? about textures file size....

LadyHonor

So I downloaded a mod that retextures just about the entire game and although I liked almost all of them, some of them I didn't particularly care for the color schemes. So I made some retextures of my own....anyway, the other modder's files are half the size of mine even tho the resolutions and image size are the same.....why is that???

Can depend on the compression algorithm ; DXT1 is smaller than DXT5 or BC7.

Also the program used ; Paint.net is not the same as GIMP, for instance, even using the same compression variation.

Another factor is the bit-depth of the original image.

hmmm that may be it....the dxt1 vs dxt5 thingie....i pretty much save everything dxt5....and i use a combination of gimp for the diffuse, spec, and tint maps and photoshop for pretty much just normal maps and saving my tint maps from png format to dds....i like the tools better in gimp than photoshop.

another question tho….will dxt1 show up in the game just as well as dxt5? i'm new to this retexturing stuff...I reckon it shows. lol

oh and I don't actually edit the other modder's stuff. I start from scratch with my own. it's not really that difficult to do with a rug. lol

Edited by LadyHonor