[Tutorial] How to erase mesh parts, define material ID/LOD, change mesh address reference

UberGrainy

The equipment I am trying to edit doesn't have the LOD line in it for some reason

And another piece of the same set only has one line while other armors have two lines for the LOD settings

Any idea what's the problem?

Edited by Puripurika

Hey guys, I'm super new at this but I think I figured out where we need to start from these instructions. First off, make sure you are looking at the .mod3 file!! (I wasted 8 hours combing the .mrl3 to no avail) If you ask yourself "What line am I looking for?' or "Where the heck is the chunk like the sample text?!", do yourself a favor and search for the lines containing:

FF FF FF FF 00 00

That should bring you to the final line of a block. From that point, just look up 3 rows, and you should be smack dab on the LOD line.

For the LOD changes you got two steps:

Change 01 00 to FF FF

Change 02 00, 04 00, 08 00, 10 00, E0 FF all to 00 00

It worked for me to get all of my mesh edits to show in game instead of only in workshop/item box. I have no idea why it all works, but this was the info I pieced together from looking at all sorts of posts on multiple mods. I don't know if it will break anything but I did notice that mod3 files that have been edited in this manner do NOT want to import into Blender.

I always look for the material names, then the LOD stuff is right under that. Then vertex groups (I think), and vertex data.

Note that when you hex edit the MOD3 files, import scripts won't work because they're expecting specific data.

So you need to have the unedited original version on hand if you want to re-import models. Either copy paste the original's data before the vertex stuff, or copy the vertex stuff from the modified MOD3 over the original MOD3.

You can safely copy paste everything after the last material data (it's the last line with something like FFFFFF at the start of it).

If you want to know specific addresses for data, it's all in the header. Refer to this (locations seem to be largely the same):

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/7048756-backup-mod-format-specifications-from-re6/

Edited by UberGrainy

• 3 years later...

I'm entirely new to modding so I'm not sure if I'm understanding this correctly, but would it be possible to use this process to remove just part of a piece of armor? I'm kind of going insane because I love the Damascus Beta set but the knife and pouch on the back of the waist piece constantly clip through the back of my Greatsword. Would I be able to remove the knife and pouch mesh using a hex editor?

it's been a while since you asked this, so I was wondering if you had an answer yet. I'm gonna try to do it myself and im a virgin.