How to Keep CK from Overwriting FaceGeom NIF/DDS files?

So basically I've learned how to create standalone NPCs (custom meshes/textures) for the PC version of Skyrim (both LE/SSE) and am wanting to upload to SSE for Xbox. It seems when I do that the NPC will have a messed up head. She will have the standard vanilla face mesh placed over the intended head mesh but the hair included in my NPC looks fine.

I have noticed CK 2.0 will auto-save/overwrite the FaceGen Data NIFs/DDS files every time I save my esp and also when I upload my character. So it's overwriting my intended FaceGeom NIF/FaceTint DDS files. In order to restore my character's appearance in the PC game I paste over the original intended FaceGen Data NIFs/DDS files the CK keeps saving with my backup files -- keeping the same file name of course. When I go into SSE PC, my character looks as they should.

I basically created my follower in RaceMenu for Skyrim LE, used NifMerge to "merge" the FaceGeom data from the CK (32bit), constructed them in the CK (32bit) (of course), ported them over to SSE using the standard methods for porting to SSE, and then to ultimately upload to B.NET for Xbox.

I've noticed some modders have had no problems getting their standalones on SSE-->B.NET and XB1 with the correct face, ie. Frida (vanilla voicetype/dialog), Recorder (custom voicetype/dialog), Inigo (custom voicetype/dialog) -- what's the secret there? I noticed that with Recorder and Inigo, they don't have facegeom data files in the DATA>meshes/textures>actors>character>facegendata... directories but have these files stored in a BSA. Is that the key to success? But if I load the ESP in CK 2.0 won't it just overwrite the files still and store the new data in the BSA?

• Is there a setting to tell the CK to stop auto-writing FaceGenData so I can use the correct NIF/DDS files when I upload to B.NET?
  • Is there an INI setting for that?
  • Do I need to include a femalehead.nif in my data/mesh/actor/character/MOD.ESP/head folder and link the textures in NifScope as well as add the headpart+texture set in the CK?
  • Do I need to create a new race for my NPC and turn off the FaceGen head flag?

Someone on B.NET suggested I have the box for "Is CharGen Preset" in the Actor/NPC window marked, tried that and it didn't work - I believe that does something else entirely. After saving it still saved over my FaceGenData files.

Thanks for any guidance :smile:

Just wondering on this.