File Conflicts still not functioning at a per-file level?

tryguy

So, I hand-edited a skeleton from one particular mod. I saved that and added it to Vortex as like "mod-edit". It announces there's a conflict, and I tell it to install "mod-edit" after "mod".

All good?

I check the Data folder to see the skeleton from mod there. Not the hand-edited one.

I do a purge and redeployment, thinking that make sure that the file is overwritten this time. It doesn't.

It doesn't do anything, even though the rule clearly states that "mod-edit" should be installed after.

The only way I got this to work is to grab the files and physically overwrite them within Data. Meaning, I'm not sure what might happen if I purge/redeploy again. Will it see that there's a new file there and not install the skeleton from "mod"? Will it just follow rules and install it over the top? I honestly don't know what to expect here.

I have kept a copy of my edits though. So, I can copy them back again if I need to.

But, why doesn't Vortex just ensure the files are overwritten correctly? Is this not a feature yet?

Wait, what does this have to do with per-file conflict resolution?

If I understood you correctly your claim is that mod dependency rules don't work to begin with. Those are supposed to work, if you set up a rule for "mod-edit" to load after "mod" then yes, all conflicting file should be provided by "mod-edit".

Without any further information I can't tell you more than what you described is supposed to work and it does for me. If you could give me a concrete example of mods and rules that don't generated the expected file overrides I will look into it further.

Wait, what does this have to do with per-file conflict resolution?

If I understood you correctly your claim is that mod dependency rules don't work to begin with. Those are supposed to work, if you set up a rule for "mod-edit" to load after "mod" then yes, all conflicting file should be provided by "mod-edit".

Without any further information I can't tell you more than what you described is supposed to work and it does for me. If you could give me a concrete example of mods and rules that don't generated the expected file overrides I will look into it further.

Well, here's my issue:

XPMSE uninstalled. This is an image of what the Data/Meshes/actors/character/character assets/ folder looks like. See the timestamps?

Njtdd5Q.jpg

Install XPMSE. It overwrites those files, as it should.

8nCCMzm.jpg

Install my edited skeleton, but these 13/08/2018 are NOT overwritten. There's nothing I can do to make Vortex overwrite these. Purging/deploying doesn't do it. It just won't do it.

These are the timestamps of the edited files:

AkzJZVg.jpg

And here's the rules telling vortex to overwrite them, just like it did with the nexus download:

ibIHLuj.jpg

There's literally nothing I can do to make vortex do the right thing here. The files in the game folder are still on 13/08/2018. So... that's an issue, right?

But, I should also say that when I did manually put these files over the top, I didn't notice at first, but it seems like at some point vortex did notice that external change and copied the files back into XPMSE's folders. It must have done this before as well, but I didn't notice it. I just redid it, just to see, and it does that copy immediately. I imagine to get the original skeleton back, I'd have to uninstall/install it from the file again. That's cool. I like that approach.

The only thing is that it doesn't come up with that box that asks me what to do there, if to revert the external changes or to save them. I don't get that dialog, vortex just copies the files straight in there. I hadn't realized it until I looked. I just did it, and it didn't present a confirmation screen (like it does with FNIS changes).

So, is this enough to go on? Why isn't it overwriting these files? Why isn't it presenting me with a dialog of the external change when I do overwrite them manually?

Edit: Oh, and I should say that I'd much prefer to keep my edits for official mods in separate packages, and have them overwrite what I want to. The way vortex wants to modify the mod folder to reflect the current state of the game folder is cute. But, that's not what I'd in this instance. What I'd prefer is for the original mod to be installed as is. And to stay that way, and then my little edit is pasted over the top, and kept in it's own little folder. It doesn't have to be like that. But that seems like a good way to stay organized if I'm doing a lot of these small edits.

Edited by tryguy