Profiles and Load Order

HadToRegister

Can different profiles for the same game, have different load orders?

From what I gathered after experimenting by cloning my main gameplay profile the answer is a resounding "No", although I hope I'm wrong.

I recently tried this with Fallout 4, by cloning my FO4 profile, and then changing the load order (see: How do I edit rules in italics) and to my chagrin, my load order was also changed in my main profile as well.
Now, since there's no documentation yet, don't say "Well what did you expect, you said you CLONED your profile.....DUH"

I would like to think that Vortex has the ability to keep track of separate load orders no matter if the profile is cloned or not, as I would find this to be a super handy feature to have in order to blindly experiment with loot rules, groups etc, until official documentation comes out, while avoiding accidentally destroying my load order in my profile that I actually play the game with.

Being able to switch the load order around in a different profile or cloned profile without altering the main gameplay profile, , would allow people to to swap their load order around and view it in FO4Edit, for editing/merging/experimenting reasons

Load orders are, of course, kept seperately for each profile, as the list of mods is kept seperately and usually differs from profile to profile.

I guess what you're asking is, whether the custom RULES are kept seperately for each profile. I'm not 100% sure on that (that's why it's a good question), but I'd wager to say yes. Unfortunately, I can't look into the Vortex directory structure (I'm at work) that would answer the question right away.

By "atm" does that mean, by any chance, that such a feature is planned?

It wasn't planned yet but I guess it could make sense so I'm considering putting it on the todo list.

The thing is: load order is primarily intended to resolve conflicts and is very rarely about user preference, so why would you have different load orders between two profiles? Either the rule you set solves the conflict correctly, then it's good across all profiles or it's not.

I say "very rarely" it's about user preference - I'm not sure there are cases where two plugins conflict and either order is stable and you can't merge the plugins to get the full effect of both plugins and the difference between the load orders is then such that one user may want one for one play-through and another for the second.

It would be great if someone in preference of per-profile load-order could describe an example where this is in fact the case.

It wasn't planned yet but I guess it could make sense so I'm considering putting it on the todo list.

The thing is: load order is primarily intended to resolve conflicts and is very rarely about user preference, so why would you have different load orders between two profiles? Either the rule you set solves the conflict correctly, then it's good across all profiles or it's not.

I say "very rarely" it's about user preference - I'm not sure there are cases where two plugins conflict and either order is stable and you can't merge the plugins to get the full effect of both plugins and the difference between the load orders is then such that one user may want one for one play-through and another for the second.

It would be great if someone in preference of per-profile load-order could describe an example where this is in fact the case.

I stated the reason for this in my OP.

It's for experimenting with load order, for instance when a modder posts a "Suggested Load Order", and you want to try and match the "Suggested Load Order" without messing up your own load order by using load order rules, Index Lock etc with Vortex

ALSO, since you're reading this Tannin42, when I asked about moving the LOCK INDEX switch to the main Plugins page so you wouldn't have to double-click on every mod to see which mods were "index-locked", you said NO, which is fine.

Si I then suggested if you could add just a VISUAL INDICATOR such as changing the text color of a plugin, or adding an asterisk to the name of the mod or something

Something that wouldn't take up room on the interface.

Caps were for EMPHASIS....

• 2 years later...

Hello i have the same problem 2 Profiles for Fallout 4 but with different Mods and number of Mods.And here are the Problem that answer to your Question why some one will change the Load order.Profile 1 have 217 Mods Profile 2 247 Mods.70% of the Mods in both Profile have no problems and can be load in any order but the 30% of the Mods i must place Fix at the Bottom or in the middle of my Load Order.And here is now the Problem as Mod x must load at place 219.If i change now Profile to the one with only 217 Mods the place for that Mod remain.But the actual Profile don't have 219 Mods so the Mod get place at the Bottom what is wrong then.And that happen then with all Mods that have a Fix load Number all are at the wrong place if you switch between Profiles that don't have exact the same number of Mods.This make for me different Profile useless as i can not normal switch between them without a lot of Work and mess up always with the other profile.

Hello i have the same problem 2 Profiles for Fallout 4 but with different Mods and number of Mods.And here are the Problem that answer to your Question why some one will change the Load order.Profile 1 have 217 Mods Profile 2 247 Mods.70% of the Mods in both Profile have no problems and can be load in any order but the 30% of the Mods i must place Fix at the Bottom or in the middle of my Load Order.And here is now the Problem as Mod x must load at place 219.If i change now Profile to the one with only 217 Mods the place for that Mod remain.But the actual Profile don't have 219 Mods so the Mod get place at the Bottom what is wrong then.And that happen then with all Mods that have a Fix load Number all are at the wrong place if you switch between Profiles that don't have exact the same number of Mods.This make for me different Profile useless as i can not normal switch between them without a lot of Work and mess up always with the other profile.

First, this thread is two years old, at this point you should start your own, instead of necroing an old thread with a very different version of Vortex.

I have 6 Skyrim profiles, 259 mods, 344 mods, 375 mods, 2 mods, 323 mods, and 324 mods

I haven't had a problem with load order because I just disable or enable the mods I want to use between profiles, if I install new mods in a profile, I let Vortex sort them properly, most of the time you can ignore any directions to "Make sure my mod goes at the need of the load order"

If you're using Scrap Everything, then just put it in the Dynamic Patches group and be done with it.

But whatever you do, don't go following some Reddit "Perfect Load Order Guide"

Why do you have to move 30% of your mods in one profile all the way down to the bottom, when they were fine where they were in the other profile?

Also, TURN OFF AUTOSORT in the ESP Tab