How I fixed a big dragon riding issue

Tetraeus

Hello everyone! I do not post often on these forums, and maybe my post should be moved elsewhere. Anyway I'm sorry for the inconvenience if it does.

My game is Skyrim Legendary Edition

I had a game breaking bug when it came to dragon riding: the Dragon would not attack even if my target was selected and in plain sight. It reapeatedly said "Zu'nis I cannot do that" or "Krosis it cannot be done" even when spamming the attack button. This problem was here form months.

I did not install a lot of mods modifying Dragon behavior, only Command Dragon and Run for your Lives. So, when uninstalled, everything would become normal, right? Except it was wrong. Even by starting a new save to be sure there were not any leftovers from these mods, my dragons were still unable to attack.

I concluded that my dragon behavior and AI scripts have been permanently modified and it couldn't be undone. So for a while I abandonned the research.

Then a week ago, I thought about it. If my Dragon AI and behavior have been modified, wouldn't installing a mod which modify them fix the error?

So I searched a little bit and found KS Dragon Overhaul (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/91469), which drastically modifies Dragon AI. Desperate for a solution, I installed it. Before running the game though, I Cleaned my save game using Fallrim tools for Skyrim Legendary Edition (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/76776).

Launched ReSaver.exe and cleaned :

-Unattached Instances

-Undefined Elements

-FormLists conaining NullRefs

I did not clean non-existent form instances

Once done, I launched my game, wait a few seconds for the mod MCM menu to register. Then I did go to Combat (Pg.2) and selected Dynamic AI

I believe Dynamic AI changed the Dragon AI. I pretty much did not touch any other features except for enabling Main Shout and Secondary Shout, checking Safe Zones and checking the Lore-friendly names under the Misc section.

Anyways, when I Used the Bend Will shout on a random dragon and ordered it to attack a random target, it worked! The Dragon followed the basic attack mechanic like it does in vanilla Dragonborn DLC. I repeated it on numerous Dragon upon various locations, and it still works!

I am posting in this topic how I fixed the bug, but I cannot guarantee it will work for anyone. I cannot say if my problem was specific to my game or if its generic. If you want to follow my steps though, please make backups whenever you can, carefully install mods or software keeping in mind that it may not work and you might have to uninstall them.

I will not be responsible for any harm you cause to your game, or your savegame, so please be cautious and use at your own discretion.