just does a poor job of covering those issues. That makes it look easier, but it the end it just falls short on the most basic functions.

So, if you know what's good for you and modding your games, learn how to use Vortex, learn what you have to understand about modding and ASK people NICELY instead of calling something shyte.

When you purge mods, it usually leaves folders behind. Lots and lots of empty folders with "__delete_if_empty" as a marker I guess manual deletion. But, there's lots. Lots and lots of these folders, and right down the bottom, there might just be a hand-edited file I stuck there at some point. It was so long ago, I have no reason to remember I put that there. But, looking at the folder structure from the top, there's no mechanic to suggest there is that useful file all the way down there, unless you go and explore it by following the trail.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there an external program that could search through and highlight if there are files remaining after a purge? It's likely I'd like to keep those and reinstall them after deployment.

Right now, I'm just leaving everything there, as messing and disgusting as that is, and not really worrying about it. But, what happens if on deployment, the system wants to overwrite one or more of these hand-edited files? Will it do that? Do I have to worry that it will just erase my work like that?

Well, first of all, purge will not leave __delete_if_empty directories unless the directory is not in fact empty. These files are actually markers for purge so it knows which directories it can delete (once they are empty).

If there is a hand-edited file then yes, purge will leave the directory there, it has to otherwise it would delete your hand-edited file as well. And it leaves the __delete_if_empty tags so it can clean the directory in the future, otherwise Vortex would actually leave empty directories.

And on deployment Vortex will not delete your hand-edited files, it will rename them to <old name>.vortex_backup if they would otherwise be overwritten. That's actually what this thread was about.

All of this is necessary exactly so vortex does not delete your hand-edited files.