BigBizkit

In response to post #66387126.

SmedleyDButler wrote:

In response to post #66107861.

SmedleyDButler wrote:

In response to post #65374531.

SmedleyDButler wrote:

In response to post #65327026.

SmedleyDButler wrote: I think that the most disappointing aspect of the BS project was the decision to move entirely over to SSE, even though several years of work had already been done in LE, and - regardless of which version any of you may personally think of as better - the numbers still show that over two thirds of the player base are sticking with LE and that this is not changing much over time.

I understand the point being made that many of the modders are doing this for themselves first and fans second, but I can't imagine that the BS team is entirely made up of people who don't care much about seeing their mods played and enjoyed by others. I know that when I release mods, the more people who have access to my mods, the better. So cutting out two thirds of the player base seems like a very odd decision. But perhaps that's just me.

Anyway, in the Good News department, I'd like to mention that Rigmor of Cyrodil is going to be released very very shortly, if not tomorrow. Just one more demonstration that when it comes to ambitious mods. Modest goals, pursued by a small, dedicated team - or even one person working alone - have a much greater chance of success and release, hinting that perhaps focus is more important than actual hours worked, or the size of a given team.

you have a source for that population claim?

because if I go and look on steam right now it's pretty even.

and then steam charts claims that it's pretty much a 50/50 split.

No, you're right; my numbers were out of date.

However, the same Steam Charts show that both editions of the game have been about even for nearly a year. I think that the argument that going SE is unnecessarily exclusionary still holds up with 50% instead of 66%.

It's a matter of necessity, not which version's player base is bigger. Oldrim engine wouldn't be able to handle a new full-blown province added.

And it's not my opinion, that was said by the devs themselves on Roscrea stream

Which is funny, because the project (and many others) were undertaken on the assumption that the engine could handle another province just fine, and 5+ years of work were done under that assumption. Nor is the BS team the only group to have undertaken a project of similar size and not one of the non-BS parties has ever made that claim.

If they'd said they changed the because they wanted to, that's something else. Make the mod you want to make, sure, whatever. But trying to bolster a justification with a claim which directly contradicts their own words and actions of the previous several years is... questionable.

They've directly claimed that they cannot do it on oldrim mate.

You're literally just repeating an earlier post with nothing new.

So I will also repeat myself too: If it was impossible in Oldrim, then why did they spend 5 years working on it in Oldrim, with the expectation that it would be released for Oldrim?

It only became "impossible" after SSE dropped.

You don't want to make it for Oldrim, sure. But don't lie about why.

if you want definitive proof on whether or not they're making the mod in oldrim or sse, watch:

timestamp: 22:50

This is actually very good news and the first I'd heard of this anywhere. I'd given up following the project very closely after the announcement that they were going to move development entirely to SSE, which frankly seemed very firm at the time. I expect that's why the streamer doing the interview is also surprised.

Whatever internal discussion took place, well, thank goodness they changed their minds to revert to the original plan.

I suppose this is another confirmation that development of such large modules all within Oldrim is perfectly feasible.

Well, thanks for the heads-up!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #66774541.

SmedleyDButler wrote:

In response to post #66387126.

SmedleyDButler wrote:

In response to post #66107861.

SmedleyDButler wrote:

In response to post #65374531.

SmedleyDButler wrote:

In response to post #65327026.

SmedleyDButler wrote: I think that the most disappointing aspect of the BS project was the decision to move entirely over to SSE, even though several years of work had already been done in LE, and - regardless of which version any of you may personally think of as better - the numbers still show that over two thirds of the player base are sticking with LE and that this is not changing much over time.

I understand the point being made that many of the modders are doing this for themselves first and fans second, but I can't imagine that the BS team is entirely made up of people who don't care much about seeing their mods played and enjoyed by others. I know that when I release mods, the more people who have access to my mods, the better. So cutting out two thirds of the player base seems like a very odd decision. But perhaps that's just me.

Anyway, in the Good News department, I'd like to mention that Rigmor of Cyrodil is going to be released very very shortly, if not tomorrow. Just one more demonstration that when it comes to ambitious mods. Modest goals, pursued by a small, dedicated team - or even one person working alone - have a much greater chance of success and release, hinting that perhaps focus is more important than actual hours worked, or the size of a given team.

you have a source for that population claim?

because if I go and look on steam right now it's pretty even.

and then steam charts claims that it's pretty much a 50/50 split.

No, you're right; my numbers were out of date.

However, the same Steam Charts show that both editions of the game have been about even for nearly a year. I think that the argument that going SE is unnecessarily exclusionary still holds up with 50% instead of 66%.

It's a matter of necessity, not which version's player base is bigger. Oldrim engine wouldn't be able to handle a new full-blown province added.

And it's not my opinion, that was said by the devs themselves on Roscrea stream

Which is funny, because the project (and many others) were undertaken on the assumption that the engine could handle another province just fine, and 5+ years of work were done under that assumption. Nor is the BS team the only group to have undertaken a project of similar size and not one of the non-BS parties has ever made that claim.

If they'd said they changed the because they wanted to, that's something else. Make the mod you want to make, sure, whatever. But trying to bolster a justification with a claim which directly contradicts their own words and actions of the previous several years is... questionable.

They've directly claimed that they cannot do it on oldrim mate.

You're literally just repeating an earlier post with nothing new.

So I will also repeat myself too: If it was impossible in Oldrim, then why did they spend 5 years working on it in Oldrim, with the expectation that it would be released for Oldrim?

It only became "impossible" after SSE dropped.

You don't want to make it for Oldrim, sure. But don't lie about why.

if you want definitive proof on whether or not they're making the mod in oldrim or sse, watch:
timestamp: 22:50

This is actually very good news and the first I'd heard of this anywhere. I'd given up following the project very closely after the announcement that they were going to move development entirely to SSE, which frankly seemed very firm at the time. I expect that's why the streamer doing the interview is also surprised.

Whatever internal discussion took place, well, thank goodness they changed their minds to revert to the original plan.

I suppose this is another confirmation that development of such large modules all within Oldrim is perfectly feasible.

Well, thanks for the heads-up!

yeah they really should release it on both versions. i'm excited about the project but I don't want to get too excited because I think this is still a long ways off. but, TES6 is a long long looong ways off, so i'm not worried that that will drop and all interest in bs projects will just cease to exist. I think we'll see all of it in a couple years' time. and I think there will be other BS projects coming out sooner rather than later, namely Roscrea and Atmora, so i'm hanging in there

Yeah, it'll be a while before we see anything, which is fine. There's some other modders doing interim projects we might see sooner. I'd really like to see someone release some work with Skyrim's eastern border... (there's one project on Nexus already but it's landscape only at the moment - towns and quests and such are a long ways off). The western border has Beyond Reach, which may not be perfect but has reached a pretty playable and stable state, so it'll do until we see Illiac Bay (which might be a very long way off given it's TWO provinces).

Atmora I was excited for before. No idea where they're at now, because they were originally hoping to release in early-mid 2018. We'll see, I suppose.

You're right that we're still a long ways off TES6. First, no one knows what they're going to do with the disaster that is Fallout 76, and they're still meaning to launch an entirely new flagship franchise before getting to TES6 (can't recall the name at the moment). I assume we're looking at 1-2 years minimum before they even start WORKING on TES6, let alone releasing it.

• 2 months later...

Here's proof that Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodiil has gone Skyrim SE-exclusive direct from BS - Bruma's very own Wiki page folks:

https://beyondskyrim.fandom.com/wiki/Beyond_Skyrim:_Bruma?fbclid=IwAR0IQfBeeEnFU6Stgm6Hy-JgoPBQEzZtbqjYoQq8GEolPZuNy6xHSfRkuWY

Further proof: https://i.imgur.com/PEl0Oy5.png

Oldrim's 32 bit engine simply cannot handle exceptionally large worldspaces/maps like Cyrodiil. The full release of BS: Cyrodiil/other Beyond Skyrim mod projects won't come to X-Box One due to Micro$oft's 5 GB space cap for mods. PS4 users are entirely SOL when it comes to any Beyond Skyrim content due to Sony's outright ban on any external assets in mods for their platform.

Edited by ff7legend

Here's proof that Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodiil has gone Skyrim SE-exclusive direct from BS - Bruma's very own Wiki page folks:

https://beyondskyrim.fandom.com/wiki/Beyond_Skyrim:_Bruma?fbclid=IwAR0IQfBeeEnFU6Stgm6Hy-JgoPBQEzZtbqjYoQq8GEolPZuNy6xHSfRkuWY

Further proof: https://i.imgur.com/PEl0Oy5.png

Oldrim's 32 bit engine simply cannot handle exceptionally large worldspaces/maps like Cyrodiil. The full release of BS: Cyrodiil/other Beyond Skyrim mod projects won't come to X-Box One due to Micro$oft's 5 GB space cap for mods. PS4 users are entirely SOL when it comes to any Beyond Skyrim content due to Sony's outright ban on any external assets in mods for their platform.

That's from 2017. I was relying on the same outdated information you're referring to.

The information posted above by phillipjohnmc is much more recent.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It took me a week just to manually replace vanilla armors and weapons (mixing all types of weapons and armors from different mods into loose files, no esp).

I cant imagine how long it will take to make an entire province.

Take as many time as you guys want, i rather wait a year longer for a well polished mod than get a buggy mess and have to wait a year again until it becomes stable lol

• 2 months later...

So impressive !

Does someone know if they planned to translate it for non-english speaking community ?

(sorry if it has already been asked, I didn't find the answer)

Can't wait to play it anyway !