How to navigate copyright and get music for a radio mod?

I'd like to make a radio mod for Fallout 4, but I'm not sure how to go about getting music. I know what songs I want to use, but I don't know how to find out if they're licensed under creative commons. I know some of them must be, because they're used in other radio mods, but I don't know how to find out. For example, the song "Runaround Sue" by Dion and the Belmonts: I'm pretty sure Old World Radio uses it, and I'm sure I've heard it in FNV mods. However, I can't seem to find any information about how it's actually licensed, let alone how individual recordings are. How do I find this out?

In addition, does anyone have links to any good websites for finding free-to-use music that would be lore-friendly? I've found lots of sites that provide cc music, but not ones that are easily searchable by decade, for example.

I always used Rawhide as my opening music for Fonv, never uploaded it any where, just personally, song fits the atmosphere perfectly :smile:

might start here, there are links at the bottom - https://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl105.html

Edited by gromulos

First, "Runaround Sue" is most definitely still under copyright and I honestly doubt that any radio mod that features it actually went through the trouble of getting the license rights to use the song.

Simply because something shows up on Archive.org doesn't make it free to use or public domain. Archive.org allows community members to upload random stuff all the time and doesn't check to see if they have the proper license / copyright at all.

i remember in another post i had copied the actual law, and it was basically 100 or 120 years depending how the copyright was submitted, run around sue came out in the 60's I believe, so you got another 60-65 years before you can use it for a public uploaded mod lol

for personal use that you're not going to upload, you're fine

i remember in another post i had copied the actual law, and it was basically 100 or 120 years depending how the copyright was submitted, run around sue came out in the 60's I believe, so you got another 60-65 years before you can use it for a public uploaded mod lol

for personal use that you're not going to upload, you're fine

It's actually life of the author + 70 years. And since Dion DiMucci is still alive, there's a lot more time to wait before the copyright expires. Edited by Reneer

70 years

All works published in the United States before 1923 are in the public domain. Works published after 1922, but before 1978 are protected for 95 years from the date of publication. If the work was created, but not published, before 1978, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years.Mar 11, 2014

so you were right :)

70 years

All works published in the United States before 1923 are in the public domain. Works published after 1922, but before 1978 are protected for 95 years from the date of publication. If the work was created, but not published, before 1978, the copyright lasts for the life of the author plus 70 years.Mar 11, 2014

so you were right :smile:

I was partially right, at least. :tongue: Edited by Reneer

@deathmotif

Sorry but anytime i see the word FREE on the internet, i also see RED FLAGS going off lol

I myself would be VERY cautious of using anything from that site

just to make a small correction regarding your post

I know some of them must be, because they're used in other radio mods

this isn't actually a correct assumption

our moderation work here is based on reports . so the fact that some mod exists here doesn't mean that mod doesn't violate any rules . it simply means it has passed under our radar

so if you upload a mod that violates our rules , a defense of "but this mod does it and it's still up" is not valid

as such , never assume something is safe because it was done by someone else here . make sure you actually have evidence to provide in case you are asked to (in the case of a radio mod , proof that the music is indeed not under a license which you are breaching by repackaging and redistributing the songs) . this is a part of you being responsible for any mod you upload here , and as such you can and will be held responsible for these mods

having said that , this wasn't meant to dissuade you from creating this mod . in fact it's the opposite , I wholeheartedly encourage you to pursue this

but this is a very common misconception that I've seen all too often , and especially in the case of music it could be a real pain to follow

good luck with your mod :)