Heavy Traffic ×

Vortex vs NMM? Confused

shamiro1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm back after a 9 month absence, and I intended to resume my FO4 modding spree, but, my NMM seems to be obsolete, can't seem to find a way to update to the new "non-official" versions and I find that a new thing called Vortex seems to be the manager supported by Nexus now? The plot thickens. Dunno what to do. :geek:

Unofficial updates to NMM can be found on github

• 4 months later...

I'm back after a 9 month absence, and I intended to resume my FO4 modding spree, but, my NMM seems to be obsolete, can't seem to find a way to update to the new "non-official" versions and I find that a new thing called Vortex seems to be the manager supported by Nexus now? The plot thickens. Dunno what to do. :geek:

I'm back after a SEVEN month absence, and just spent three or four days getting mods in order on NMM, only to find out very late in the process that supposedly no one's using NMM anymore. Then again, I still use a BlackBerry Passport smartphone, so I'm okay with it not being the latest and greatest, as long as it's functional.

Ah... IS it functional?

Guest deleted34304850

where did you find out that NMM is not being used by anyone? Or did you just make that up out of thin air?

I do not get Vortex. So far it has broken both games I have tried to play with it, Wild Hunt and Fallout 4, and provided no hint that anything is either wrong or even mendable. Nexus has been great, but this thing just does not appear to work. At least with NMM I was given pointers as to what had gone wrong and how I could fix it, but with Vortex there are just a few redundant claims that it is a good bit of kit.

Feels like a nail in the non-commercial modding coffin to me. Is it deliberate or accidental though?

Guest deleted34304850

vortex works very well and does give you a LOT of information when it finds what it thinks is a problem.

by the way, it doesn't break your games, you do. like any computer program, it does what you tell it to do. it used to be called garbage in, garbage out. if your games don't work, then the issues lie with you 100%.

I do not get Vortex. So far it has broken both games I have tried to play with it, Wild Hunt and Fallout 4, and provided no hint that anything is either wrong or even mendable. Nexus has been great, but this thing just does not appear to work. At least with NMM I was given pointers as to what had gone wrong and how I could fix it, but with Vortex there are just a few redundant claims that it is a good bit of kit.

Feels like a nail in the non-commercial modding coffin to me. Is it deliberate or accidental though?

Oh please leave the "modding iz ded hurr durr" rhetoric out. NMM tells you only what files get overwritten and if your plugins are missing a master or are in the wrong master>dependency. The rest of the modding is done by knowing how a load order should look like and using xedit to determine conflicts, not by using NMM.

Ho-hum. Another piece of melodramatic nonsense. :rolleyes: I remember when people said the same thing about NMM, especially when the developers introduced profile management.

I'm back after a SEVEN month absence, and just spent three or four days getting mods in order on NMM, only to find out very late in the process that supposedly no one's using NMM anymore. Then again, I still use a BlackBerry Passport smartphone, so I'm okay with it not being the latest and greatest, as long as it's functional.

Ah... IS it functional?

I wouldn't at all say that, there's still quite a lot of people who use NMM for one reason or another. I'm willing to bet there are still people out there who still use Windows XP. Not many, but they're probably out there. Vortex has a bit of a learning curve to it, but I've found it to be a God-send in my experience. My Fallout New Vegas installation has never been so stable when I switched over to it. It also helped me declutter and improve Fallout 4's stability too; still has issues because of some mods I refuse to let go of, but nothing like it was before. I can't vouch for non-Bethesda games, but for Fallout 4 & Vegas, I wouldn't even consider going back to NMM for those games.

I'd recommend patience when learning it, but yes, the program is indeed quite functional in my experience. If you don't watch the video tutorials, I at least highly recommend taking it slow, and reading through the FAQ section, and especially the Support Forums here. Lot of helpful people here, their posts helped me set it up relatively painlessly.

Cannot overstate this, set it up for a fresh installation.

• 2 weeks later...

Vortex can do what NMM does and it already has loot rules built into it.

I used to be an NMM fan, but have switched to Vortex, the only thing Vortex needs is the ability to drag and drop in the load order.

Thanks a lot for the answer. Is it possible for me to move from NMM without need to reinstall the game with all it's mods? I have 234 active plugins in my installation atm and it's dead stable so I would only move if there would be IMPORT function that would not mess everything up. Thanks again

Then avoid Vortex. I too had a large stable setup under NMM. Had....

Though there is an import function to Vortex, their own web pages warn that this can be problematic especially if (as you probably do):-

There are several ways you may end up with unmanaged files when using NMM:

• When mods are updated.
  • When mod files are generated by another tool (e.g. animation mods that require FNIS).
  • Whenever you have manually added files to your data folder, or used another method than NMM to place files in the data folder.

Because the probability for having unmanaged files in your data folder increases with every mod you use with NMM, we recommend opting for a fresh start with Vortex.

I went ahead anyway. Cost me hours to fix. A fresh installation with the setup I want is not a small ask.

Oh, and that damned ad ffs....