[Request] No HUD fix

Qnez

In previous MH games when you turn the HUD off you could still see it momentarily if you hold L.(the item navigation button) For some reason they took that out of world, making playing without HUD pretty impossible. HUD turned off really adds to the immersion of these games so its a shame. Anyone willing to fix/add this? Would be nice if it could work like it used to.

• 1 month later...

I don't think it's possible to add a button function that brings the HUD back momentarily, without some kind of extra memory script hacking.

As far as I know, anyway. That's how it was for Skyrim, I think.

Also, not much is known about GUI formats right now (as far as I know). I'm not on the modding discord, so I don't know what they're up to.

I tried to work around the character creation GUI thing, but didn't get anywhere.

Edited by UberGrainy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi there.
I've actually spent a significant amount of time over the last couple months trying to fix this myself. I'm not really a modder but I did manage to get pretty far towards a working solution and I'll include what I've done here for anyone who wants to try it. It isn't the cleanest solution, but I've been using it myself for a few days.
To summarise, I wrote an AutoHotkey script which creates an overlay that acts as a "substitute" HUD. This second HUD can be toggled on or off if/when an assigned button is held down, similar to how the "hide HUD" function behaved in previous games. It was originally made with the intention of moving the HUD onto a second screen similar to the way it worked in the DS Monster Hunter titles.
The script itself uses the GUI functionality in ahk to construct the overlay and a memory class written by someone more knowledgeable on the subject than me (https://github.com/Kalamity/classMemory) to read values from an MHW process. While active, it repeatedly checks a number of addresses via pointer chains and updates the overlay accordingly.
To actually use the script, you'll either need AutoHotkey installed or to compile the .ahk file into an .exe using ahk2exe or something similar. If MHW is running at the same time, it *should* work regardless of which was started first. Settings can be changed by opening the .ahk file in a text editor and changing values under the SETTINGS section near the top - things like how often the overlay updates, where it's positioned, how big its elements are and the toggle key can be changed there.
With an update for the Winter Star Fest looming in the next day or so, I don't think I can manage to compile a list of all the script's features and quirks before the version change causes the included pointers to break. However, there are several important things that the default HUD does that this one doesn't, and vice versa - A few things to note are:
This script can't do anything about the minimap being hidden.
It doesn't list available songs on the current hunting horn.
Going into the training area with the in-game HUD disabled causes some pointers to fail temporarily, I don't know why.
The script does however show the amount of time remaining for status effects in the form of small bars.
It differentiates between some status effects that are compacted into a single icon in-game.
It shows certain weapon parameters that the game doesn't expose - eg. charge blades' sword charge progress.
Optionally, it shows HP of large monsters, which - if enabled - should be used with respect for other players' intentions.
With all that said, the script is pretty close to being finished but has some issues that I'm struggling with - these largely have to do with addresses and pointer chains. Apart from being generally unconfident about their reliability, the largest issue is that party members' names and HP values don't work because I can't scan for them reliably without help. So if you have more experience playing with hex editors or know of better pointer chains for anything else, I'd be happy to hear from you. Otherwise, I'd also be happy to hear if it doesn't work for anyone, whether because of bad addresses or something else.
I'm also new to these forums so I'm not sure how to acceptably share files - I hope I don't upset anyone with this link. Download the "MHW Hidden HUD Fix" folder and put it anywhere and then edit/run the .ahk file. It also includes a pre-compiled .exe but settings can't be changed for it so it's not terribly useful outside of testing.
Edit: Looks like I made a mistake about the timing of the next version change, but I changed some stuff anyway.
Edit2: Mod has been published. A lot of this post is no longer relevant. It's a bit better now:
https://www.nexusmods.com/monsterhunterworld/mods/561
Edited by mizutamari