New To Modding. Is this mod install list out of date?

GenkiM

if you're going to play survival mode let me get you a mod or 2 that will greatly help

1) https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17445

2) https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16810

3) https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17496

Can I install most of these without invalidating my save or is it a case of having to start over when I install new mods?

Installing a mod into any play through is fine as long as you rebuild the bashed patch each time a mod is added ( or a bunch of mods ), BUT, YOU NEVER REMOVE A MOD UNLESS YOU ARE STARTING A NEW CHARACTER, if you do it will break everyone of your saves every time

Thanks, that's brilliant, I'll get those installed. I'm currently going through the mod list starting with the most popular and installing mostly quality of life mods.

"Popularness" by endorsements has become a suboptimal metric to figure out which mods are actually good to use.

The issue is (or was) that when FO4 was brand new, a lot of users flooded in and started using mods, leaving endorsements and so on. There were comparatively few mods back then (like, late 2015, early 2016, before survival mode or the CK was even a thing) but they received tons of endorsements because everything was new and they were available.

Later, after the CK had hit and modders were actually building more complex stuff, a lot of users went to play different games because FO4 tends to become boring more quickly than its predecessors. This led to the more sophisticated mods getting comparatively less endorsements.

Now, that's not generally problematic for mods that are "finished" in general. But there are some of the most endorsed mods that do things we know as unsafe today and are not maintained. Spring Cleaning is a prime example of this. It's got some technical problems and isn't actively maintained any more. The alternative Scrap Everything has active maintenance going on and is much less prone to issues (because someone who knows his stuff is maintaining it) but because it was added just a tiny bit after Spring Cleaning, it's only got about 60% of the endorsements of Spring Cleaning despite being the objectively superior mod for the use case "I want to scrap more stuff".

Similarly, True Storms is a great weather mod, especially considering when it was built but it's not actively maintained (I guess fadingsignal considers it finished) and it's basically bug-free - while NAC came just a few weeks later, is still maintained actively, is more comprehensive and detailed, but has a fraction of the endorsements.

Sort by "Trending" (which is endorsements and downloads over time) instead of endorsements to get a better impression what the hard-core user base that's active today thinks is good. Sometimes there's a better alternative with far less endorsements for what you want to do. It might just be newer than the higher endorsed mods you'll see at the top of the list when sorting by endorsements. Actually, do both but go by category first and limit the search to 1 year back. There's a lot of great, literally game-changing mods out there that sit at a few dozens to hundreds of endorsements.

Edited by payl0ad

"Popularness" by endorsements has become a suboptimal metric to figure out which mods are actually good to use.

The issue is (or was) that when FO4 was brand new, a lot of users flooded in and started using mods, leaving endorsements and so on. There were comparatively few mods back then (like, late 2015, early 2016, before survival mode or the CK was even a thing) but they received tons of endorsements because everything was new and they were available.

Later, after the CK had hit and modders were actually building more complex stuff, a lot of users went to play different games because FO4 tends to become boring more quickly than its predecessors. This led to the more sophisticated mods getting comparatively less endorsements.

Now, that's not generally problematic for mods that are "finished" in general. But there are some of the most endorsed mods that do things we know as unsafe today and are not maintained. Spring Cleaning is a prime example of this. It's got some technical problems and isn't actively maintained any more. The alternative Scrap Everything has active maintenance going on and is much less prone to issues (because someone who knows his stuff is maintaining it) but because it was added just a tiny bit after Spring Cleaning, it's only got about 60% of the endorsements of Spring Cleaning despite being the objectively superior mod for the use case "I want to scrap more stuff".

Similarly, True Storms is a great weather mod, especially considering when it was built but it's not actively maintained (I guess fadingsignal considers it finished) and it's basically bug-free - while NAC came just a few weeks later, is still maintained actively, is more comprehensive and detailed, but has a fraction of the endorsements.

Sort by "Trending" (which is endorsements and downloads over time) instead of endorsements to get a better impression what the hard-core user base that's active today thinks is good. Sometimes there's a better alternative with far less endorsements for what you want to do. It might just be newer than the higher endorsed mods you'll see at the top of the list when sorting by endorsements. Actually, do both but go by category first and limit the search to 1 year back. There's a lot of great, literally game-changing mods out there that sit at a few dozens to hundreds of endorsements.

Awesome, thanks :) I did actually install true storms but will switch to NAC, and I'll modify my search as you suggest.

I've got Scrap Everything instead of Spring Clean and I've Installed VIS.

I've installed DEF UI also, but can't seem to get the scrap materials to show up when I hover the mouse-point/gunsight over it; i've tried several different installations and followed a video on youtube but still no luck. I'm probably going to start a new thread to try and find help for that. :/

I've got see through scopes, Improved Map, and the three you recommended for Survival mode installed too.

That's more or less as far as I've got so far. I skipped vivid textures, better settlers and the stand alone weaponry stuff. I'm going more for quality of life, but I'm going to continue looking through the list.

install them in the numbered order i have them, when prompted, overwrite each time :smile:

https://imgur.com/a/U9zUjZb

If you already installed some of those, just uninstall AND delete them in NMM then do the list

The way i do it is i always install those 5 mods last, together they are essentially an overhaul

Edited by gromulos

install them in the numbered order i have them, when prompted, overwrite each time :smile:

https://imgur.com/a/U9zUjZb

If you already installed some of those, just uninstall AND delete them in NMM then do the list

The way i do it is i always install those 5 mods last, together they are essentially an overhaul

Brilliant, thanks. :) I'm guessing they'll work with HUD Plus Plus? I've installed that one too.

i would add it ( install it ) right after you do the icon mod

and load it in your load order that way also

Edited by gromulos

yea that's fine, like i said any thing you isntall that affects my original list should be installed right after the mod on my list, that way if you have to over write you don't mess anything up :)