Odd explosion glitch?

JW1

I decided to try to make the synth relay grenades a bit more useful. My objective was to get the grenades to spawn a levelled synth (LCharSynth) rather than a bottom-of-the-barrel Gen 1.

I set up a new set of synths based on those in the LCharSynth list, but when attempting to create a new levelled list containing them I discovered that the game does not permit scripted actors to be added to a list - which means that the synths can not have the "teleport in" effect.

Thus, it's trivially easy to get the relay grenade to spawn an LCharSynth, but the synth just appears with no visual effect.

To get around this I set up the following:

- the relay grenade spawns the synth and also places a second projectile.

- after 0.2s the second projectile explodes and the explosion has an attached magic effect that applies the "teleport in" effect to any synth in its radius.

This works really nicely and looks great.

However, there's one problem: this only works on the second and subsequent use of a grenade. If I load the game and throw a grenade, the second explosion doesn't occur and the synth just appears with no effects. If I then throw another grenade, everything works just fine.

Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Is it just a game engine limitation of some kind?

Thanks for the reply!

Upping the projectile count to 2 messes it up completely. Not only does the first grenade after a load not (apparently) spawn the second projectile(s), subsequent grenades only work seemingly at random. I suspect there's an issue with attempting to apply two of the same magic effect in the same frame in that case.

Let me just clarify: the second projectile, that is placed by the first explosion, is not the same as the first projectile. The first projectile is the grenade itself and generates an explosion that spawns the synth and the second projectile. The second projectile generates an explosion that applies a magic effect to the synths in its radius.

Edited by JW1