Couldn't find a solution to this bug, which happens only in third-person and only when encumbered.

When in third person and encumbered the character can't move, but can still jump. I can also pan the camera around, sheath/ un-sheath/ swing weapon.

Sometimes spamming the movement buttons WASD allows me to move, other times I have to hold the move buttons which makes me move after about 2 seconds. Another weird thing is that looking in certain direction can help the character to start moving again, this works inside Whiterun, I can look at the Whiterun gate doors while in the city and I will be stuck, but if I look out across the road and up into the horizon I can move again. Looking at the ground generally stops the character from moving.

One thing that always helps is going into first person. I can move while encumbered in first person, switching to third allows me to move also. If I let go of the movement key while in first person and switch to third or let go of it after switching to third and press it again, I will be unable to move.

Any fix for this? I've went through some posts on this all the way from 2013. Can someone test this in vanilla, is this even a vanilla bug?

My mod order:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Unofficial High Resolution Patch.esp
FNIS.esp
RaceMenuMorphsCBBE.esp
Remodeled Armor.esp
VOBS.esp
KS Hairdos - HDT.esp
Footprints.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
SkyUI.esp
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp
XPMSE.esp
Warburg's 3D Paper World Map - Texture 1.esp

• 2 weeks later...

I encountered this last night in Skyrim SE after I installed some animation mods (360 walking, FNIS, XPMSSE Skeleton). I removed the mods but still had the issue. When I get home from work tonight I will clean/delete all animation files and folders and see if the issue persists. Hopefully, it is not bound to my saved game.

I found the problem. Good news - it is not related to the mods we have installed.

The player scale is the issue. If you have made the player a different size via console command (player.setscale XX.XX) getting stuck in 3rd person camera while encumbered happens. Set the scale back to 1.0 and all is good.

• 10 months later...

Sorry for raising the dead in this manner (2018 to 2019 says hi) but I will just add: if you type player.getscale, you SHOULD see your third person model scale (based on x.xx)

In my case, it seems whenever I see (based on 0.97) or lower, I will be unable to move while over encumbered (in third person or when using an immersive first person mod).

Breton and Khajit female characters are especially prone to this glitch; these will show player.getscale 1.00 (based on 0.95) which brings you below the 0.98 glitch threshold.

Like Cripp mentions this can be fixed; player.setscale 1.03 and you will now see (based on 0.98) so your Breton/Khajit (their base is a -0.05 offset) should no longer be stuck.

Note that the glitch occurs when you BECOME over encumbered, so ideally you should setscale while NOT encumbered, then check its effect by picking lots of heavy items.

Luckily it seems player.setscale is stored in your save so you don't have to redo it everytime you load up your game; just remember this if you ever need to reset player scale.

Note also that base < 0.98 glitch threshold might actually be higher in some cases, depending on which encumbrance/survival mods are loaded and debuffing player speed.

Edited by Sjakal

• 6 months later...

I have this exact problem too.

I am playing a Breton.

I have tried the player.setscale solution posted, sadly it didn't help.

But I've noticed a symptom or two I'll add here in case it helps someone more savy than me to figure this out.

1) The stuckness in 3rd happens only when I stay still, and look down with the controller (weapons sheathed) and then try to move. If I hold the stick for a few seconds (about 5 but it varies) I'll be able to move again, if I come to a stop I get stuck. Switching to 1st person allows me to move immediately, back to third and I am stuck, until I hold the move stick. Spining the camera seems to help unstuck.

2) I've noticed that the vertical camera axis speed is extremely slowed when stationary and looking down to get the stuck effect to happen.

(edit: I'm not encumbered, never was)

Edit Fixed:

I had in my skyrim.ini

blockframerate=0 so that I could run beyond 60fps.

I tried putting it to 1

loaded the game

and I can look down without getting stuck. Also the camera slowdown when looking down isn't as strong as it was.

very strange..