Skyrim LE CTD - Please Help

odinspearx

Hello! I am having a heck of a time with my Skyrim LE. I keep CTD, almost always on the overworld (ie not in a dungeon), almost always when combat is either imminent or started. Sometimes it just happens, sometimes it happens as soon as I hit Esc, or P, or I (to bring up menus).

The other major offender is freezing when I load into a town, especially Whiterun and Solitude. (However, this has MOSTLY stopped happening, since I started using the tools below.)

I am using MO 2. I have tried Loot, TES5Edit, Wyrebash, and the Save Game Cleaner (though that's not reporting any 000000 or # scripts right now). I don't have any "new" mods installed, they've all been in the game for some time, but I have been re-arranging the heck out of them, and bashing them (but not much cleaning of them ... I cleaned the few that Loot suggested, except for the main ones (skyrim, hearthfire, etc)).

I run all the tools through MO's interface.

I have Papyrus logging turned off ... there are a lot of sites that say it just doesn't help. I can turn them back on and post them if anyone wants to look.

I have had this experience ever since I owned the game, I've never finished the main quest because of this. I decided to try again a couple of months ago. It seems like the crashes are happening at or around Level 19. I restarted 4 times in the past few weeks/months, trying to get this figured out. I can probably recite all of Farengar's lines by heart. Currently I'm Level 29 or so ... using WyreBash and Tes5Edit and Loot, I have managed to hobble along, get stretches of a few hours at a time before crashing.

But now, I am up northeast of Riften, near Traitor's Post and the Shrine (to Bohethia?) and Yngol Barrow. I have had a hell of a time, with dozens of crashes over the last few times I tried to play. It is FRUSTRATING.

The most suspect mods I have (I THINK) are Skyrim Immersive Creatures, OBIS, Immersive Jewelry, and XPMSE. The reasons I suspect these: the crashes are maybe 80% around animals/monsters from SIC and/or Bandits, or when I open an inventory/loot a corpse (IJ?), and XPMSE simply for the sheer weight of its Papyrus log spamming. However, I have disabled all of these mods independently and still run into the issue.

Using nwsFollowerFramework, I have 4 non-standard followers that tag along with me: Poet, Katherine Goldenheart, Silke, and Emily, with RDO.

I have very recently used SIC's cell reset feature (which made for a very exciting exit to Yngol Barrow!!! And no crashes, at least until I got back to Traitor's Rest).

I have the Monli race, and I had to put the XPMSE skeleton into one of those folders. I believe it is working, because I have "barely made it" on all of the checks, and I can see the cloak spell settings. I have also tried to disable the cloak spell, but that doesn't seem to help with the crashing.

I have attached my (most recent) load order, as determined by LOOT. The file details the load order on the RIGHT side of MO. I have manually tried to make the LEFT side match, as close as possible.

Someone, PLEASE help me with this. Thanks so much in advance!!

EDIT: hardware specs: Intel i7 7700k with nvidia GeForce GTX 970. Config specs: I have Skyrim/Steam installed on a non-C: drive (it's on a spinning HDD), and I have the mods installed on my c: (SSD).

Edited by odinspearx

Sounds like you have a pretty good setup. Are you using any memory fixes? They won't show up in your load order.

I recommend these:

• Make sure you have the SKSE Memory Patch set up.
  • Install Crash Fixes and be sure to read the description. It requires SKSE Plugin Preloader. It changes how memory is allocated, which might fix crashes, and it can give you (somewhat) user-friendly error messages when you crash.
  • Install Load Game CTD Fix. It fixes a thread race condition when loading save games.
  • ENBoost - This gives you the memory management features of ENB without the visual effects processing. It lets you take advantage of more RAM. Not needed if you run an ENB (because it's included already).
  • Also, please see my ENB Checklist post if you do use an ENB.

Awesome thanks so much! I will try all these steps out.

I have already implemented the SKSE Memory Patch but I will definitely try it again.

I don't use ENB, but I have tried ENBoost, but, I didn't see any performance gain. I was up around 2.5 to 2.8 GB with and without it (using Skyrim Performance Monitor and leaving it open on my second monitor, since ENBoost disables the overlays).

Regardless, I will try all of these steps this weekend.

Thanks so much!

Ermehgerd.

So, I KNOW I did the skse ini file, I added it right to the Skyrim data/skse directory (did not make a MO mod). But since that was the first thing you said, I went and checked the data (folder) tab in MO ... and sure enough, the Monli race mod was overwriting it, plus a bunch of hdt physics stuff too!!!

I moved the monli mod back to the top of the load order (left pane), added the skse ini (since I had it anyway), made no further tweaks ... and so far I've been able to go to the Barrow, Traitor's Rest, the watchtower, and Bohethia's shrine, hitting P and I in every fight, and so far, no issues.

I can't believe it was something that small. I was ready to give up on the whole game!

Well, maybe there are more crashes imminent, I've only been playing 15 minutes or so, and if so, I will revisit this list.

Thank you so much!!