Loading Issues, Crashing

DerDUDI

All experience to date indicates the only difference between GOG and Steam versions is the DRM. What works for one release of the game works for the other. One would expect that only some mod attempting to alter something at the hex code level (e.g. "JIP LN NVSE") might encounter a difference; but nothing has been reported yet that I am aware of.

And just to be clear: I agree "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" Wait for a new game.

-Dubious-

BASHED PATCH!

You can NOT use more than a few mods ( 3-4 ) with out a bashed patch, specially in Fallout 3 or New Vegas.

Follow my guide and make sure to do it STEP by STEP ( below ) and listen to both Dubious and Jim, between the 3 of us we are some of the most knowledgeable people that help others

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/2247404-fallout-new-vegas-beginners-guide-to-modding/

One key note: I do NOT recommend using a merged patch, a bashed patch will do more for you than a merged patch and if you have both the merged patch will just become redundant as the bashed patch will make the same fixes and just over write the merged patch.

If you read my guide this is all explained in detail in it by 2 of the main contributors to Wrye Bash / Flash / Smash

Hi! First of all, thank you for all of your help!

I haven't been at home, so I am going to try it out later, but I got a few questions when I tried before - so when I rebuild the patch when I rightklick bashed patch it told me to deactivate some suggested mods. Is this common? And after that there are options like merged patch and to import a lot of stuff (sounds, actors, names, scripts), so I check all of them, even merged patch, right?

After sorting the master in FNVEdit my mods are all green, at least I got this now :D

Do I have to bash my patch everytime now and start it with wrye? Or should I be fine now?

Have a great day.

Greetings

EDIT: So I just did a batch patch, checked all except merged patch and it went all fine. The mods I had to deactivate weren't checked after that in Wrye, but I guess thats ok. It loads perfectly in the main menu, but when I try to load my save it takes forever. Dunno, I waited 5 minutes and nothing happened :/ When I did merge the mods together it loads now. Lets see if the crashing is fixed, hopefully I've done all right.

Edited by DerDUDI

Let's see if we can't cover your questions.

1. "Deactivate mods". Yes, this will happen every time you rebuild the BP. Please see the wiki "Bashed Patch file with Marked Mergeables" article.

2. "after that there are options like merged patch and to import a lot of stuff (sounds, actors, names, scripts), so I check all of them, even merged patch, right?" Clarification: a "merged patch" is not the same as the BP. (Similar, but different. They can co-exist.) Please see the wiki "Merged Plugin Guidelines for Personal Use" article where these differences are discussed.

So yes, you do deal with a "merged patch" just as any other mod; and it might become "deactivated" as in point 1.

The BP options (left hand panel of categories; right-hand panel of option details per category) should be checked each time you rebuild the BP as any new plugins may need to have options selected. There is the ability to "save configuration" (at the bottom of the right-hand panel) so it will remember your choices for the next time, but you still should check for possible changes each time.

3. Every time you change your "sorted load order" (resort, add, or remove a mod) you have to rebuild your BP. It relies upon the relative position of each plugin, and when those change it is broken. This is actually one of the advantages of using WF. You would need to do so if you manually created a "merged patch" file using FNVEdit instead. (Take a look at the "number of records affected" info in the upper right corner to see just how much fun that would be. Mine's over 12K records.) It's quick and easy with WF.

4. Re: crashing. This is why we recommended you wait for a "new game" to try switching to WF. Any save game relies upon the presence of particular plugins and with WF and it's BP capabilities, these might suddenly not be found (e.g. "deactivated" aka "ghosted"). If you can get the save game to load, take the time to perform a "Clean Save" as laid out in the 'Clean Saves' section of the wiki "FNV General Mod Use Advice" article. That provides the best chance to resolve any changes due to the alteration of your load order.

5. You don't have to start the game with WF. (I don't.) But you can. It's just that when you launch a game from within some other program such as a "mod manager", you are incurring the "overhead" of that manager sitting idle and consuming memory and some CPU cycles while you play the game. If the manager program is 32-bit, and the game is 32-bit ... well I prefer to not have to worry about if they are sharing the same 4GB of memory space. The essential part of the OS already takes up enough of that.

-Dubious-