Project Spotlight: Beyond Skyrim - Cyrodiil

BigBizkit

I think that the most disappointing aspect of the BS project was the decision to move entirely over to SSE, even though several years of work had already been done in LE, and - regardless of which version any of you may personally think of as better - the numbers still show that over two thirds of the player base are sticking with LE and that this is not changing much over time.

I understand the point being made that many of the modders are doing this for themselves first and fans second, but I can't imagine that the BS team is entirely made up of people who don't care much about seeing their mods played and enjoyed by others. I know that when I release mods, the more people who have access to my mods, the better. So cutting out two thirds of the player base seems like a very odd decision. But perhaps that's just me.

Anyway, in the Good News department, I'd like to mention that Rigmor of Cyrodil is going to be released very very shortly, if not tomorrow. Just one more demonstration that when it comes to ambitious mods. Modest goals, pursued by a small, dedicated team - or even one person working alone - have a much greater chance of success and release, hinting that perhaps focus is more important than actual hours worked, or the size of a given team.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one, am Blown away to the Amount of lore and detail that the Beyond Skyrim team/s have put into this mod (I honestly think Bethesda should hire all of you, for this work) the one mod from your team I would love to see is the Island of Vvardenfell, and seeing the Ruins/Crater where the City of Vivec once was, would be just awesome, and would probably give me a Nerd-gazim Keep up all the awesome work

In response to post #65327026.

SmedleyDButler wrote: I think that the most disappointing aspect of the BS project was the decision to move entirely over to SSE, even though several years of work had already been done in LE, and - regardless of which version any of you may personally think of as better - the numbers still show that over two thirds of the player base are sticking with LE and that this is not changing much over time.

I understand the point being made that many of the modders are doing this for themselves first and fans second, but I can't imagine that the BS team is entirely made up of people who don't care much about seeing their mods played and enjoyed by others. I know that when I release mods, the more people who have access to my mods, the better. So cutting out two thirds of the player base seems like a very odd decision. But perhaps that's just me.

Anyway, in the Good News department, I'd like to mention that Rigmor of Cyrodil is going to be released very very shortly, if not tomorrow. Just one more demonstration that when it comes to ambitious mods. Modest goals, pursued by a small, dedicated team - or even one person working alone - have a much greater chance of success and release, hinting that perhaps focus is more important than actual hours worked, or the size of a given team.

you have a source for that population claim?

because if I go and look on steam right now it's pretty even.

and then steam charts claims that it's pretty much a 50/50 split.

SmedleyDButler wrote: I think that the most disappointing aspect of the BS project was the decision to move entirely over to SSE, even though several years of work had already been done in LE, and - regardless of which version any of you may personally think of as better - the numbers still show that over two thirds of the player base are sticking with LE and that this is not changing much over time.

No, you're right; my numbers were out of date.

However, the same Steam Charts show that both editions of the game have been about even for nearly a year. I think that the argument that going SE is unnecessarily exclusionary still holds up with 50% instead of 66%.

• 4 weeks later...
In response to post #65374531.

SmedleyDButler wrote:

However, the same Steam Charts show that both editions of the game have been about even for nearly a year. I think that the argument that going SE is unnecessarily exclusionary still holds up with 50% instead of 66%.

It's a matter of necessity, not which version's player base is bigger. Oldrim engine wouldn't be able to handle a new full-blown province added.

And it's not my opinion, that was said by the devs themselves on Roscrea stream

SmedleyDButler wrote:

It's a matter of necessity, not which version's player base is bigger. Oldrim engine wouldn't be able to handle a new full-blown province added.

Which is funny, because the project (and many others) were undertaken on the assumption that the engine could handle another province just fine, and 5+ years of work were done under that assumption. Nor is the BS team the only group to have undertaken a project of similar size and not one of the non-BS parties has ever made that claim.

If they'd said they changed the because they wanted to, that's something else. Make the mod you want to make, sure, whatever. But trying to bolster a justification with a claim which directly contradicts their own words and actions of the previous several years is... questionable.

Edited by SmedleyDButler

• 2 weeks later...
In response to post #66107861.

SmedleyDButler wrote:

SmedleyDButler wrote:

Which is funny, because the project (and many others) were undertaken on the assumption that the engine could handle another province just fine, and 5+ years of work were done under that assumption. Nor is the BS team the only group to have undertaken a project of similar size and not one of the non-BS parties has ever made that claim.

If they'd said they changed the because they wanted to, that's something else. Make the mod you want to make, sure, whatever. But trying to bolster a justification with a claim which directly contradicts their own words and actions of the previous several years is... questionable.

They've directly claimed that they cannot do it on oldrim mate.

SmedleyDButler wrote:

SmedleyDButler wrote:

You're literally just repeating an earlier post with nothing new.

So I will also repeat myself too: If it was impossible in Oldrim, then why did they spend 5 years working on it in Oldrim, with the expectation that it would be released for Oldrim?

It only became "impossible" after SSE dropped.

You don't want to make it for Oldrim, sure. But don't lie about why.

• 2 weeks later...
In response to post #66387126.

SmedleyDButler wrote:

SmedleyDButler wrote:

SmedleyDButler wrote:

You're literally just repeating an earlier post with nothing new.

So I will also repeat myself too: If it was impossible in Oldrim, then why did they spend 5 years working on it in Oldrim, with the expectation that it would be released for Oldrim?

It only became "impossible" after SSE dropped.

You don't want to make it for Oldrim, sure. But don't lie about why.

if you want definitive proof on whether or not they're making the mod in oldrim or sse, watch:
timestamp: 22:50

Edited by phillipjohnmc