Some advice for making a new trait

PlatinumShad0w

Trying to create my first mod and the start of my idea was to create a new trait perk that would apply the knockdown from "And Stay Back" to all firearms to make it feel like people react more naturally to being shot. I am trying to find the simplest and most elegant way to have this effect *both* human enemies and the player. I figured using the MisterSandmanFaction with the GetInFaction function was the most sensible (humans and non-feral ghouls) and, just to start testing, the WeaponListRangedALL with the IsInList function so that only ranged weapons get the effect.

Is it possible to apply the knockdown effect to the Perk Owner as well as the target on the condition that they are shot?

While I've gotten fairly good at creating my own stable load orders and fixing conflicts in FNVEdit, I've never actually made my own mod before since this is the first time I've never found what I was looking for already made by someone else.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

In the SPECIAL character system, traits are optional character modifications that affect the player character.

Perks are bonuses obtainable by the player character or companions.

Other actors (creatures and NPCs) can have such traits and perks as part of their Form-ID. However, if you attempt to change the Base-ID of vanilla actors, you will create problems for every other mod that uses them. This means you would have to create your own "custom" version of each actor.

See the 'Custom Creatures', 'TIP: Perks for Companions', 'TIP: Perk effect on target' entries in the "Getting started creating mods using GECK" and the "How to create a perk" Wiki articles.

You would most likely need to resort to using an NVSE EventHandler to apply the "knockback" effect to each target. Try searching for threads on "effect on target" or some similar phrase.

-Dubious-

In the SPECIAL character system, traits are optional character modifications that affect the player character.

Perks are bonuses obtainable by the player character or companions.

Other actors (creatures and NPCs) can have such traits and perks as part of their Form-ID. However, if you attempt to change the Base-ID of vanilla actors, you will create problems for every other mod that uses them. This means you would have to create your own "custom" version of each actor.

See the 'Custom Creatures', 'TIP: Perks for Companions', 'TIP: Perk effect on target' entries in the "Getting started creating mods using GECK" and the "How to create a perk" Wiki articles.

You would most likely need to resort to using an NVSE EventHandler to apply the "knockback" effect to each target. Try searching for threads on "effect on target" or some similar phrase.

-Dubious-

Thank you for the reply. See I thought maybe I could trick it by making the knockback apply to the player as a negative part of the trait using a GetIsID Player as Target or something. So that if the player selected that Trait, they would suffer the effects of the Knockdown Chance when hit by a weapon in the referenced List. But from my attempts, it doesn't seem like it will be that easy.

Appreciate the links you provided, I'll have to do some research or maybe think up a less specific way to achieve an effect that's similar to what I wanted but easier to engineer. I've never done any NVSE scripting before so it sounds advanced for me right now.