Skyrim "ini" files

popvirus2

I have looked to see if I could find a more appropriate location for this post and decided if I post it in the wrong place, one of the moderators or somebody will tell me...

Questions are about "ini" files...

1. Would someone please explain to me what ini files are supposed to be where. (talking Skyrim SE here)

I have (or had) duplicate "ini" files in my game folder and also in my steam path game folder and from researching the subject of duplicity, I decided to delete (saved for future reference if needed) the skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini file from my Steam game folder...(D:\STEAM\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition) and left the ini files in my game folder alone(C:\Users\Ronnie\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition)

There is a Skyrim_Default.ini that evidently is installed when an update for the game is DL-ed to the Steam folder.

anyway, I probably have effed up my ini file locations and need help understanding them...

right now there are three ini files for both skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini...(ini, ini.baked, ini.base) in my game folder (...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition))

and only the Skyrim_Default.ini file here (STEAM\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition)

I use SKSKSE64 and papyrus and have tried to get the ini files edited to allow the scripts to work and report errors...which seem to work ok since I followed the instructions.

post is getting too long and my attention deficit is kicking in...could someone be kind enough to help me understand what goes where please?

Follow on Question:

Fallout4 has a custom ini file....Fallout4Custom.ini

Does Skyrim SE need a SkyrimCustom .ini like FO4

thanks to anyone that decides to decifer my thoughts...lol

pops