[LE] Creating a Custom Voiced Follower

SaltyNewt

So I'm assuming you know how to do everything but record the lines? The CK Wiki has a tutorial on adding voice to dialogue, but I'll try to condense it below if you don't feel like reading the full tutorial.

Preparation

First and foremost, you'll want to to save the recorded lines as .wav files.

Then get Audacity, because you'll almost definitely have to split the lines into smaller fragments.

Next, you'll need to set up the correct file path in your Data folder. This is where you'll place all of your recorded lines. The sequence should be:

Data\Sound\Voice\YourModName.esp\YourFollower'sVoiceType.

You'll replace YourModName.esp and YourFollower'sVoiceType with the name of your plugin (with the file extension) and the follower's voicetype, respectively.

Now, you can actually add the lines.

Adding the lines to the Creation Kit

In the Creation Kit, open up the quest containing your custom dialogue, then a topic, then an info. From there, select one of the dialogue lines to open up the Edit Response form.

Each dialogue line will need a separate voice file. If you need to cut down and duplicate a recorded line, do it.

Now, in the Audio section of the Edit Response form, there's a field labeled "Voice Filename". You'll want to copy all that gibberish in the field, and rename the corresponding recorded line to it.

Right above the OK button, there's a little button labeled "Generate Lip File". Select "From WAV" then hit it. It's important that every line has a corresponding .lip file, as they are necessary for an NPCs mouth to move in sync with the lines.

Once that's done, hit OK and repeat for the rest of the dialogue lines, and that's all there is to it.

If you were talking about actually recording the dialogue lines, this guy I know made a pretty great post on it. But I'm assuming you already have the mic you're gonna use to record, so I'm just gonna make one point.

Minimize noise and echo - You don't need a professional recording studio for audio to sound decent. Either record under a blanket, or in a closet full of clothes.

And of course, make sure your accent is as close as possible. We don't want any more Dark Elves with southern drawls. If you're voicing a High Elf, look up a specific High Elf on the Elder Scrolls Wiki or UESP, and try to find some of their lines. Record yourself replicating those lines, then compare your rendition to the original recording.

So I'm assuming you know how to do everything but record the lines? The CK Wiki has a tutorial on adding voice to dialogue, but I'll try to condense it below if you don't feel like reading the full tutorial.

Preparation

First and foremost, you'll want to to save the recorded lines as .wav files.

Then get Audacity, because you'll almost definitely have to split the lines into smaller fragments.

Next, you'll need to set up the correct file path in your Data folder. This is where you'll place all of your recorded lines. The sequence should be:

Data\Sound\Voice\YourModName.esp\YourFollower'sVoiceType.

You'll replace YourModName.esp and YourFollower'sVoiceType with the name of your plugin (with the file extension) and the follower's voicetype, respectively.

Now, you can actually add the lines.

Adding the lines to the Creation Kit

In the Creation Kit, open up the quest containing your custom dialogue, then a topic, then an info. From there, select one of the dialogue lines to open up the Edit Response form.

Each dialogue line will need a separate voice file. If you need to cut down and duplicate a recorded line, do it.

Now, in the Audio section of the Edit Response form, there's a field labeled "Voice Filename". You'll want to copy all that gibberish in the field, and rename the corresponding recorded line to it.

Right above the OK button, there's a little button labeled "Generate Lip File". Select "From WAV" then hit it. It's important that every line has a corresponding .lip file, as they are necessary for an NPCs mouth to move in sync with the lines.

Once that's done, hit OK and repeat for the rest of the dialogue lines, and that's all there is to it.

If you were talking about actually recording the dialogue lines, this guy I know made a pretty great post on it. But I'm assuming you already have the mic you're gonna use to record, so I'm just gonna make one point.

Minimize noise and echo - You don't need a professional recording studio for audio to sound decent. Either record under a blanket, or in a closet full of clothes.

And of course, make sure your accent is as close as possible. We don't want any more Dark Elves with southern drawls. If you're voicing a High Elf, look up a specific High Elf on the Elder Scrolls Wiki or UESP, and try to find some of their lines. Record yourself replicating those lines, then compare your rendition to the original recording.

Actually, I'm gonna record the lines myself. I've been wanting to do something like this for a while since I have a pretty good mic and I know a few tricks to make audio sound better in audacity. But my main problem is that I don't know what I have to record and how many variations of each response and stuff like that.