Adding additional Attach Parent Slots to equipment in FO4Edit

LordValeth

Like the subject says, I'm trying to add modification slots to equipment. In particular, I have a mod that added cool looking gloves, but they don't allow for the glove modifications that Armorsmith Extended adds. (And I might want to add some other mod slots to other mod-added things as well, but I figure once I manage this it'll all be easy enough from there.)

At this point I've successfully used FO4Edit to alter existing values on equipment already, such as the range of a gun, so I'm not totally clueless with it. Furthermore, I've found the places where modification slots are added to equipment, and the name of the modification I want to add by looking at other gloves that do have the glove modification slot included. What I can't figure out is how to get FO4Edit to add additional slots to a piece of equipment. Not just edit the slots it has, but add another slot entry entirely. Unlike editing, say, ini files, it doesn't seem to be as simple as pressing Enter to add a new line and typing/pasting in what's needed. I'm pretty sure that simply putting in the correct Keyword entry would be pretty straightforward once I figured out how to add another one at all.

Furthermore, I understand there's the need to add an association to AE as a Master to actually get the additional armor mods it adds to work, and to be honest, I've never done anything like that at all, so some clarification on that would be nice too.

So can anyone help me with this? I've already tried asking Google and it's gotten me this far in the world of modding, but now I'm stuck. Based on my general experience with such matters though, I'm guessing it's probably not too hard to explain if you already know how.

scroll down on the *Right Pane Window* until you find "KWDA - Keywords", in this section right click on the blank box next to that word, click on ADD - then Right Click on the "Null Reference - 000000" <-- change the null reference to the keyword you wish to add, double clicking on it slowly, will bring up a drop down box with all keywords in the game

And Then

Scroll further down until you find this: *APPR - Attach Parent Slots* - again right click on the blank box next to this word, click on ADD - then Right Click on the "Null Reference - 000000" <-- change the null reference to the keyword you wish to add, double clicking on it slowly,

The Above Applies to F04Edit

Attach Parent Slots = Adds the new modification menus in the armor bench,

the Keywords = the actual modifications themselves, that can be applied to the Armor/Clothing in question

Clicking on ADD for both Keywords and Parent Slots, Adds new Slots

Edited by Guest

Thanks a lot for the answer! I figured it was something relatively simple that had me stopped cold, and sure enough, adding new entries via right clicking on those blank boxes at the top of their sections wasn't really all that complicated. But it was also something that just did not even remotely occur to me, so it might as well have been an impossible step until some kind person showed me what to do.

With that said though, while I knew there had to be some way to add new entries, I had completely missed the significance of the Keywords section, so thanks for pointing that out as well. I thought modification options were entirely about Attach Parent Slots and wasn't even considering the "KWDA - Keywords" section. I'm pretty sure I still don't fully understand the difference between KWDA Keywords and Attach Parent Slot usage - sometimes it seems like the same reference has to be added to both to add a modification, in other cases it seems like the two areas need their own slightly different Keyword variations, but at least I did it right enough to make it work.

Now the last step is to successfully add slots that require associating the esp with a new Master. In particular, Armorsmith Extended stuff. So far that has failed spectacularly, but that might just be due to the mod I was working on being set up a little funky. Is it absolutely necessary to for an esp to come after everything it references as a Master in your load order? I'm thinking that might be the issue here.

keywords tells the game what to add. parent slot, tells the game where to place it.

just as constructible objects grants the ability to craft something, such as weapon mods, and then of course you have the weapon mods themselves which will be another item.

everything works in two(s).

yes it is absolutely nessarary to place an esp that requires a master below said master file, however it does not necessary have to be directly below it, it can be anywhere. the more important thing is load order. if a mod should be placed in a particular place, then it should be placed their, regardless of where the master file it requires is.

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...

is there a way to do this exact same thing without the need for AWKCR?

Yes you would have to basically recreate AWKCR using your own Keywords, slots and scripts to meet your needs, then make it compatible with every armor you wanted to use. It's not impossible just time consuming.