Question for people who use adult non lore-friendly content.

Skagens

anyway I happen to agree with M48A5. While the games lore may be "set in stone" We as the player have the freedom and choice to do what ever we want with it. That's part of what makes video games, and modding them, so great.

You can twist and bend the lore of the game with mods to fit your current play-through, but that doesn't make it lore in my opinion. You can circumvent the lore and perhaps fill in the blanks left by the game company but it's still there.

Edited by Skagens

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to be confusing "lore" with "setting" The setting of the Fallout series is a post apocalyptic world that was ravaged by a nuclear war.

This is set in stone. The lore is up to the player.

And who's to say that large breasted women aren't lore. With the FEV and various android experiments, large breasts could have been one of the Institute scientist's fetish.

I guess I misunderstood what your were asking about. From your second sentence of the OP, I thought you were including the Fallout series of games.

Even then, as a single player game, I will determine what I will follow as lore in any game I play.

My bad. I do also include the Fallout series, but the fact still remains. The lore is set. The world was ravaged by nuclear war between the major countries of the world. The world didn't end because aliens shot zombie-unicorns at us. Obviously that's a pretty ridiculous comparison but I feel like it illustrates my point.

That brings up a point I made in the original Nexus chat room a few years ago. You have a game setting where it's 200+ years after a nuclear war, and nothing has been manufactured since. Yet you have people running around in business suits that are STILL wearing manufactured underwear? THAT never made sense to me. and it's the main and sole reason why i always use a nude model for BOTH genders, not just the females. IF I need the armor or clothing then I take it, if I don't then the dead person stays dressed, it's that simple.

Still say there shouldn't be any underwear after 200 years lol

Well, not going to get involved into this discussion too much "again" (it has been discussed to death during my years of membership for more than 200 times in the past), but I also strongly disagree with you on that thing you call the "lore" being "set in stone" especially with Elder Scrolls games.

By my own past experience with other games of the series and migrating from an older to a newer, one thing I became very quickly accustomed to: The lore is completely rewritten from the grounds up with every new release.

So if not even the developers of the series themselves care about staying true to their own lore... why in all saints' names should "I" have to?

As long as I can weasel my way around to insert my ideas into the existing setting in a "to me" believable enough way... who the hell is anybody else to care?

My main character (and his fiance/companion) in about every single game I was able to mod it into so far has always been and always will be an anthropomorphic upright walking and talking shape shifting (mostly into human) Dragon from Ancient Earth. If anybody has a problem with that, feel free to go and complain to someone who cares. For I don't and won't. What I do at my home, in my game, and with my saves and/or mods, is my business, and my business alone.

I do understand those who care about the purity of what they call lore in "their" games, and will fight for their right to do so even, if ever challenged. But don't come at me with some made-up terms like "lore-breaking" in regards to what I create and/or use myself in only my own games and expect me to care.

That said, @OP, I don't think you'll ever get a satisfactory response, if you go and ask publicly. As many people as will respond, as many potentially completely different answers and/or reasons you will get. It's just human.

My main character (and his fiance/companion) in about every single game I was able to mod it into so far has always been and always will be an anthropomorphic upright walking and talking shape shifting (mostly into human) Dragon from Ancient Earth. If anybody has a problem with that, feel free to go and complain to someone who cares. For I don't and won't. What I do at my home, in my game, and with my saves and/or mods, is my business, and my business alone.

Correct, it's not my business or anybody else's business how you choose to play the game. My question was how someone could want to play their game like that. But I suppose the question comes off as aggressive, as if it's "wrong" to play their game like that. It's not, I was simply curious behind the reasoning. Guess the answer isn't more simple than "Because I can". I would never be able to enjoy the game the way you seem to play it but hey, you do you man.

You seem to be confusing "lore" with "setting" The setting of the Fallout series is a post apocalyptic world that was ravaged by a nuclear war.

The world being destroyed by nuclear war is in my mind lore. It's how the world ended, set in stone. If you felt like the world instead should've been ended by lizard people rising from the earth and conquering everything, you can choose to play the game that way but that doesn't make it correct lore-wise.

And who's to say that large breasted women aren't lore. With the FEV and various android experiments, large breasts could have been one of the Institute scientist's fetish.

Mutations make sense. Slightly larger breasts is something I'd accept. Breasts so large they look they're about to explode doesn't. You won't be able to convince me of that.

That brings up a point I made in the original Nexus chat room a few years ago. You have a game setting where it's 200+ years after a nuclear war, and nothing has been manufactured since. Yet you have people running around in business suits that are STILL wearing manufactured underwear? THAT never made sense to me. and it's the main and sole reason why i always use a nude model for BOTH genders, not just the females. IF I need the armor or clothing then I take it, if I don't then the dead person stays dressed, it's that simple.

Still say there shouldn't be any underwear after 200 years lol

I actually agree with you on this. Underwear doesn't really make sense for the people on the surface. Then again, I never viewed it as being part of the lore, more like Bethesda not wanting their games to get the nudity tag for their games or whatever. I'm not bothered by nude mods if they make sense.

I'm afraid I can't give you any more concrete answer than that. It's just the way I roll. It's a role-playing game, and this is the role I chose. Be it a first un-modded play-through as a Breton (Drake in human shape) with me only "pretending" to be (i.e. role-playing), or the second and third play-"testing" the races I made. The closer I get to the ideal re-creation, the more I enjoy playing the game. For what it's worth, in Morrowind I started as an Argonian, as they were far more dragon-like in shape back then. In Oblivion they were horribly lacking in the looks department, so fixing this was the first step I took after migrating.

And if the game can't provide what I need for it, I'm gladly now in a place where I can simply make it so it can. Those 12+ years of ES mod making experience must've been good for something, no?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing here, but

- Installing a Player or NPC model with balloon tits is perhaps like installing Thomas the Tank Engine mod. It's not supposed to be lore friendly. Its funny.

- I bet most of these players have played through the lore-friendly game numerous times. This sort of thing probably staves off a little boredom.

- The level of fidelity, variety, and creativity is enormous, so why not investigate. Curiosity is probably a big part of why this is a thing.

- Adding an attractive NPC or player model adds to the level of stimulation. So does game murder, thievery, lying, and other role playing...especially if the source of the stimulation is not mundane.

- Like a designer drug, a player can taylor his preferences from a huge number of choices, and may find a fantastically attractive game "wife" - not real, but this does add to immersion.

- What creators can do with scripts and sexy models is mind-blowing for a game this old, again this can certainly add to immersion, and imports a huge "wow" factor

- A young man (which sadly I am not) will probably hump anything that remotely resembles a female, such as a picture, a doll, a video, a novel, etc. So, is a game interactive video, really that strange?, or is it to be expected, and probably closer to normal.