[LE] Making a follower switch weapons automatially in combat?

thek8ikat

Hello. I am currently working on a custom voiced follower and was wondering if anyone knows how to make one switch weapons in combat? I've seen NPCs switch between blades and their bow automatically before, but for some reason my follower won't do the same, and I put a crossbow in her inventory. I tested her while fighting a dragon, but she only used her mallet, even when the dragon was flying. What should I do for this?

Thank you!

Why create a follower when a mod that already exist does that in combat? :smile:

Amazing Follower Tweaks

Just make sure you can make your custom voiced follower to be a follower, controlled by AFT, by using the "Make a follower" or similar power spell in AFT.

I can only guess, but I think you need to give your follower both a sword and a bow with arrows not a crossbow as it isn't practical to shoot a dragon with a crossbow.

Hello. I am currently working on a custom voiced follower and was wondering if anyone knows how to make one switch weapons in combat? I've seen NPCs switch between blades and their bow automatically before, but for some reason my follower won't do the same, and I put a crossbow in her inventory. I tested her while fighting a dragon, but she only used her mallet, even when the dragon was flying. What should I do for this?

Thank you!

This is usually done, I believe, through combat-exclusive AI packages.

Followers use in combat automatically the best weapon and combat behaviour also pretends on the perks they own. Make the ranged weapon and the melee weapon your follower should use with the same values. Give him the basic perks for using them and he will switch automatically. But this will not work anymore if he uses other weapons you give him or he loots stronger ones. Solution is to take these out of his inventory anytime he uses other weapons.

This is only the simple way. I'm sure that this can be controlled with scripting or leveled lists, but I didn't try that and can't say anything about it.