Getting DAI Mod Manager and Frosty to work together - is it possible?

Katarsi

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a few hours of attempting to get MM and Frosty working together, I've finally succeeded.

First of all, make sure that both Frosty and DAI executable are running with administrator rights. If they aren't, find the respective .exe files, NOT the shortcuts, right click them, choose Properties, in the window that has just popped out, open Compatibility tab, find and check the 'Run this program as an admintrator' box.

Then, make sure that your DAI isn't in the 'Read only' state. To check, right click the game folder, open Properties, and in the General tab tick 'Read only' box (tbh I'm not sure that it helped the deal, but still did it just in case).

Now, follow the first tutorial in this thread, but I'll add a couple of details from my own experience.

Install your mods with Mod Manager, move your original Patch folder somwhere else, change the name of Patch_ModManagerMerge to Patch, delete the ModManager line from the package.mft in the folder that you've just renamed. You don't have to change the patch version number, at least I didn't have to, it worked fine with the Version 15.

Now, open FrostyMM (remember that it should be running with administrator rights), add your desired mods, and MAKE SURE that they aren't the same mods that you've already installed with ModManager, otherwise it will result in problems, like freezes and crashes or not starting the game at all. For example, I've installed Solas complexion mod with both MM and Frosty and didn' notice it. Game started, I loaded my save at Skyhold and it worked just fine, but when I started running around to check if evefything's working fine, I walked into the room where Solas usually is, and as soon as I entered the room game just froze and I had to close it with Task Manager. When I removed this mod from the MM patch, it all loaded just fine.

When you've imported, applied and arranged your mods, hit Launch. It may take some time and may seem like the process is stuck, when the bar will be filled a little more than the middle, but eventually mod applying window will close and DAI should start running in a few seconds (it usually takes 5-10 seconds on my system).

And you don't have to use v1.0.4.2 Frosty, I use v1.0.5.2 and it works.

Don't forget to delete your ModData folder before every Launch of the game. But for me it wasn't necessary, it loads normally even with ModData folder.

Hope it helps.

Edited by viry2

• 5 months later...

I have tried MULTIPLE TIMES and I still cannot get this to work. Frosty won't even let me install mods. Every time I open it I get this message (typed because it wouldn't let me copy/paste)

An unhandled exception has occurred

The method or operation is not implemented.

at MS.Internal.AppModel.ITaskbarList.HrInit()

at System.Windows.ApplyTaskbarItemInfo()

at System.Windows.Window.WindowFilterMessage(InPtr hwnd, In32 msg, IntPtry wParam, IntPr 1Param, Boolean& handled)

at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.PublicHooksFilterMessage(InPtr hwnd, In32 msg, IntPtry wParam, IntPr 1Param, Boolean& handled

at Ms.Win32HwndWrapper.WndProc(InPtr hwnd, In32 msg, IntPtry wParam, IntPr 1Param, Boolean& handled)

at Ms.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)

at System.Windows.ThreadingExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Then it closes and won't open Frosty again. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, DAI tools, Frosty, and every mod it would let me install. NOTHING IS WORKING. I've googled the error, got nothing, redownloaded the game, nothing, followed different tutorials and instructions, nothing. I need help, this is beyond me. DAI tools works perfectly fine and installs mods and everything works, but Frosty is giving me fits. I open it, select DAI as the game, and then I get the error message above and it closes.

Someone help me, please. I'd be fine just using the frosty mods by themselves but frosty no longer works no matter how many times I uninstall, redownload, and install, and I canNOT figure out what this error means.

I tried multiple times, but when i start a new game and i got to character creation it gets past the card loading screen thing then the screen turns black as usual with the loading icon in the right bottom corner, after a few seconds it stops flashing and the screen freezes, this only happens when i launch through frosty too, if i don't and launch the normal way my DAImods work and also i get to play the game... help?

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried MULTIPLE TIMES and I still cannot get this to work. Frosty won't even let me install mods. Every time I open it I get this message (typed because it wouldn't let me copy/paste)

An unhandled exception has occurred

The method or operation is not implemented.

at MS.Internal.AppModel.ITaskbarList.HrInit()

at System.Windows.ApplyTaskbarItemInfo()

at System.Windows.Window.WindowFilterMessage(InPtr hwnd, In32 msg, IntPtry wParam, IntPr 1Param, Boolean& handled)

at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.PublicHooksFilterMessage(InPtr hwnd, In32 msg, IntPtry wParam, IntPr 1Param, Boolean& handled

at Ms.Win32HwndWrapper.WndProc(InPtr hwnd, In32 msg, IntPtry wParam, IntPr 1Param, Boolean& handled)

at Ms.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)

at System.Windows.ThreadingExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)

at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Then it closes and won't open Frosty again. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, DAI tools, Frosty, and every mod it would let me install. NOTHING IS WORKING. I've googled the error, got nothing, redownloaded the game, nothing, followed different tutorials and instructions, nothing. I need help, this is beyond me. DAI tools works perfectly fine and installs mods and everything works, but Frosty is giving me fits. I open it, select DAI as the game, and then I get the error message above and it closes.

Someone help me, please. I'd be fine just using the frosty mods by themselves but frosty no longer works no matter how many times I uninstall, redownload, and install, and I canNOT figure out what this error means.

I had this error myself, but it only happened when I tried to import mods in an archive, which wouldn't work 100% of the times, so maybe you can try to unzip the archive and import the contents of it with Frosty. But if you already did, I'm not sure what causes the problem then.

Being unable to launch Frosty sounds weird, if you reinstalled it multiple times already. If we're talking about the error mentioned above, it usually crashes Frosty, but I can still start it again. Maybe you need to delete Frosty's data from AppData folder or Program Data. It usually keeps a lot of stuff inside that can interfere, so you can google how to find AppData folder (it's usually hidden) and search for Frosty related files there and delete them, to get a clean installation and try again.

I'm not sure that it'll help, but that's the only solution that comes to mind.

I tried multiple times, but when i start a new game and i got to character creation it gets past the card loading screen thing then the screen turns black as usual with the loading icon in the right bottom corner, after a few seconds it stops flashing and the screen freezes, this only happens when i launch through frosty too, if i don't and launch the normal way my DAImods work and also i get to play the game... help?

You can check if you have conflicting mods, or the same mods installed with frosty and daimm, seems to me that it might be the case here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did everything you said but when I launch with Frosty it applies the mod but the game doesn't start at all. Doesn't even show in task manager.

When I launch with DAIMM alone, the game runs with no issues.

My DAIMM mod list attached below, and I use only alternate mage attack by wavebend in frosty.

Maybe you have a corrupted file and/or conflicting mods.

Ok, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I am experiencing a bug where I can get frosty to load and start a new game however when I save and exit then try to load it later it does not load and i get stuck on an infinitely loading black screen, anyone got any solutions because i'm at my wits end trying to figure this out thanks in advance.

Ok, apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, I am experiencing a bug where I can get frosty to load and start a new game however when I save and exit then try to load it later it does not load and i get stuck on an infinitely loading black screen, anyone got any solutions because i'm at my wits end trying to figure this out thanks in advance.

Hey, probably some issue with some mod. Whilst frosty can load some daimods, it doesn't take so well to loading daimod retextures through it, those can cause issues. So check you are not loading any daimod retextures through frosty. Also check you don't have any conflicts in FMM - go to the conflicts tab in the frosty mod manager, and if you see any cross and check marks under some of the names of the mods, that means some of your mods are conflicting. The cross and check marks will align with the "resource", aka, what file the mods are both editing and thus conflicting. Like this:

conflicts.png

The mod with checkmarks will override the conflicting file from the mod with crossmarks.

You will also want to check that you don't have any conflicts of mods between the 2 mod managers. DAIMM and FMM. In my experience when this happens you won't even get to the bioware logo when starting up the game as it just instantly goes into infinite load, but there may be exceptions so it's still worth looking into. Frosty tells you what files a mod is editing when you first apply it or click on it's name in your "available" mods list, there's a bit that says "affected files" at the bottom so you can see what it's editing. To check what files a mod edits with DAIMM what I usually do is open the daimod with notepad++, you could open it with the dai mod maker but it's more time and effort, so I just open it with notepad++ and look for the lines that start with "resource name." You can ignore the resource names that are labelled as type chunk, that's not really important.

Also when merging mods with DAIMM, make sure you're not getting any messages that such and such a file has been overridden by some other mod, because that does also mean conflicts.

Additionally, frosty textures can sometimes be a lil wonk and cause infinite load in some areas like the hinterlands like complexions sometimes. However Kittentails discovered that in the case of frosty complexions and anyways, using a mod that adds the character generation bundle to all areas can fix issues like the infinite load in hinterlands with those mods, so you may want to get your hands on the character generation bundle from their hair options mod if you are having that issue.

really it's a matter of first checking for conflicts, then going through all your mods for issues. In my experience the most problematic mods are retextures, so check your retextures, and then one down from that would be bad bundle edits with frosty, sometimes not all bundles like all areas so if you have any of those, check those. Really the recommended way to check for mods that are causing problems fast is to disable your mods in halves, so, disable half of them, check if the game runs, if it does, disable the half you just checked worked in game and re-enable the ones you disabled previously, and just continue to half the amount of mods you have enabled until you narrow it down to one particular mod causing the issue.

Edited by Dmitrias