Whiterun CTD's

GirlGamer55

Posted this on the Steam forums since I need help now, so 100% copy and pasted.

Firstly I have mods running, only two involve Whiterun and both were working just fine last night. Secondly don't ask about what hardware I have. I can run Skyrim just fine or at least used to. I only ask this because it's a waste of time.

Now to the actual problem.

Today it was running fine until I fiddled with the ini file (I made a back up save of the original file with no changes). Then I went to a modded area, saw that missing textures purple and promptly CTD'ed. So I thought, just in case, I would put my old ini file back. Did it and started up again, using a save before I went into the modded area. CTD.

So I started fixing things. I uninstalled mods that I just installed today, CTD. I verifyed the game files, CTD. I did the 16 bit sound fix, CTD. I even restarted my pc, CTD. I ran the game in windowed mode, CTD. Now with that last try, I actually got into Whiterun via fast travel to Dragonsreach, since normally fast traveling to Whiterun or walking to it makes me CTD. So I walked all the way from Dragonsreach to the gate and thought ok lets try going outside the city. CTD.

I can go to Riverwood and walk to the Mead brewers outside of Whiterun before CTD, so it's not just an outside thing. I narrowed it down to Whiterun and outside of Whiterun.

I have no mods effecting anything outside of Whiterun and the two mods I have effecting inside Whiterun are Sexy Cities Whiterun and Noble Breezehome. And like I said before, both worked fine last night. The whole damn game worked last night.

The only thing I can think of that might have done something was my ini edits. But since I had a backup...it should have fixed itself.

I'm at my wits end with this damn game. Besides uninstalling all my mods and then the game, and reinstalling the game then the mods one by one, I have no ideas left. And I really do not want to do that. It's like a last option, if there is no hope for me.

Someone please help?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was ugrids one of the ini tweaks?

Do you get the same CTD when loading an old save and traveling to the CTD prone white run?

If you fast travel to dragonreach and head to gate, can you reset cell buffer in console? (Long shot)

Probably unrelated, but eliminating every possibility : are your save file sizes in normal range?

Have you tried wait/rest 30 days after fast traveling to and from ?

Again, most of these are long shots and unlikely, especially since you seem you know what your doing. So I'm just spit balling every possibility based on others issues throughout the forums.

I know you said you don't have any other mods that modify the Whiterun area, but what about npcs? I was ctd-ing because I installed an Ysolda mod and forgot that I had uninstalled apachii's hair mod the day before.

Was ugrids one of the ini tweaks?

Do you get the same CTD when loading an old save and traveling to the CTD prone white run?

If you fast travel to dragonreach and head to gate, can you reset cell buffer in console? (Long shot)

Probably unrelated, but eliminating every possibility : are your save file sizes in normal range?

Have you tried wait/rest 30 days after fast traveling to and from ?

Again, most of these are long shots and unlikely, especially since you seem you know what your doing. So I'm just spit balling every possibility based on others issues throughout the forums.

All I can remember was that the ini fix was posted on Steam forums and had something along the lines of crashing no more or not at all, something like that. Can't find it now...

I get the CTD with all of my saves from last night. I might try an even older save just for the hell of it.

Uh...what's the exact command, i'll try it.

I don't know how to see what save file sizes are.

I haven't tried that, i'll try it with the other things i'm trying I guess.

I know you said you don't have any other mods that modify the Whiterun area, but what about npcs? I was ctd-ing because I installed an Ysolda mod and forgot that I had uninstalled apachii's hair mod the day before.

Only a Lydia mod, but since shes following me all the time (including the rare moments I don't CTD), I don't think it's her. It edits her to look like Triss from Witcher 2.

Im not familiar with the forum post you're referring.

Yea, definitely try a save from some time before the CTDs began.

console command= rcb

save size= should be under your documents. (libraries/documents/my games/skyrim/saves) here you'll find the list of your saves which will include the size of each save.

(for example: my current playthrough is so far is normal range Lvl48 222hrs save 1473: 9,426KB)

Last playthrough had bloated save files which resulted in hangups, freezes, and CTDs

Waiting 30 days has been suggested to allow scripts to complete, and cellls to reset. Many have reported it to resolve complications

Im not familiar with the forum post you're referring.

Yea, definitely try a save from some time before the CTDs began.

console command= rcb

save size= should be under your documents. (libraries/documents/my games/skyrim/saves) here you'll find the list of your saves which will include the size of each save.

(for example: my current playthrough is so far is normal range Lvl48 222hrs save 1473: 9,426KB)

Last playthrough had bloated save files which resulted in hangups, freezes, and CTDs

Waiting 30 days has been suggested to allow scripts to complete, and cellls to reset. Many have reported it to resolve complications

Tried a save from when I was in Riverwood, lvl 4 (i'm lvl 11 now so, kinda far back) and I CTD'ed when fast traveling to Dragonsreach.

Can't even get into Whiterun to try that command.

Save size is about 4,500kb or so.

I got up to 8 days waiting in Riverwood on my lvl 4 before it crashed.

Ok I updated to the beta since my bf thought why the hell not try it. I got to Dragonsreach via fast travel and tried that command. Command not found is what the console said.

So I went to the main gate and tried to leave Whiterun and I CTD.

Ok

The rcb may not work after fast traveling since you're technically crossing into a new cell. Lets ignore that then, apologies.

Would you mind listing what mods you are running. I'm actually having a CTD issue as of last night, i can compare with mine. But I've been mostly beta testing RCRN lately, which isn't affected by this issue so i haven't really bothered addressing yet.

Your file size is good, we can rule that out.

My other questions are mod related, so your list can eliminate those.

Edited by pandorax357

Ok

The rcb may not work after fast traveling since you're technically crossing into a new cell. Lets ignore that then, apologies.

Would you mind listing what mods you are running. I'm actually having a CTD issue as of last night, i can compare with mine. But I've been mostly beta testing RCRN lately, which isn't affected by this issue so i haven't really bothered addressing yet.

Your file size is good, we can rule that out.

My other questions are mod related, so your list can eliminate those.

Oy..Um..does the NMM have a way to export a list or do I have to type out every last one? Might be here a while if I do lol.