Console commands to force a line of dialogue?

stebbinsd

I remember hearing somewhere that, if a quest isn't progressing because NPCs aren't saying a line of dialogue that is needed for a quest to progress, a console command exists that can force the NPC to speak that line.

What console command is that? And how do I know what editor ID to enter to specify the right line of dialogue?

I haven't encountered a bug, per se. But I'm interested in trying my hand at machinima and I'd like to experiment around.

Your best bet is to load an earlier save and go from there. If you don't already, keep multiple saves.

A list of console commands and what they do may be found here... http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Console

If you look up the name of the quest you're working on, the Wiki article will give you the quest stages. You then use the SetStage command to advance to the next stage of the quest. It's best to do this at some location away from where you're having the problem. There is a command to force a character to say a certain line of dialoge; however, I believe that requires some work in the CK to find the specific line of dialogue. SetStage is easier.

IMPORTANT! Using console commands to advance a quest can break the quest. Always keep a save from before you used the command. In fact, I'll say it again...keep multiple saves.

Your best bet is to load an earlier save and go from there. If you don't already, keep multiple saves.

A list of console commands and what they do may be found here... http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Console

If you look up the name of the quest you're working on, the Wiki article will give you the quest stages. You then use the SetStage command to advance to the next stage of the quest. It's best to do this at some location away from where you're having the problem. There is a command to force a character to say a certain line of dialoge; however, I believe that requires some work in the CK to find the specific line of dialogue. SetStage is easier.

IMPORTANT! Using console commands to advance a quest can break the quest. Always keep a save from before you used the command. In fact, I'll say it again...keep multiple saves.

Read the god damned OP for the love of god! Not just the title!

You were given a link to a list of console commands by jannifer which should answer your god damned question.

That link does not include every console command in the game, and it doesn't include this console command I'm looking for, so no, it doesn't answer my god damned question.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

There is not a list of dialog topic IDs in the given link though.

Where is the list of the "dialog topic ID"s?

I'm trying to make it so I can make someone a follower who normally can't be a follower.

EDIT -
The NPC i'm trying to make a follower is Vigilant Tyranus.

Edited by g3n3r41dur4nd41

you can use the console Help command, followed by the NPC's name. If the NPC's name is more than one name, be sure to contain it between quotes.

IE

help Falion 4

help "Sergius Turrianus" 4

the <dial> tags will point the way to the prompt you want, and will provide the ID.

Cheers from Jax, Florida

Edited by sweetyankee