Helgen CTD Every Time w/Mods (I've Looked Everywhere for Answers)

PixelRez

I am indeed using SKSE 64.

If you have Legendary Edition, then you should NOT be using SKSE64 (2.0.7). You should be using SKSE (1.7.3).

Any ideas on what the actual issue here could be?

You quoted my post but didn't say that you tried anything that I suggested (but I see that you switched Verdant to the correct version).

What are your system specs?

You mentioned having an ENB. Did you go through the ENB checklist? It's important to set up enblocal.ini correctly.

For Verdant, did you modify iMinGrassSize as stated in the instructions? If you didn't, then it could be making the grass too dense, which might cause crashes.

So, I did try those things. I couldn't figure out how to set some of them up properly though, so it would crash me. Especially ENBoost. For Verdant, yes, I did do that.

Basically, I uninstalled everything. Skyrim, mods, etc. I reinstalled them and went 1 by 1 with installing. It's been going well so far, nothing has been crashing, and I've been able to go in and out of Riverwood. Everything is pretty much fine for the most part. I'm still installing though because of a glitch I'm having with actually downloading the mods... seems everytime I fix one thing a new problem appears. Basically, some of the mods aren't even being downloaded off of the site with the ESP files anymore. That's my only issue right now. Once I can get that fixed, I'll be able to find the issue that's causing me to crash at Riverwood, and should be okay to play from there unless a new issue arises. If you'd like full details on that, I've got a new post about it here.

Also, I did switch to regular SKSE. So all is well there. I wasn't launching Skyrim with it though, but rather through Steam, which a Discord friend told me was quite a bad idea. I don't know what bad luck I have with modding this game, but it's been four days and I'm still coming up with new issues. Lmaoooo.

ok first off, all those links Grospolina linked are nothing more than shortcuts, if you're going to use mods you need to learn how to do what those links do, yourself

Try my guide, yes it has links in it, BUT, i explain what each program does, and more importantly how to use those programs

What I am getting at is the fact that you're using all those mods and you have no Bashed Patch from Wrye, ANYTIME you use more than 4 or 5 mods you should also be using a Bashed Patch

Let me know if you need further help through PM, i will be more than happy to help you :smile:

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2235394-beginners-guide-to-modding/

One other thing i noticed

Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp - should be loaded LAST unless the author of the mod below has stated other wise ( directly above the bashed patch, which should always be last )
ELE_Legendary_Lite.esp
ELE_Fs_Lite.esp
oh yea, one other thing, if you're using the mod Helgen Reborn, you can NOT start a new game with it Enabled, you have to at the very least, wait till you leave ( outside ) the Cavern under Helgen

First and foremost, not using Helgen Reborn. No worries there.

I've only just had time to read this part, as I was working with the post beforehand first. I'll be installing Wyre shortly after posting this, and to add to that, I'm not even entirely sure what a Bashed Patch is. I'm stupid like that, but yeah. How do I know the difference between Bashed and Merged? ELE also has to be the very bottom mod, and I've been told to have Realistic Water Two as close to the bottom as I can. So would I bascially put them in order of top to bottom like:

RWT

RWT Patches/Addons

Alternate Start

Alternate Start Patches/Addons

ELE

ELE Patches

Something like that?

Thanks for the quick replies, both of you. Means a lot to be getting some quick feedback. Sorry that my issues continue to arise like that, hope I'm not taking up too much time from you guys. But still, thanks a ton! Any more info would be greatly appreciated!

yes that load order is perfect for YOUR load list

and DO NOT use a merged patch EVER, read my guide and you will see the part where 2 of the contributors from Wrye explained why using a merged patch is a VERY bad idea

Edited by gromulos

I had to have purchased all of Skyrim’s DLC by a certain point in order to be liable for the free upgrade. I only just recently purchased the Dragonborn DLC on PC. I had it on the Xbox, since the XB version is SSE, but apparently my PC never had it. I eventually plan on upgrading, not but at the moment, as much as I’d love to. But if I DID do so, it’d most likely be because of the fact that SSE supports more mods and such, rather than because of SSE’s graphics.

SSE does NOT support more mods, look at the file count for both Skyrim and SSE on the front page

oF32Se.jpg

Edited by gromulos

So, I did try those things. I couldn't figure out how to set some of them up properly though, so it would crash me. Especially ENBoost.

If you already have an ENB installed, then you don't need to install ENBoost because you already have it. You just have to set up enblocal.ini properly.

I can help with the rest if you're having problems.

SSE is way better. Since you have Skyrim LE, I recommend upgrading to Special Edition for free.

That offer was only available until the release date of Skyrim Special Edition, which was Oct 28, 2016.

SSE is way better. Since you have Skyrim LE, I recommend upgrading to Special Edition for free.

That offer was only available until the release date of Skyrim Special Edition, which was Oct 28, 2016.

Thanks, I never saw the details. Glad you corrected my misinformation here.